Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

six501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
my friend has a broken ibook G3 he's agreed to sell me for $175, he told me it needed a new logic card, i did some research and figured he must have meant logic board, because i've read alot about those being replaced in G3's.

im wondering what you guys would suggest, i've seen some prices around the net advertiseing about $300 for repairing/replaceing a logic board. well, i just called the local apple store and i asked the girl working how much she would think it would cost if they had to send it out to the depo to get fixed, and she said between $700-$1000. i need to figure this out before i buy this ibook, i don't feel like wasteing $175.

any help would be appreciated, and if it matters, im looking for somewhat local repair shops (Albany, NY). or if you could even point me in the direction of an ibook around $600-$700. (i've been a PC user my whole life and im in need for a change).

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
I'd call Apple, tell 'em the Serial #, and see if you're eligible for the Logic Board Recall.

six501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
TsuaSai said:
I'd call Apple, tell 'em the Serial #, and see if you're eligible for the Logic Board Recall.

do you know if i'll have to sit through hours of waiting?

six501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
i just called my friend and the only serial numbers he said were

UV2201JPLQ0

and

A1005

six501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
but when he brought it to a mac store in california they said since it was purchased over 3 years ago they can't replace it for free, and they'd want like $300. i checked apple.com and it says it was purchased may 19th 2002

"
How long is the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed."

just taken from the apple support website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.