Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
Ive searched the forums but found not very recent info:

what is the very best graphics card i can get for my MDD Dual 1.4 I believe it is AGP? if the slot iti s in is AGP, then what are theother 3 slots...im not sure how these slots work so also some basic info would be nice. I have a Nvidia GeForce 4Ti 4600 128mb in it right now. but i would like coreimage support, and support for Aperture!

thanks!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Your GeForce4ti is a good card. In terms of an upgrade you have a number of options.

The Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB from OWC is an OEM Powermac G5 card that has been modded to work in G4s. It is faster than your current card even though it has 1/2 the VRAM. It is 100% Core Image compatible. It has 1 DVI port and a non-powered ADC port (it won't work unless you use a DVI or VGA adaptor). I had one and I liked it. It's also pretty cheap.

You can also get the retail ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB or Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB. They are both a bit pricey - but the 9600 will support a 30" display and ther 9800 is significantly faster for 3D applications.

Your other option would be to flash a PC video card. I just finished flashing a GeForce6800GT to my Powermac G4. This is a very powerful card that supports Core Image (of course) is excellent for ALL Mac games available, and has dual DVI. Other cards popular for flashing like the Radeon 95/97/9800 or Geforce 5200/5500 would all have great performance. Click on the vidoe card in my sig to read more about flashing. It isn't for the lazy but it does give you more options.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm curious, just HOW do you flash a PC card to be a Mac one? I don't mind spending some spare cash on a 5200 to get it to work on my Power Mac G4.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
so heres what i do

im a photographer-

so im constantly in CS2, Photomechanic, And on my Powerbook, Aperture.

I also have One game (CoD) that i dabble in.

I also watch tons of DVD's on my 20" Aluminum ACD.

I also am looking into a second LCD (dvi)

so...whats my best option.

also what are some prices...what is my current card worth?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Eidorian said:
I'm curious, just HOW do you flash a PC card to be a Mac one? I don't mind spending some spare cash on a 5200 to get it to work on my Power Mac G4.

Read this. It's really up to you how far you want to take it - there are easy flashes, and there are tricky ones. Click on the 6800GT in my sig to read about my flashing experience.

If you follow the link in my previous post to OWC's website you'll see that the Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB is now only $80 - this is a very good deal on a high-performance card with dual DVI display capability, and the 9600 is a better card than the 5200 overall. Flashing makes more sense when you go for the higher end cards like the Radeon 9800 or X800, and Geforce 5500 or 6800. You save more money that way, and get a card (like my 6800) that was never offered for the G4 officially.

poolin1243 said:
so heres what i do

<snip>

also what are some prices...what is my current card worth?

Well, for your needs I would recommend at least the Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB from Other World Computing (OWC). It has a DVI port and an ADC port with no power - this means that an ADC display will NOT work, but you can put an ADC->DVI or VGA adaptor on the ADC port to run a second display.

CoD will run very well on the 9600 - but it won't get drastically better perfomance than your GeForce4ti. The Radeon 9800 Pro will be a jump up in performance, but it is $260+shipping. It has one DVI port and one VGA port, which isn't the best if you want to run dual DVI displays, since one will be running on a VGA analog signal.

If you decide to flash a card, your options are wide open. The following flashed PC cards have good success rate in the G4: Radeon 9500, 9700, 9800. GeForce 5200, 5500, 6600GT, 6800. Some people have also successfully flashed the Radeon X800XT. However, this requires lots of reading and there is a risk you could screw something up. I recommend to read and consider Mine worked pretty well, but "your mileage may vary". Good luck.

As for the value of your GeForce4ti...The resellers, who always charge high prices, are asking about $200 for one. The lack of Core Image support for the 4ti has driven used prices down a bit (a year ago the resellers wanted more like $300 for them).On ebay they can be had for less, but I dislike ebay since some unscrupulpous people flash cards to the Mac and then sell them on ebay without telling you that they are flashed PC cards, as opposed to real Apple OEM hardware.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
wow..
lot of info.

well i looked at your site...removing transitors, sioldering, etc....thats way to complicated for my taste. So if my card is worth say 200 bucks...then i could get a 9800 from somebody around the same price maybe?

it irks me that the 9600 has 64mb of ram, half of what ive got now...and will that run on aperture...thas important.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
poolin1243 said:
wow..
lot of info.

well i looked at your site...removing transitors, sioldering, etc....thats way to complicated for my taste. So if my card is worth say 200 bucks...then i could get a 9800 from somebody around the same price maybe?

it irks me that the 9600 has 64mb of ram, half of what ive got now...and will that run on aperture...thas important.

Remember that your GeForce4ti has slower RAM than the OWC 9600 Pro - and in fact even with 1/2 the RAM the 9600 will outrun the 4ti. You can always get the retail 9600 Pro Mac/PC Edition, which has 256MB RAM and dual DVI - if you check the OWC link you'll see it's around $180.

The 9800 is a good card, even if it is overpriced IMHO.

As far as flashing goes....I'm not sure what part you were looking at but only a few cards requires soldering. The Radeon 9800 Pro does not. Nor does the GeForce 6800GS/GT/Ultra. You just have to tape the correct pins and flash in a PC (some cards can even be flashed in the Mac). But it certainly isn't a project for the lazy, and there is a risk you will screw up.

If you are worried most about Aperture, than be prepared to shell out: Aperture wants a beefy video card. You're probably best off with a Radeon 9800 Pro or better, so other than a flashed card the 9800 Pro is your only real option.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Lord Blackadder said:
If you follow the link in my previous post to OWC's website you'll see that the Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB is now only $80 - this is a very good deal on a high-performance card with dual DVI display capability, and the 9600 is a better card than the 5200 overall. Flashing makes more sense when you go for the higher end cards like the Radeon 9800 or X800, and Geforce 5500 or 6800. You save more money that way, and get a card (like my 6800) that was never offered for the G4 officially.

Well, for your needs I would recommend at least the Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB from Other World Computing (OWC). It has a DVI port and an ADC port with no power - this means that an ADC display will NOT work, but you can put an ADC->DVI or VGA adaptor on the ADC port to run a second .
Gah, I should have remembered OWC. I forgot about their flashed cards. If I ever get my own G4 I'll look there.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
poolin1243 said:
hmm ok...that 9600 sounds pretty good. is there a 128 version...also...where can i find one for cheap...also...do you think anybody would want mine on the for sale board...or a trade out.?

No 128MB version of the 9600, you either get the $80 64MB card or the $180 256MB with dual DVI.

Eidorian said:
Gah, I should have remembered OWC. I forgot about their flashed cards. If I ever get my own G4 I'll look there.

Actually the 64MB 9600 isn't flashed - it is an original Apple OEM card pulled from a G5 - they just scraped off pins 3&11 so the card will work in the AGP 4X slots that G4 Macs have.

BTW poolin1243 - I don't think OWC ships overseas (not sure if you are in North America).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Lord Blackadder said:
Actually the 64MB 9600 isn't flashed - it is an original Apple OEM card pulled from a G5 - they just scraped off pins 3&11 so the card will work in the AGP 4X slots that G4 Macs have.

BTW poolin1243 - I don't think OWC ships overseas (not sure if you are in North America).
I've heard of 5200's like that too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.