Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fcp.jpg
Apple today updated its professional video editing software Final Cut Pro to version 10.1.3, adding reliability improvements and fixing several bugs. An issue that caused instability when burning a Blu-ray Disc has been fixed, and color corrections pasted between clips are now retained during Share.

The reliability of automatic library backups has been improved, as has the stability of the software when skimming growing files in the browser. A full list of changes can be found below:
What's new

- Fixes reliability issues when burning a Blu-ray Disc or creating a Blu-ray disk image
- Color corrections pasted between clips are retained during Share
- Effects applied to clips in the Browser in prior versions of the app are retained when adding those clips to the timeline
- XML round-trip imports correctly when using gap clips
- Improves reliability of automatic library backups
- Improves stability when skimming growing files in the Browser
Today's minor Final Cut Pro update follows a June update that added a range of new features and improvements. Apple has also updated both Compressor and Motion, fixing a reliability issue caused by burning a Blu-ray Disc or creating a Blu-ray disk image.

Final Cut Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $299. [Direct Link]

Compressor can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Motion can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Compressor and Motion With Reliability Improvements, Bug Fixes

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Hey, back to school sales, updates and new stuff next month ?? Great for the Apple family!! Love it!!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I hope it's fixed the annoying bug where activating Video Animation on a clip will intermittently crash the program. I guess I'll find out soon enough....

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Reminded of a time when this thread would have at least seen double-digit replies by now.

Maybe if the headline read: FCP Update Optimized for iOS8...

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
- Color corrections pasted between clips are retained during Share

I hope that means they fixed the same thing happening when you copy and paste crop setting between clips too.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
i wonder if it fixes the bug that causes my mbp to kernel panic with nvrm, read error, gpu panic message.....

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Reminded of a time when this thread would have at least seen double-digit replies by now.

Maybe if the headline read: FCP Update Optimized for iOS8...

Probably because most of the people are using serious editing softwares by now.

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Learn what you're talking about. The program is being used on everything from news to features.

The markets you listed have pretty low FCPX usage. It is used for a small amount of news and it was used on one major Fox feature film but they had a LOT of problems. I know of no other major films that are using it or planning to.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Learn what you're talking about. The program is being used on everything from news to features.

I live in Miami, my production house is switching from FC7 to Premiere. The TV station I used to work to is switching to Premiere and Avid.

Venevision International with 600 employees is switching to Avid, well, they already did and a mayor factor is like Avid opperators are real editors compared with Final Cut Editors that called themselves "editors" when the reality is that most do not have certification and learned to edit in their house. The Program Director is a friend and told me that, it was a hassle when recruiting bunch of wannabees.

Telemundo and Univision, Premiere and Avid last year.

I just know 1 person using FCPX and is a musician and I have seen one ad in Craigslist asking for FCPX for infomercials.

My recommendation to people is to learn that software as an option but the interns I have been having in my company are learning in Avid at their schools.

I am just giving you facts.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Is Compressor now truly 64 bit with GPU access?

Or it is still crap?

Seriously I have a race with a mate who keeps updating the newer version and my v3.5 beats it everytime.

geomiga

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I live in Miami, my production house is switching from FC7 to Premiere. The TV station I used to work to is switching to Premiere and Avid.

Venevision International with 600 employees is switching to Avid, well, they already did and a mayor factor is like Avid opperators are real editors compared with Final Cut Editors that called themselves "editors" when the reality is that most do not have certification and learned to edit in their house. The Program Director is a friend and told me that, it was a hassle when recruiting bunch of wannabees.

Telemundo and Univision, Premiere and Avid last year.

I just know 1 person using FCPX and is a musician and I have seen one ad in Craigslist asking for FCPX for infomercials.

My recommendation to people is to learn that software as an option but the interns I have been having in my company are learning in Avid at their schools.

I am just giving you facts.

I am guessing you have not personally used Avid before.

I graduated film school. Learned Avid in school, made a business case to bring in Premiere, learned it.

Upon graduation, with my paying jobs I've chosen to use FCPX.

Facts. :)

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
I am guessing you have not personally used Avid before.

I graduated film school. Learned Avid in school, made a business case to bring in Premiere, learned it.

Upon graduation, with my paying jobs I've chosen to use FCPX.

I do corporate video and local television in Connecticut. I've used all three programs and the one I still choose to use is FCP X, (even though I still have FCP7). People tend to forget or may not know that Avid is running precariously close to the edge of insolvency, they were delisted from NASDAQ. They've already discontinued their Newscutter editing software, just a matter of time until MediaComposer is discontinued too. I know I wouldn't want my company to depend on software from a company that may not be around in a couple of years. As for Adobe, they lost me as a customer when they went subscription.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Why care why people shooting feature films are using unless you are shooting a feature film? 99.99% of us do other kinds of work and need different tools.

Actually from a money point of view I can see why Apple wrote off the high-end users. There are just not enough of them. Even if they shot 100 big-budget feature films per year and 50% of the films bought two dozen copies each of FCPX that would generate only about $350K income for Apple. That is not enough to support even a very small development staff. (It might pay for two developers, tops.)

Compare that to the tens of thousands of weddings, training films, music videos for no-name bands, dogs riding skateboards on Discovery Channel. If don't matter to Apple that these are all low-budget because everyone pays the same $277 to Apple. The unit sales numbers are bigger with the low-budget films than with the big-budget films.

Apple has done this across the board. These is more money at the low end. For example far more people use iPads and computers for media viewing/entertainment than for doing real work. So that is what Apple goes after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.