Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
So quick question, is it possible to play my Playstation 2 through my iMac? Either using an emulator, or by preference, through a hardware adaptor. Any advice gratefully taken.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
This has been asked quite a number of times. You cannot play PS2 games on an iMac. You can connect a PS2 to an iMac to use the screen via some sort of digitiser hardware (EyeTv for example) but this always introduces a delay that tends to make it unplayable.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah figured I might hear that. oh well :) It surprises me somewhat that they didn't design the G5/iNtel (I like that format for the intel ones - very Apple :p) iMac's capable of acting as an external display for their other devices. My iBook G4 would've loved it ;)

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
Will Cheyney said:
Yes you can play your PlayStation, XBox, Gamecube or other console on your iMac with no delay or playback issues.

You need an EyeTV EZ
http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvez
I have the EyeTV EZ and it works variably with the XBox and the GameCube. But from what I understand it doesn't work with the next generation of consoles like the XBOX 360. Does anybody know a great solution for playing the 360 on a iMac G5? And how would the quality be?
Any help would be appreciated. :)

DNC70

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkshire, UK
IEatApples said:
But from what I understand it doesn't work with the next generation of consoles like the XBOX 360.
It has a composite input so should work with the 360 (and other next-gen consoles) but only via composite - e.g. standard def not hi-def. The cable that comes with a 360 includes composite out and carries a standard def image so unless the 360 outputs something weird it should work. If you want High Def that's another matter!

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
DNC70 said:
It has a composite input so should work with the 360 (and other next-gen consoles) but only via composite - e.g. standard def not hi-def. The cable that comes with a 360 includes composite out and carries a standard def image so unless the 360 outputs something weird it should work. If you want High Def that's another matter!
My personal experience is that the EyeTV EZ doesn't work equally well with all the games. Some comes out black and white, while others doesn't show at all. My guess would be that the next gen. of consoles would have higher requirements, and even if the connection works it doesn't mean the games will, right :confused:
Info from Elgato:
Can I connect my PlayStation/GameCube/XBox to EyeTV EZ?

You can. EyeTV EZ has a delay of only few milliseconds, allowing for excellent live gameplay. Other EyeTV devices have encoding hardware that causes a larger delay, rendering gameplay difficult to impossible.

Next generation systems might use component or other higher end connections. EyeTV EZ can only use composite and S-Video, and cannot receive HDTV.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Lacreo said:
There aren't any PS2 emulators for the Mac. And it's probable against the rules to ask.
So don't ever speak of this again. :cool:

I don't think it's against the rules to talk about hardware emulators. I believe the only thing against the rules regarding emulators is talking about pirated games and such, but if you are just talking about using a reverse engineered software emulator to play games you already own then it's fine. I don't think the moderators have any objection at all to discussing emulators or their use. Just don't ask about how to get copied games to run or where to download roms or any junk like that.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
motulist said:
I don't think it's against the rules to talk about hardware emulators. I believe the only thing against the rules regarding emulators is talking about pirated games and such, but if you are just talking about using a reverse engineered software emulator to play games you already own then it's fine. I don't think the moderators have any objection at all to discussing emulators or their use. Just don't ask about how to get copied games to run or where to download roms or any junk like that.
What else would you use a PS2 emulator for except to play pirated games.
Sure, you may have the original games; but you can't trust everybody.
Nothing personal. :cool:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Asides from the fact that nobody here asked how to get pirated games...

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
LastLine said:
Asides from the fact that nobody here asked how to get pirated games...
Well duh! It would get deleted in a second.
Say there was a Mac PS2 emulator, and someone gave you the link to download it. What would you do after that?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Lacreo said:
Well duh! It would get deleted in a second.
Say there was a Mac PS2 emulator, and someone gave you the link to download it. What would you do after that?

Rip my games to my hard drive and play them through the emulator because there would be hardly any load time since it doesn't have to read off the disc.

Why the hell is everyone here so uptight about piracy and assume that just because someone asks for something that *might* be used for illegal purposes, that they are using it for illegal purposes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to some pirated music on my iPod.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
yg17 said:
Why the hell is everyone here so uptight about piracy and assume that just because someone asks for something that *might* be used for illegal purposes, that they are using it for illegal purposes.
I could care less if you pirated some software. I just thought asking about it was frowned on.
Please, carry on.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Lacreo said:
I could care less if you pirated some software. I just thought asking about it was frowned on.
Please, carry on.

There was no mention of piracy until you bought it up.

Emulators aren't illegal. If they were, it would be like saying iPods should be illegal because they could be used to play pirated music.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
yg17 said:
There was no mention of piracy until you bought it up.
Game emulators and piracy are like synonyms.

yg17 said:
Emulators aren't illegal. If they were, it would be like saying iPods should be illegal because they could be used to play pirated music.
Yeah. But I don't think many people who are looking for emulators are going to play legal game downloads. Though some may..... :cool:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Look as I say, I want to play my legally owned games. If you're so narrow minded that you can't see that concept then just leave the thread, you're not going to convince me that I'm using a pirated game so give it up now, walk away with some pride.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
LastLine said:
Look as I say, I want to play my legally owned games. If you're so narrow minded that you can't see that concept then just leave the thread, you're not going to convince me that I'm using a pirated game so give it up now, walk away with some pride.
I was talking to yg17. Not you.
Now, if your done getting all patriotic about your "legally" downloaded games, there aren't any Mac PS2 emulators.

I love you. I just had to say it. :)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Not downloaded :rolleyes: Bought. DVD Case. Retail Store.

Gee I give up. lol Some people...

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
LastLine said:
Not downloaded :rolleyes: Bought. DVD Case. Retail Store.
You mean like put the PS2 game disk into your computer and play it that way? I never heard of that.....
Now Im interested! I'd love to be able to play Final Fantasy X on my Mac. :eek:

LastLine said:
Gee I give up. lol Some people...
Well sorrrrrry. You just have to be patient with people like me. :p
I still love you. :D

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Lacreo said:
You mean like put the PS2 game disk into your computer and play it that way? I never heard of that.....
Now Im interested! I'd love to be able to play Final Fantasy X on my Mac. :eek:
Well that'd be what an emulator is...just like Virtual PC's an emulator of Windows on a mac for example.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.