PDA

View Full Version : Intel coprocessor cards

th3rmite
Jan 15, 2003, 01:30 PM
Is there anyone out there that still makes the coprocessor cards with an intel/amd chip on them? I just got a mac and I haven't used one in a couple of years. Is there maybe a way to put a Mac proc in a pc? I want one machine that can run both mac and windows without much emulation, thanks...

Jeff

WannabeSQ
Jan 15, 2003, 03:26 PM
I doubt if OSX still supports those things, but there are really small form factor PCs, one fits into a 5.25" drive bay, and is a full featured PC. You could probably get an old SCSI CD case gut it out and put this in, and all you need is a keyboard mouse and video switch. Or, its not really emulation, but you can remotely control a PC with a Mac with VNC, or windows' own remote desktop connection. Its faster than emulation, but slower than directly using it.

Also, you could simply get a shuttle XPC little computer to do anything from basic PC work, to a Home Theater box, or a Gaming box. New ones come with 1 AGP and 1 PCI slot.

Chaszmyr
Jan 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
I think Orange Micro was the last company to make one, and they stopped a long while ago.

Kethoticus
Jan 15, 2003, 03:43 PM
I think your best bet is to buy a PC.

a) The cost of the cards that Orange Micro used to manufacture were usually around a grand; but

b) As far as I know, no one's making them anymore. I looked around myself before I decided to get a PC--which I spent a grand on. It shares the monitor my Mac uses.

PCs are cheap, and everyone's visciously competing with one another, so you should be able to get a respectable box for a respectable price. (Unless of course deskspace is the issue, in which case it sounds like VPC would be your only legitimate choice.)