Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Within hours of Wednesday's announcement that "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" would be in bookstores on June 21, the book hit No. 1 on Amazon.com's best-seller list.

Much anticipated, and somewhat delayed, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is 768 pages long, and by word count one-third longer than its predecessor, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

That's just about all that was revealed in a joint statement Wednesday from Britain's Bloomsbury Publishers and Scholastic Children's Books in the United States. Details of Harry's latest adventure remain as secret as the whereabouts of Diagon Alley, where Harry buys his wizard supplies.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/01/16/harry.potter.ap/index.html

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife pre-ordered Harry Potter Book #5 yesterday from Amazon.com.UK. She feels that getting the book from England is better, get more of the original intent of the author.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by wdlove
My wife pre-ordered Harry Potter Book #5 yesterday from Amazon.com.UK. She feels that getting the book from England is better, get more of the original intent of the author.
Hmmm, I don't think there is much lost in the translation from English to English....
heh.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
My son received Harry Potter 1 for his birthday last year. We both read it and liked it. So, for Christmas Santa brought him books 2,3 and 4. He is still on book 2, but I burned through all of them in about a week. I can't wait for 5.

The only problem finishing the books before my son is now he wants me to tell him what happens. I don't though. I make him suffer:D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
At least Harry Potter doesn't bring on the killing instint in adults like the purple dino or those teletortures.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

well, you know, all the "thees" and "thous" and "art"... ha!

i hate harry potter.
Not sure what your reasons are for hating the books, but since Harry Potter has come out a lot more children are reading books instead of mindlessly sitting in front of a TV for all hours of the day, Harry Potter is not a bad thing and it doesnt teach kids anything bad, its just literature that happens to be popular.

macsimon

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2003
Originally posted by medea

Hmmm, I don't think there is much lost in the translation from English to English....
heh.

Well actually the first three books were all altered for the US editions. The fourth was published simultaneously without any Americanization, I since the 5th wil also be published simultaneously I guess you will get the British edition too (although it's possble that there will be some editorial changes before publication).

But you probably won't get anything as stupid as the US publisher's decision to change the title of the first book to something meaningless.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

Not sure what your reasons are for hating the books, but since Harry Potter has come out a lot more children are reading books instead of mindlessly sitting in front of a TV for all hours of the day, Harry Potter is not a bad thing and it doesnt teach kids anything bad, its just literature that happens to be popular.

i'm judging it solely on the first movie, which i saw (for 2 bucks)... it was bad. the movie is not the book of course, i realize that... but even the "creativity" of the author doesn't impress me, storywise.

and while the reading increase is certainly good, i can think of fantasy type children's stories that are far more interesting to me (and i obviously only speak my own opinion). for instance, cs lewis's chronicles of narnia.

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002

i'm judging it solely on the first movie, which i saw (for 2 bucks)... it was bad. the movie is not the book of course, i realize that... but even the "creativity" of the author doesn't impress me, storywise.

and while the reading increase is certainly good, i can think of fantasy type children's stories that are far more interesting to me (and i obviously only speak my own opinion). for instance, cs lewis's chronicles of narnia.

C'mon jello! Judging a book on a movie never works. (Except with LOTR).

Harry Potter books are awesome, I don't know why, but to me they just suck me into another world...

P.S. there are better fantasy childrens books, (lewis, tolkein) but Harry potter books are still quite good.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi

I think you should try reading the books before you pass judgement because the movies of course are trimmed down a great deal, how many books have made the transition from page to film flawlessly and without losing something (other than most of the LoTR series?) Harry Potter is good enough and deserves to be placed right up there with books such as the Chronicles of Narnia, it broke the current mold of "fantasy" books like those of R.L.Stine that were so popular. I have no doubt that like C.S.Lewis's, J.K Rowlings books will stand the test of time as she has been able to invoke many great works of literature and mythology, for example look at Argus Filch, the caretaker who looks over Hogwats who is a reference to the Argus in Greek mythology who is a watchman with 100 eyes all over his body, or the Mandrake which has been used in literature many times from all the way back to the Bible and even in Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet when a frightened Juliet states "...loathsome smells and shrieks like mandrake torn out of the earth...".
Harry Potter is not just kids stuff....

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
your kidding right? its nothing more than simple childrens stories so I dont know how you can read so much into it, its really not that complicated and if what you say is true about the mandrakes and all tht then she isnt even original and is just copying from different books.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002

heh.

Packaged better, more like a children's book. Jacket design is the same as the hardback cover. You get the mother tongue of the author. It's also considered more valuable than those sold in the US, according to bidding at eh WGBH Auction.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I love the Harry Potter books. Personally, I can't wait until the next installment. For anyone to say that these books are childs' play obviously haven't read them - they're well constructed, and a damned-good read. I have a 2 year-old son, and he adores Harry - it's because of him (and my wife) that I started reading them. Now, I can't put 'em down...

And hey, like medea said - if it stops kids from watching TV, and stimulates their imagination, then I'm all for it!

:)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
don't yell at me...i used to be a total harry potter freak (anyone know the name of aragog's wife?)

Harry Potter the movie is bad. Basically the only two book-to-movie movies that were decent are the LoTR trilogy (why can't they make the hobbit too!!) and A Beautiful Mind. Don't judge the book by the movie. The movies almost always suck.

I preordered 4 copies of HP5 on Amazon.com, bn.com, and two other websites as soon as i found out bout the june 21 release (because the last time i preordered *late* it came *late*). I really cannot wait until I can read the sequel to the goblet of fire.

However, Harry Potter is technically an adult book (the author intended it to be like that) but it became popular with kids-so everyone thinks it's a children's book. That's why reading is now so suddenly popular in schools all over the WORLD. Harry Potter magically enticed the kids to read and well, if a book actually made kids do that it's special isn't it?

So far I've said reasonably good things about the series. Now it's time for the bad things.

J.K. Rowling got married, is currently pregnant and outlined the plot of each and every book before she started and before she got married was done with at least the first draft of the order of the phoenix. Why on earth is she taking so long to write and publish these books! At this rate, the ten year old kids who first read the sorcerer's/philosopher's stone when it first came out are going to be married by the time the seventh and final book comes out. What on earth is her problem? Does she want to enjoy her wealth while it lasts? She is already a multimillionaire and there are MILLIONS of people out there who are dying to read the next book. The time period between the third and fourth books were *nothing* compared to the wait for the fifth book. I am sorely dissappointed in her.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Sorry but the author (J.K. Rowling) did not intend for the books to be for adults, she started writing them for her children. Oh and writing a novel is not like writing for shows, it's not quite that easy to just produce them, at least not if you care how it turns out. Also, she could stop writing now and still enjoy her "wealth" for a very long time, she didn't start writing to become a popular author so I doubt she is that worried about people losing interest in Harry Potter.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
yeah yeah i heard that before. However, she only had one daughter who was like just BORN when Rowling started to write the series. I know novels aren't easy to produce but at the rate she was formerly going at the fifth book should have been published about 6-14 months ago.

People are already losing interest in Harry Potter. Yes, she could just stop writing and enjoy her wealth but if you were her would you do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.