Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sakino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Do you plan on carrying it around with you on a regular basis. Although I havnt seen it yet, I have measured it out on a table and i find the width of it to be rather big. Don't you feel its going to be a pain to carry it around on a regular basis?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: For those of you that ordered the 17" pb, I got a question

Originally posted by Sakino
Do you plan on carrying it around with you on a regular basis. Although I havnt seen it yet, I have measured it out on a table and i find the width of it to be rather big. Don't you feel its going to be a pain to carry it around on a regular basis?

I'm betting the people who really have been wanting such a beast have generally been people who wanted a portable desktop than a real laptop.

ie. they might go from one place to another and setup their powerbook.... rather than crazy mobile traveling.

arn

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
I played with one at MWSF, and it is too big for regular travel. It will require a new breed of laptop bags, is a bit unweildy to handle (due more to size than weight), and won't fit in my current backpack size bag.

However, as a mobile editing station, in a dj booth, or while presenting (via a capable projector), the extra pixels will be useful.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yeah, for instance a graphics designer that wanted to have the same data and setup at work and at home, rather than having to tote a hard drive back and forth and buy duplicates of hardware, they can just move the 17" twice a day. personally i wouldn't take this thing to a national park or mountain climbing or anything...

:)
pnw

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah its really set for the urban graphic designer as such...the 15.4 inch when it arrives will fill out the rest of the range. I personally cant wait to have enough money for the 17. Ive even made a styrofoam model of it to scale just to see how it goes...its perfect as a desktop replacement which I wont be moving around too often...Brilliant for clients and full page design work...perhaps with the carry bags, companies will come out with a new range of bags...I know you can fit it in most backpacks but it would be very tight and a bit dangerous but I wouldnt need to do that. You can carry it around no problem...its just a bit more conspicuous..then again all of apples products are conspicuous by the attention they get..hehe

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
Plenty of bag companies are already offering bags. I e-mail timbuk2 and they are bringing out one in a couple of weeks, i'll be ordering it the minute it arrives.

While i don't think you'll be using it on your lap while waiting for a bus it is not all that big in the end, quite portable.

regan

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2003
nyc
actually...the 17" aint that big if you consider...

I have the older graphite clamshell ibook, and it is over 13" wide...and THICK...yet extremely portable. I've brought it to asia, the jugnle, the mountains....

the new 17" model is alittle over 15" wide. That is an inch past each side of my ibook. Yet its only an inch thick. Not bad at all.

I'm really dying to see one of these up close and in person at the apple store. It'll be between the 17" and the 15" aluma book...WHENEVER that comes out.

The waiting is killin me

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I plan to use it as a mobile workstation. "Park and bark" as they say in some circles. Just a setup so that I can take it where I want and sit and work for awhile. Not so much to tote around and work while moving around a lot.

Although I'm still very curious about Bluetooth. It seems like such a limited technology with it's relatively low data transfer rate. I guess maybe once my oven and TV are bluetooth compatible it will be differnet. Or not. Bluetooth seems a lot like the IR port in my Pismo, kinda cool, but I've never used it. I'd love to have a TV tuner in here though. Anyway, a different thread all together.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by jaguarx
Plenty of bag companies are already offering bags. I e-mail timbuk2 and they are bringing out one in a couple of weeks, i'll be ordering it the minute it arrives.

Hey jaguarx, I need a bag for a 15". What I want is a hardside bag with some foam around the edges and protection on the sides. I have the old model with the yo-yo. I'd like a hard separation between the laptop side and the accessories side where I'd stick the yo-yo, disks, papers and whatnot. MacMall has a hardside bag but it looks too thin for the yo-yo. Who are these timbuk2 people?

rundevilrun

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2002
I wouldn't really call any notebook truly "portable" unless it's really unobtrusive and maybe clips onto your belt like a pager. That said I ordered my 17" last night with the Brenthaven backpack. I will use the backpack for transporting the pb to wherever I'm going and then unloading it and using the backpack for carrying my camera gear, so I don't see the size of the 17" to be any more of a problem than my old 15" pb.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Re: timbuk2

Originally posted by robbieduncan
http://www.timbuk2.com/

I got a really great sleeve for my iBook from them. Takes a few days, but that's because the make it for you based on your order :D

Robbie,
Thanks for that link. I wasn't aware of that site. I've been looking for a sleeve for my iBook, and Timbuk2's are perfect. I ordered one this morning.

artmc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
RE: Notebook Bags

Another company I spoke to is Tom Bihn and was informed that they would have a Brain Cell or Monolith for the 17" AlBooks when they start shipping. There is a link on the main page that has more details. The Monolith will fit in my Brain Bag. This is a really large backpack, not built for the shorter crowd. But boy does this thing have room. I recently stuffed it with just under 60lbs of "stuff" including my TiBook. Very heavy, but it was pretty comfortable. So if anyone is looking for a bag, this would be my suggestion. :)

* art *

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
Absolutely and i'm taking it to Starbucks or coffee houses that features wireless service. I will use my Boblbee Metropolis case and take it EVERYWHERE!

Sakino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
I guess if I were to order the 17" pb I would get a kick out of it. I would take it with me everywhere on campus, and I would enjoy the look on the peoples faces when i whip at the 17 inch pb. I gues I am going to wait awhile and see what is up witht he 15 inch pb, and them order mine from my school.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Me, I plan to simply get a sleeve from http://www.sfbags.com for protection, then stick it in my backpack. And yes, I will be carrying it around with me on campus...this will be my last semester here, and I do not think 6.8 lbs is heavy. I've been carrying around my PC laptop for years now...no complaints. I love the big screen, and hey, it'd be cool to show it off. It'd be nice to carry it off to med/grad school as well. :D

Anyway, I really need the screen real estate...I multi-task with a vengence. And the back lit keyboard will come in handy when I get a telescope+digicam in a couple of months. And it's my main computer...I currently own a 200 MHz Pentium MMX desktop.

So yeah.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
15 or 17 - either will fit in my business case

Well - reaching all new levels of procrastination, I drove over to the Apple Store in Tysons Corner, VA yesterday to play with the 15.2" model - which didn't seem too large at all - owing probably to the squat widscreen design. I measured out the less than one inch add'n of depth and put two inches on the width - and it still didn't seem too large to carry as a portable. I have a bottom-standing briefcase in which I could stick the PB in a protective sleave and carry it everywhere with me as conveniently as if it were the 15" (just another pound pulling me down, but the briefcase size doesn't change). I'm tempted to go with the 17" as a better machine to edit our DV home movies of the fam. on. I'm still waiting to try the 17 and 15 side-by-side. The rep. at the Apple Store told me that they expected to have the 17" demonstration machines in by February 20th. Perhaps there will be an apples-to-apples comparison possible at that time if the new 15" PB are released (but who knows how long those will take to get to the store once announced - even the demos - given Apple's overseas production ramp-up time).

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Don't you know that size doesn't matter?

As with many things, its the looks of envy you'll get when you whip it out in public that counts...;)

My Hacker Rucksack is big enough as long as I take the little cable bag out first.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Of course I would carry around my 17" PB. It's not that heavy (usually I carry 1-3 laptops with me sometimes or one iBook with four textbooks :( ). The reason why is as everyone said, it's a portable desktop. I wouldn't want to be carrying around a 50 pound Power Mac G4 and a Cinema Display!

The drawback: it's a little too big and well, you don't want to know the number of guys who hit on me because of my beautiful Apple laptops. I kinda got used to it after a while now I have to get used to the drool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.