Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
This morning brought me a lot of joy. First and foremost, I've been accepted in University College Dublin for Computer Science! :D

If this wasn't already a great day, my Farallon MacRecorder arrived in the post as well. Not as big a story but it makes me smile nonetheless.

To my surprise however, it came alongside a 1991 Apple Microphone. It is completely sealed in its original OEM style packaging with the plastic wrapper still intact.

I would like to open it up, but as always I feel awful unwrapping even minor trinkets such as this due to their age. I couldn't even open a 1987 LocalTalk manual from its plastic seal...
It's not like this is an unopened TAM or anything!

What do you think guys? Shall I treat myself to a factory sealed microphone? :p

Last edited:

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Well congrats on getting the grades for Uni - Computer Science is always a worthwhile choice, you learn a lot of the background to computing and can apply that later in life to whatever field you choose. I certainly learnt more from my CompSci modules than the more "hands-on" stuff.

As for the mic - how special actually is it? Worth selling on to get some beer (Guinness, I presume!) money for Uni?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Congratulations on your entry.

As for the Mic, most I've ever seen were never used so still had the wrapper on.

That said, I'll reiterate what I always say;

Things that end up rare are often those things that people see no value in years earlier. :eek:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I was indulgent and opened it. :D

That's a good point though MacTech. To think of all the 128K's thrown away for being obsolete! :O

I have Classic II, released the same year, to hook it up too so it is serving a function.

It's this one:

apple-mic.JPG

Hmmm that Japanese factory smell...oddly like...pure alcohol...

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
This morning brought me a lot of joy. First and foremost, I've been accepted in University College Dublin for Computer Science! :D

If this wasn't already a great day, my Farallon MacRecorder arrived in the post as well. Not as big a story but it makes me smile nonetheless.

To my surprise however, it came alongside a 1991 Apple Microphone. It is completely sealed in its original OEM style packaging with the plastic wrapper still intact.

I would like to open it up, but as always I feel awful unwrapping even minor trinkets such as this due to their age. I couldn't even open a 1987 LocalTalk manual from its plastic seal...
It's not like this is an unopened TAM or anything!

What do you think guys? Shall I treat myself to a factory sealed microphone? :p

I actually got a Macintosh Classic II from e-waste and with it was a sealed microphone as well! I am the same as you in that way; I never like to open really old things because I feel that it changes everything. It ends its streak of staying in the package for years and makes it less interesting. On mine, the microphone inside is wrapped and hasn't been opened. I don't plan on doing so... If I were you, I would keep it wrapped. Sure, you won't enjoy getting use out of it, but it will keep that "never opened" title. You can imagine how it felt when we opened a bottle of wine that was from the late 1800s. I can't imagine the fact that those contents sat closed up in a bottle through the sinking of the Titanic, the Armenian Genocide, WWI, the Holocaust, WWII, the Cold War, Vietnam, and countless generations of people and things... and then suddenly it was opened for the first time and I was sipping on liquids from the 1800s. That is a dramatic approach there, but you can see what I mean about keeping the mic in its box. ;) EDIT: Whoops, I see you opened it. Odd that it still has that new smell. Apple currently has a "new computer" smell pumped into their products' boxes. I think they may have started that after 2007.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I've got several of those things.. a soda case full perhaps, still sealed. It was not uncommon at all, to see them go un-used. Though I have even more of them unboxed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.