Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Wall Street Journal has a very timely article
about Apple's design team.

Apple's reliance on hit computers, analysts say, has
locked Messrs. Rubinstein and Ive into a cycle where
they constantly need to outdo themselves with
innovative machines.

Sound familiar? Two other promising quotes from the
article:

Now, even as other PC makers scale back, Apple
continues to invest in hardware and design. According
to brokerage firm Gerard Klauer Mattison & Co., Apple's
research and development expenditures are expected
to total 7.1% of its annual revenue in 2001, up from
4.8% in 2000

And... the hint of new products...

Mr. Rubinstein says the hardware and design team
currently have about a dozen projects going on. But he
is keeping mum. "It helps give the product a bigger
impact when it actually comes out," he says.

igordi

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2001
exactly

that's excatly why I don't want to buy today's new iMac. I really an upgrade but I'd be so pissed when something really sweet comes out in October.

JonesBonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2001
Calgary, Canada
Lots on their plate

To be honest, I'm disappointed with Wednesday's Stevenote address. I think we all were looking for something more – especially since we all know there's a lot on the go at Apple right now.

My guess is they've over extended themselves working on so many major product updates. The software effort is nothing short of staggering.

For all intents and purposes, OS X is still in beta – and there's a ton of work to do there. It looks like 9.2 is done, so once they've developed Starlight, at least OS 9 will be pretty much set. Then there's the effort to carbonize FCP and DVD Studio Pro. Yikes...and that's just software.

We all know the hardware issues. LCD iMac, new desktop enclosure, TiPB updates, subnotebook/tablet(?), PDA(?) the list goes on and on.

Steve was clearly exasperated on Wednesday. I suspect that getting around this corner is taking far more effort than they expected. They're R&D team is probably working some serious hours on al of this stuff (however, that's what they're paid to do – we shouldn't be called on to feel sorry for them.) Once they do, though, Apple's product line will be better and more cohesive than we've ever seen it.

Cheers,

c

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
mac users always have to wait

mac users always have to wait but that is not such a bad thing since some pc makers put out too much too fast and often come up with a lemon (ie - Gateway and e-machines iMac look alikes, Compaq's 1400 series laptops, or numerous IBM laptops and desktops)

apple only missed the market with the Cube, that's one failure since steve jobs took over in 1997...not a bad track record in this industry...remember 4 years is a lifetime in this industry for those us us in it

maybe this fall will bring out a new iMac, but i would rather wait longer if needed for apple to get it right if they want to make an LCD iMac...remember it is the iMac which saved
apple and it very well may be the new LCD iMac which will save apple's dismal stock value again...so let's be patient and hope apple could dazzle the computer world again like they did with the iMac back in 1998

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.