Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I have a ipod mini, just wanted to know when I plug into itunes it only seems to come up with 955.6 free space and that 2.83gb used and the ipod has nothing on it. If anyone has any info on what's going on here that would be great??!

Cheers
Kat

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kat2727 said:
Hi

I have a ipod mini, just wanted to know when I plug into itunes it only seems to come up with 955.6 free space and that 2.83gb used and the ipod has nothing on it. If anyone has any info on what's going on here that would be great??!

Cheers
Kat

There might be something in it's folders, you can use it as a hard drive too. Open it in the Finder and check to see what's in the folders.

If you have a back up of your music, use the iPod updater (in the Utilities folder, shift-apple-U) to do a full restore. This will bring it back to factory settings and delete everything off it.

kat2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Thanks Chundles
I am not sure what the 'finder' is and i am running i tunes on window not apple based. As far as i can see in i-tunes and on the ipod there are no more songs or anything else on the ipod but i am not really sure what i'm doing...
thankyou

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kat2727 said:
Thanks Chundles
I am not sure what the 'finder' is and i am running i tunes on window not apple based. As far as i can see in i-tunes and on the ipod there are no more songs or anything else on the ipod but i am not really sure what i'm doing...
thankyou

Ah, OK, just assumed you were using a Mac.

Open "My Computer," You should see a list of items, one of which will be either a "USB Storage Device" or and "Apple iPod," it may be listed under the name you gave it when you registered it.

Double click on the icon and it will open an Explorer window showing the internal folders within the iPod - these are usually "Contacts" "Calendars" etc. Check out the contents of all these folders and see if there's something in them that would be taking up space.

If there's nothing there, and you are sure you don't need anything on the iPod, click the Start button and navigate through your programs till you find one called "iPod Software" or something similar. With your iPod plugged in run the program and select "Restore." This will wipe the iPod and put all the factory settings back on - it will be as though you just bought it.

Then have a look and see what it says.

kat2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Thanks chundles has sorted it, plenty of stuff in the music folder, which i have gotten rid of and has cleared up the space back to 3.7 GB.

thanks alot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.