PDA

View Full Version : Symantec offers NAV 10.0 for Intel Macs

MacBytes
Jan 27, 2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Symantec offers NAV 10.0 for Intel Macs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060127222317)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

GoCubsGo
Jan 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
Are they trying to tell us something?

winmacguy
Jan 27, 2006, 11:22 PM
The only reason a Mac user would install this on their system is to stop them from sending any PC type viruses on to any other PCs that might be on their network. Other than that NAV 10 would be a waste of space.

macFanDave
Jan 28, 2006, 12:39 AM
I'm going to camp out all night in front of the Apple Store so I can be first in line to NOT buy it!

Analog Kid
Jan 30, 2006, 02:43 AM
The only reason a Mac user would install this on their system is to stop them from sending any PC type viruses on to any other PCs that might be on their network. Other than that NAV 10 would be a waste of space.
Seriously-- is this what the patterns are for? I've always wondered what NAV and Virex and other are looking for since there aren't any real threats out there yet.

I just assumed they were protecting against the proofs of concepts and setting up an update conduit for the day a real virus hits. Are they scanning for Windows virii too?

Timepass
Jan 30, 2006, 08:38 AM
Rememeber macs do feel some of the side effects of PC viruses. Not directly but indirectly in network and internet slowdown from the raw ammount of traffic. Rememeber when blaster and a few of those other worms first where release the entire internet world wide was taken to a crawl.

mkrishnan
Jan 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
There goes the neighborhood. :eek: ;) :D

*checks watch* So, the Mac/Intel platform officially has its first crap piece of software? ;)

~Shard~
Jan 30, 2006, 08:52 AM
What a useless peice of software. The only reason I would install this on my machine is to experience the lag that Windows users experience when they load this resource hog on their machines. For them though, I suppose they don't have a choice. As a Mac user, I don't need to worry about such matters. ;) :cool:

Does anyone actually use this software?!? :confused:

stoid
Jan 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
Using Virus protection software on a Mac is like wearing a condom when you masturbate. It does nothing for you, but it can still catch messes and keep them from spreading.

~Shard~
Jan 30, 2006, 09:18 AM
Using Virus protection software on a Mac is like wearing a condom when you masturbate. It does nothing for you, but it can still catch messes and keep them from spreading.

I approve of this analogy. :cool:

bugfaceuk
Jan 30, 2006, 09:21 AM

It's such a damn shame there is no "reputation" activated on this vBulletin board because this post deserves serious kudos!!

I'm not even sure what the mess is though, I mean, .Mail is not going to forward on the viruses is it? I mean WHAT IS THE POINT?

yellow
Jan 30, 2006, 09:25 AM
Norton products on my New World Mac? I don't think so. Nice try Symantec.

Palad1
Jan 30, 2006, 10:08 AM
Stay away from symantec/norton.

There exist a hoard of perfectly engineered OSS system solutions, we don't need Symantec's overengineered cruftware.

SiliconAddict
Jan 30, 2006, 10:09 AM
I would consider running this if it wasn't for the likely fact that its probably the consumer end of Symantec's AV solution. Honestly if it was running Windows without AV software or Symantec's home user solution I'd go without. The best AV software I've ever used was Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition. Its lean, it doesn't have this moronic web based interface that uses IE's render engine, it doesn't encompass half a dozen different apps to make one big buggy app, and its interface is a heck of a lot more user friendly.
In short I wouldn’t hesitate to use NAV on a Mac as long as it's NAV-CE.

Palad1
Jan 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
Even NAV corporate can be exploited by some viruses.

But I do agree that NAV CE is the least intrusive and cumbersome of the lot.