Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LynnDeanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
My husband formatted and loaded a new 30 GB video iPod on his windows laptop, which then crashed. (laptop not iPod and iPod was not attached when it crashed). I am trying to load his song library on to our Mac here at home. I've done this before sucessfully -- I usually can see Windows formatted iPod just fine on Mac. And, I've used PodUtil to back the songs up on to our Mac here. (They are all ripped from our CDs, but we always want to have both on his Windows and my Mac. But in this case we don't know if he'll be able to rescue from his laptop. And he just ripped a ton of new CDs.) Anyway, here's the problem:
* I see the iPod in the finder and in iTunes
* BUT no songs show up in iTunes or in PodUtil
* However, I can see from gig space used that the files are there
What am I doing wrong? I did not auto-sync the iPod, so I know it was not erased. And, as I said, I can see from space used that files are still on the iPod -- i just can't get them to show up. This is our first video iPod so I'm wondering if something has changed that I am missing. I am running latest version of itunes software on OSX 10.3.9. I am using the cord that came with iPod to jack into USB port. I have tried different ports. iPod is practically brand new and appears to be functioning fine except for invisible songs in iTunes. When I insert iPod it asks me if I want to load updated iPod software and I've been telling it no because I do not want to erase songs.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Perhaps give an alternative to PodUtil a try, maybe something like Senuti. :)

Alternatively, put the iPod back onto a Windows machine, enable hidden files and manually get the songs folder off (I forget it's name, sorry) and put them back on the iPod in a new, unhidden folder so that they'll show up on the iPod when you plug it back into the Mac.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
LynnDeanne said:
My husband formatted and loaded a new 30 GB video iPod on his windows laptop, which then crashed. (laptop not iPod and iPod was not attached when it crashed). I am trying to load his song library on to our Mac here at home. I've done this before sucessfully -- I usually can see Windows formatted iPod just fine on Mac. And, I've used PodUtil to back the songs up on to our Mac here. (They are all ripped from our CDs, but we always want to have both on his Windows and my Mac. But in this case we don't know if he'll be able to rescue from his laptop. And he just ripped a ton of new CDs.) Anyway, here's the problem:
* I see the iPod in the finder and in iTunes
* BUT no songs show up in iTunes or in PodUtil
* However, I can see from gig space used that the files are there
What am I doing wrong? I did not auto-sync the iPod, so I know it was not erased. And, as I said, I can see from space used that files are still on the iPod -- i just can't get them to show up. This is our first video iPod so I'm wondering if something has changed that I am missing. I am running latest version of itunes software on OSX 10.3.9. I am using the cord that came with iPod to jack into USB port. I have tried different ports. iPod is practically brand new and appears to be functioning fine except for invisible songs in iTunes. When I insert iPod it asks me if I want to load updated iPod software and I've been telling it no because I do not want to erase songs.

OK, does iTunes say "1GB used" or are you going off the reported size of the iPod in the Finder, cause the 30GB iPod is not really 30GB, it's about 27.5GB cause of the difference between advertised space and binary space.

Have a look at Senuti, it's free and works.

Have you tried just copying one song across - did that one show up? Restoring the iPod back to factory settings?

LynnDeanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Thanks... I'll try these ideas

No, I can't see the songs in iTunes at all -- but ITunes does show the iPod. It shows a big chunk of space used - I think it was 21 gigs, which would make sense as my husband loaded a bunch of stuff. (Part of why I'm so worried about getting it back off!) I'll try Senuti. I really want to try and fix it on the Mac side if I can because my husband uses Windows at work and really shouldn't be spending his time troubleshooting! Ripping he can do while he works...

THANKS!!

LynnDeanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Help! Senuti can't see songs either

Tried Senuti and same thing -- it also shows 0 songs. But, it recognized iPod.

In iTunes, it shows 22.48 gigs used. Manually manage songs is enabled. Enable disk use is grayed out, but checked. (So I see checkmark but can't change.)

Any ideas?

LynnDeanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Thanks to all who recommended Senuti...

They have the best support I have ever seen!!! Program couldn't fix my very weird problem automatically, so he walked me through the process of rescuing my files step by step. Amazing -- better support than I've ever gotten from the big expensive software producers!!

aavialm

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2006
I have the same problem than you...can you say me exactly what you do?..Thanks
Antonio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.