Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
A friend and I are doing the senior slideshow for school, and while a number of the submitted images are digital, a lot are film prints. I need a relativly inexpensive adf scanner that can handle scanning numerous prints without any user intervention. I don't care if theyve been discontinued as long as I can find one on ebay, and mac compatibility would be a plus.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am not aware of any ADF scanners for multiple sized prints. The ADF scanners that I am aware of are for the same document size (or at least for the same width).

Also in scanning of photos, it is often necessary to do correction on each image for best results. At least in the "affordable" range. I am sure that there are units that cost $10k's US, even used, that would do the job.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Chip NoVaMac said:
I am not aware of any ADF scanners for multiple sized prints. The ADF scanners that I am aware of are for the same document size (or at least for the same width).

Also in scanning of photos, it is often necessary to do correction on each image for best results. At least in the "affordable" range. I am sure that there are units that cost $10k's US, even used, that would do the job.
To clarify...I dont mean different sizes at the same time...scan one size and then move to the other. I would also be editing the pictures once theyre on the computer, its just much faster to have them all scanned and then start editing them

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
andypress said:
To clarify...I dont mean different sizes at the same time...scan one size and then move to the other. I would also be editing the pictures once theyre on the computer, its just much faster to have them all scanned and then start editing them

Depending on your needs HP made some "affordable" ones years ago. Forget their names. The issue there is, will it support your current OS?

Also many of these had better capabilities at the scanning level, as opposed to doing it afterwards.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
You are probably thinking of the HP OfficeJets, some of which have automatic document feeders, or the 5560 scanner from HP or it's like. I would suggest skipping the HP as their software is aweful, they don't keep the drivers up to date, they don't continue updating the software but rather abandon it quickly leaving the user in the lurch, the hardware is cheap and breaks easily and even when it does work the scanner really doesn't work very well. I bought the HP Officejet 7130aio for the automatic scanning with document feeder. It jams a lot and even skips pages although the hardware did scan the page. Often pages are truncated. It typically takes three to four passes of all the documents through the scanner before I get a good scan. Very frustrating. I'm looking to replace mine with something better.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.