PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft advertising IE7 on cinema displays ?!

tkermit
Jan 31, 2006, 01:00 PM
Internet Explorer 7 d o e s look best on a Cinema Display :-D .

Maybe Microsoft is cleverly hinting at the possibility of Windows running on Intel-Macs ?! Who knows...

v e r y clever changing the form factor and color like that... maybe leaving the Apple logo on there would have been nice....anyway: look at Microsoft advertising Internet Explorer 7 beta 2

:)

Do you have pictures of other companies arguably using Apple products in their ads ?

kwajo.com
Jan 31, 2006, 01:06 PM
hate to break it to you but that isn't a Cinema Display. It may have a similar pedestal, but it's different in too many ways to be called an Apple product

tkermit
Jan 31, 2006, 01:36 PM
hate to break it to you but that isn't a Cinema Display. It may have a similar pedestal, but it's different in too many ways to be called an Apple product

alright, so maybe it isn't, but it just looks awfully similar...
granted, that may be, because the Cinema Display design itself is so reduced to the simplest form possible, that it is quite easy to create an at least similar looking form very quickly...

They may or may not have used a picture of a Cinema Display as the starting point to create the picture from the advertisement...anyway, look at this attached pic, I just quickly photoshopped the cinema display, so you can see where I'm coming from

jared_kipe
Jan 31, 2006, 01:51 PM
Oh come on, its clearly an apple display, they just made it black.

Josh
Jan 31, 2006, 01:57 PM

Which ways would those be?

Looks like an ACD to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS's webdesigners were Mac users, in which case a quick photo of their monitor would be taken and used for the site.

They wouldn't want it to be blatently identical to an ACD (this thread would have still existed either way lol), but a minor change would be in order.

ITASOR
Jan 31, 2006, 02:03 PM
Almost as bad as when MS uses the TiBooks in ads.

Cooknn
Jan 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
It's definitely a Cinema Display. The hacked out some width, brushed out the Apple and painted it black. Sacrilege I tell ya :rolleyes:

freeny
Jan 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
It's definitely a Cinema Display. The hacked out some width, brushed out the Apple and painted it black. Sacrilege I tell ya :rolleyes:
I agree. Although I'm pretty sure Microsoft didnt do it and may have been unaware of it. The advertising agency probably thought it looked best and used the photoshopped version. It is a very nice and clean design you've got to admit.

2nyRiggz
Jan 31, 2006, 02:26 PM
yea it looks the same but could be a knock off.

Bless

freeny
Jan 31, 2006, 02:31 PM
alright, so maybe it isn't, but it just looks awfully similar...
granted, that may be, because the Cinema Display design itself is so reduced to the simplest form possible, that it is quite easy to create an at least similar looking form very quickly...

They may or may not have used a picture of a Cinema Display as the starting point to create the picture from the advertisement...anyway, look at this attached pic, I just quickly photoshopped the cinema display, so you can see where I'm coming from
Hey tkermit, I visited Dusseldorf several years ago while on a job in Oberhaussen. I painted a mural outside the Planet Hollywood at Centro Oberhaussen. Is it still there? Oberhaussen was a bit depressing but Dusseldorf had some charm.

Cooknn
Jan 31, 2006, 02:32 PM
I agree. Although I'm pretty sure Microsoft didnt do it and may have been unaware of it. The advertising agency probably thought it looked best and used the photoshopped version. It is a very nice and clean design you've got to admit.I'll admit that I like the silver 23" ACD on my desk! It looks a heck of a lot better running OS X too :D

OT: freeny what time does your commercial air during the Super Bowl?

freeny
Jan 31, 2006, 02:36 PM
I'll admit that I like the silver 23" ACD on my desk! It looks a heck of a lot better running OS X too :D

OT: freeny what time does your commercial air during the Super Bowl?
Not sure, but it will be a commercial advertising the release of ESPN's new mobile phone. At the very end there will be a bumper of the phone on an all black screen. I did the motion graphics that will be playing on the phone. Approximately 6 seconds of fame:D

Im gonna talk with someone who will know what time cause im curious myself.

floyde
Jan 31, 2006, 02:39 PM
Before, if you wanted to browse several websites, you needed to open several windows.
Yeah, back in 1994...

kwajo.com
Jan 31, 2006, 02:41 PM
all I meant was that while it may have been drawn (or photoshopped) with inspiration from the Cinema Displays, that is not the same as previous ads where it is clearly a person sitting using a TiBook running Windows XP or something to that effect. LCD monitors all look fairly similar and if you are bothering to make a black, non-widescreed version of the cinema display and photograph it from straight ahead, it can't really be considered using an Apple product in an ad.

to be fair though, you did nab a nice find by identifying the inspiration for that ad, good eye!

Cooknn
Jan 31, 2006, 02:42 PM
Approximately 6 seconds of fame:DWell, at $2.4M for :30 seconds, that puts the value of your :06 at $480K :eek:

tkermit
Jan 31, 2006, 02:47 PM
Hey tkermit, I visited Dusseldorf several years ago while on a job in Oberhaussen. I painted a mural outside the Planet Hollywood at Centro Oberhaussen. Is it still there? Oberhaussen was a bit depressing but Dusseldorf had some charm.

Wow, that's amazing - sounds very fun, too - I'm going to have to take a look at that next time I'm there (which is not very often). I haven't actually been there for a long time and only once before - I've never been to the Centro or Planet Hollywood, though.

I think cities like Oberhausen are changing at a rapid pace right now, lots of restructuring going on, the whole region is still in the process of changing from formerly being heavily coal-centered to relying on new-media and new technologies. Actually, Oberhausen as a whole is supposed to become a shopping-place mainly... But Duesseldorf is becoming t h e place to be, for advertising and media...and of course fashion - it's actually nicely developing.

themagicdough
Jan 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
woops, wrong thread, sorry.

-Dough

freeny
Jan 31, 2006, 03:03 PM
I did a quick picture search of the mural I painted. the bottom picture is small but you can see the mural painted on the cylendrical structure all the way to the left.

Judging by the more recent top picture you can see that the mural as well as Planet Hollywood are no longer there.:rolleyes:

tkermit
Jan 31, 2006, 03:16 PM
I did a quick picture search of the mural I painted. the bottom picture is small but you can see the mural painted on the cylendrical structure all the way to the left.

Judging by the top picture you can see that the mural as well as Planet Hollywood are no longer there.:rolleyes:

that's quite a lot bigger than I expected, must have looked great - so what is it exactly that you do ? I mean, apparently you also do some sort of animation work ?!

edit: nevermind, I just looked at your profile (Occupation:
Motion Graphics/Animation/Graphics) - so I guess you're just versatile :)

Chundles
Jan 31, 2006, 03:28 PM
Is it just me or does putting the Back/Forward buttons and the address bar ABOVE the IE menu bar look utterly silly?

freeny
Jan 31, 2006, 03:44 PM
that's quite a lot bigger than I expected, must have looked great - so what is it exactly that you do ? I mean, apparently you also do some sort of animation work ?!

edit: nevermind, I just looked at your profile (Occupation:
Motion Graphics/Animation/Graphics) - so I guess you're just versatile :)
I worked for a design company that specialized in murals and coorporate interiors durring the 90s. I was pretty much assigned to Planet Hollywood. Worked on about 50 of them and traveled around the globe either supervising murals and installations or actually doing them myself or with a team. I have since moved on to computer aided design, motion graphics etc. Got REALLY tired of all the traveling if you can believe that.

Not trying to float my own boat but im attaching a picture of my favorite mural I painted for PH. its located in Myrtle Beach SC. took me about 2 weeks to complete. I painted 4 or 5 similar globes some even bigger but this one was my fave. As you can see I got a little overspray on the left side. oops.

Sorry for moving off the subject:o Ill stop now

Cooknn
Jan 31, 2006, 03:46 PM
Is it just me or does putting the Back/Forward buttons and the address bar ABOVE the IE menu bar look utterly silly?It's not just you. Just doesn't look right like that...

Mike Teezie
Jan 31, 2006, 04:49 PM
It looks ridiculous!

I don't know why it looks so bad, but it just.....does.

floyde
Jan 31, 2006, 04:58 PM
It looks ridiculous!

I don't know why it looks so bad, but it just.....does.
Well the beta is out and it looks even worse on XP:eek: Creating new tabs is easy though. I'll post my full impressions later, for now a screenshot:

Chundles
Jan 31, 2006, 05:06 PM
Christ that's ugly.

I mean really, really ugly. Talk about cluttered and confusing, GROSS!!

ReanimationLP
Jan 31, 2006, 05:12 PM
Internet Explorer 7 sucks. On XP.

On vista, its rather nice.

Hell, the Beta 2 wont even install on my machine. Supposedly my copy of XP that I bought from M$ isnt legit. wtf? -.-

floyde
Jan 31, 2006, 05:25 PM
Well either way I'm stuck with it. You'd think Microsoft would be kind enough to provide an uninstaller... and I still needed to test some sites on IE6. Oh well, I guess I had it coming:(

Xephian
Jan 31, 2006, 06:09 PM
I like IE7's way of creating tabs.

Dagless
Jan 31, 2006, 06:11 PM
silly silly MS! or the advert guys who made it *read the 13 year old badgering away on his schoolwork*

thats nothing, or maybe it is... but until recently the old Tiny laptop adverts in computer magazines here in the UK were selling laptops with screenshots of OS9 overlayed! It just didn't make any sense! I felt like buying a laptop and taking it back and just causing such a huge commotion that I was given a free laptop :cool:

greatdevourer
Jan 31, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure if I can find the link, but there was one thing on the M$ site advertising Server 2k3, yet all the computers on the page were iBooks :confused:

ITASOR
Jan 31, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hell, the Beta 2 wont even install on my machine. Supposedly my copy of XP that I bought from M$ isnt legit. wtf? -.-

Turning on the DELL right now to install it. I'll let you know if it works, didn't realize it was public beta now, last time I looked it was MSDN only.

EDIT: Let me just tell ask you all something...what the heck browser requires a complete restart of your computer? Good going MS! Didn't have to restart when I installed any browser on my Mac!

tkermit
Jan 31, 2006, 07:30 PM
Well either way I'm stuck with it. You'd think Microsoft would be kind enough to provide an uninstaller... and I still needed to test some sites on IE6. Oh well, I guess I had it coming:(

floyde, you can uninstall it by going to uninstall/ remove software in the control panel and check "show all updates"(or something like that)... find it in the list and delete. then reboot...

edit: from the "release notes":

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
# Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
# Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
# Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
# Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."

If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.

jaysmith
Jan 31, 2006, 07:36 PM
good god i forgot how hard it was to uninstall on a pc. terrible. good to see ie is jumping on this "new" tabbed browsing. another microsoft innovation! haha.

floyde
Jan 31, 2006, 08:20 PM
floyde, you can uninstall it by going to uninstall/ remove software in the control panel and check "show all updates"(or something like that)... find it in the list and delete. then reboot...

lol, I forgot to check the "show updates" option. :o I'll give it another try once I'm done testing with IE6.

yg17
Jan 31, 2006, 08:28 PM
Tabbed browsing, how revolutionary! I'm so glad Microsoft came up with that idea, they sure are pioneers in the web browser game!

Platform
Jan 31, 2006, 11:53 PM
IE 6 looks better than that :eek:

dotdotdot
Feb 1, 2006, 12:19 AM

Its following the Vista user interface but its on XP...

EricNau
Feb 1, 2006, 12:40 AM
Christ that's ugly.

That's exactly the look Microsoft was going for... after all, that's what Windows users like. ;)

prostuff1
Feb 1, 2006, 01:09 AM
Well the beta is out and it looks even worse on XP:eek: Creating new tabs is easy though. I'll post my full impressions later, for now a screenshot:

My eyes, my eyes...

That is really ugly. not to mention it took them this long to come out with a update to a IE. I mean come on... not that anyone should use IE but the way it is going you have to upgrade your operating system to get tabbed browsing in IE...thats just dumb. They should have done something about this WAY earlier.

Unless IE 7 will be available to others on XP and 2000 or other operating systems??

Jaffa Cake
Feb 1, 2006, 02:58 AM
You can run the Apple displays on a PC, as long as you have a suitable video card so even if it were an unaltered Cinema Display on the ad I wouldn't go losing too much sleep over it.

Compile 'em all
Feb 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
New Vista Add :D

ifjake
Feb 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
New Vista Add :D
wow that is one of the funnier things i have seen in a while.

i've seen a few adds that use what looks like a Powerbook with the Apple logo photoshopped out.

Mike Teezie
Feb 1, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well the beta is out and it looks even worse on XP Creating new tabs is easy though. I'll post my full impressions later, for now a screenshot:

Ahhhh! My eyes!

wow that is one of the funnier things i have seen in a while.

i've seen a few adds that use what looks like a Powerbook with the Apple logo photoshopped out.

Or like on TV shows when they put a nasty sticker over the Apple logo.

Makes me shudder every time.

iBlue
Feb 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

heh, a baboon's ass looks better than that!

Tabbed browsing, how revolutionary! I'm so glad Microsoft came up with that idea, they sure are pioneers in the web browser game!

impressive work eh?

and to the original topic about the cinema display conterfeit/mock-up thing... yet again i am unsurprised and repulsed by microsoft's ways. what a bunch of leaches!

zap2
Feb 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
i should install XP on iMac G5 on VPC but i don't want to waste my time

i have something to do on the weekend now!

Platform
Feb 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
Its following the Vista user interface but its on XP...

I know...but did they learn nothing from FF, Opera, Safari...or are they just #$%^&*:confused:

FrankieTDouglas
Feb 3, 2006, 05:50 AM
My eyes, my eyes...

That is really ugly. not to mention it took them this long to come out with a update to a IE. I mean come on... not that anyone should use IE but the way it is going you have to upgrade your operating system to get tabbed browsing in IE...thats just dumb. They should have done something about this WAY earlier.

Unless IE 7 will be available to others on XP and 2000 or other operating systems??

Well, aren't RSS capabilities only available on Safari 2.0? And don't you have to buy Tiger in order to get Safari 2.0?

iHateWindows
Feb 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
Christ that's ugly.

Very, very well said.

whocares
Feb 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
Oooooooooo! Tabbed browsing! Isn't IE7 really ahead of other browsers! :rolleyes: :p :p

Disclaimer: You need to look at the add, not the screen to fully understand this post.

mad jew
Feb 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
I got a Dell Australia brochure in the newspaper last week and it had a guy on an iBook. It had a single trackpad button, nipples in the top corners of the display, a long silver bar on the front and the battery was even slightly misaligned. :cool:

EricNau
Feb 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
I got a Dell Australia brochure in the newspaper last week and it had a guy on an iBook. It had a single trackpad button, nipples in the top corners of the display, a long silver bar on the front and the battery was even slightly misaligned. :cool:
Got pictures?

mad jew
Feb 4, 2006, 08:53 PM
I threw it out by accident but I'll probably get one this week too. They usually come out weekly.

I've seen the ol' threads about people mistaking Dells for Mac laptops because of the wallpaper but this really was an iBook, it looked just like mine.

Will Cheyney
Feb 7, 2006, 05:16 AM
That is one ugly and messy looking interface... I sure hope Microsoft tidy things up.