PDA

View Full Version : Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship - with iP...

MacBytes
Feb 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Navy launches deadliest and most expensive warship - with iPod docks. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060202140919)
Description:: Mess decks are replaced by individual cabins, each with their own I-pod charging points, CD player, internet access, five channel recreational audio and larger berths.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
Feb 2, 2006, 01:32 PM
Sounds better than my dorm. :rolleyes:

Gasu E.
Feb 2, 2006, 01:33 PM
Are Navy iPods limited to 100 db?

WildCowboy
Feb 2, 2006, 01:36 PM
Do you think iPods will be using the same connection hardware in three-plus years when these ships finally come on line?

combatcolin
Feb 2, 2006, 02:30 PM
Internet Access?

Macbook Pro?

(Sailor Using iSight onboard) Hi Dave, whats that noise in the background?

Oh, don't worry about that Gary, its just the Cruise Missiles launcing, were blasting Tehren tonight.

"Cool, Nice one Dave"

:p

bigandy
Feb 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
i saw this baby earlier today when i was through there, and i must say it's going to be quite impressive...

Among the battery of state-of-the-art equipment is a new Principal Anti-Air Missile System, which can trace and destroy hostile objects as small a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound. Its range is effective over a radius of several hundred miles.

that's something.

Jaffa Cake
Feb 2, 2006, 02:48 PM
Among the battery of state-of-the-art equipment is a new Principal Anti-Air Missile System, which can trace and destroy hostile objects as small a cricket ball...That's the Ashes sorted, then.

macjunkie82
Feb 2, 2006, 02:56 PM
Mess decks are replaced by individual cabins, each with their own I-pod charging points, CD player, internet access, five channel recreational audio and larger berths.

You would think, being that the iPod is so popular, the media could spell it right! It's not I-pod, IPod, Ipod, etc, etc!

Say it with me...

Little i...
Big P...
Little o...
Little d...

:rolleyes:

24C
Feb 2, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yep and its stats looked impressive on the Beeb website, especially compared to the older Type 42 class.
Nice to see jobs are still there in shipping, but imagine farming out the design to a Korean dockyard...might be a bit touchy. :eek:

Keynoteuser
Feb 2, 2006, 04:23 PM
Seriously. I-pod? Has the writer ever even SEEN one, or seen an ad, or seen a case for one that has the name on it?

I mean, come on, that's pretty bad. It makes me want to find some British product and munge up the name really good.

wordmunger
Feb 2, 2006, 04:37 PM
Apparently the ship's not going to be completely fitted until 2009. What's the chance those iPod docks will be compatible with the new Micro-mini-holoPods that everyone will be sporting then?

Eniregnat
Feb 2, 2006, 06:53 PM
Odd, while I know the U.S. military (at least the Army) allows its soldiers to have iPods, I also know that their use is restricted. I remember boarding a navy ship and one of the seaman I talked to told me that the use of flash-memory drives, cards and the like were restricted. This would make sense, as I saw a Dell running the "big-board" in the com. room. I wonder how they deal with security issues.

shamino
Feb 2, 2006, 07:19 PM
Odd, while I know the U.S. military (at least the Army) allows its soldiers to have iPods, I also know that their use is restricted. I remember boarding a navy ship and one of the seaman I talked to told me that the use of flash-memory drives, cards and the like were restricted. This would make sense, as I saw a Dell running the "big-board" in the com. room. I wonder how they deal with security issues.
Makes sense.

Memory cards, portable drives and the like can be used to remove classified documents and to introduce virusses. You would want to keep them away from any secure systems, which would mean out of any rooms where those systems are accessed.

I would be surprised if they were restricted from insecure areas (like crew quarters and mess halls).

Neerazan
Feb 3, 2006, 04:15 AM
'Scuse me for being a pedant and all, but the article said 'iPod charging points' not 'iPod docks'. Last time I checked my iPod charger was a 3 pin plug, same as my kettle, my toaster, my tv... in fact all of my electrical kit. :)

And given that manufacturers have to pay Apple for a licence to incorporate their docks into their kit, can you see the Royal Navy paying a fee to Apple for every battleship they make? :p

combatcolin
Feb 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
'Scuse me for being a pedant and all, but the article said 'iPod charging points' not 'iPod docks'. Last time I checked my iPod charger was a 3 pin plug, same as my kettle, my toaster, my tv... in fact all of my electrical kit. :)

And given that manufacturers have to pay Apple for a licence to incorporate their docks into their kit, can you see the Royal Navy paying a fee to Apple for every battleship they make? :p

Eevn more intresting would be an Apple license officer turning up at Portsmouth demanding access!

Eniregnat
Feb 4, 2006, 02:04 PM

My point, if you were referring to it, was that there are plenty of places where any electronic drive/storage is banned period. Sometimes with the best of intentions, people forget what devices are capable of. Heck there are plenty of companies that would have you check your electronics at the door, I was just wondering about how they restrict the access, or if they make a point to.

There is a good question, I wonder what Apple charges for use of it's proprietary doc connector- a few cents per unit?

iMeowbot
Feb 4, 2006, 02:30 PM
I have a funny feeling that those "docks" will end up being shelves or cabinets with convenient airline-style power taps, all they'll have to worry about is adapter cables.

portent
Feb 4, 2006, 02:50 PM
My point, if you were referring to it...

Somehow, I think perhaps Neerazan was talking to, perhaps, WildCowboy or wordmunger, and not yourself.

WildCowboy
Feb 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
So, by "I-pod charging points," they mean electrical outlets? Whoop-de-do.

Neerazan
Feb 4, 2006, 05:25 PM
Somehow, I think perhaps Neerazan was talking to, perhaps, WildCowboy or wordmunger, and not yourself.

Actually, it was kind of a pop at whoever posted the title of the original link, which (as happens a lot around here) may have overhyped and misrepresented the facts as stated in the article itself. Seems a lot of people read the headlines, less read the fine print :)

Knowing someone that runs IT systems on Royal Navy vessels, I can say with a level of certainty that they don't network tactical systems into the general ship wide open network, so don't panic on that count...

...they do run some stuff on Windows though...