Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I haven't yet discovered how to have Aperture remove images from my camera's memory card when its finished importing images.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
After the import is comleted, Aperture will ask, if you want to delete images & eject card or just to eject card or do nothing. Hope this helps :)

However this app lack image-deletion option while looking through pictures on the card :mad:

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Don't do it...

I lost a bunch of shots back in the early days with iPhoto deleting the pictures after capture and the hardrive crashing at the end of the session. The files were lost on both devices at the same time.

From that time forward I have always deleted the images via the camera's controls after checking to make sure they are on the hard drive and if possible backed up to another hard drive or optical media ASAP.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Always delete images from the memory card when the card is back in the camera -- do a "format card." NEVER delete in the computer because that leaves extra junk on the memory card that the camera then can't understand and can cause problems down the road. Always delete/format in-camera.

And, yes, always check to make sure that the images are safely stored in the computer before you do anything else. As rjphoto mentions, it's a good idea to go ahead and right then and there back the images up to another drive or optical media, too, just to be sure. THEN go ahead and clear the card of the images.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Clix Pix said:
Always delete images from the memory card when the card is back in the camera -- do a "format card." NEVER delete in the computer because that leaves extra junk on the memory card that the camera then can't understand and can cause problems down the road. Always delete/format in-camera.

And, yes, always check to make sure that the images are safely stored in the computer before you do anything else. As rjphoto mentions, it's a good idea to go ahead and right then and there back the images up to another drive or optical media, too, just to be sure. THEN go ahead and clear the card of the images.

But what if you have a 4 gig card full of images? I would die before I would be able to delete them all from camera! :eek:

BTW I never lost images when deleted them from computer

Thomas S

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
eXan said:
But what if you have a 4 gig card full of images? I would die before I would be able to delete them all from camera! :eek:

BTW I never lost images when deleted them from computer

It takes 3 or so button presses to do on my D200s. Menu > Format Card > Double Check/Yes > Formatted.

Go into your menu then format card. Check your owner's manual if you don't know how. You don't delete them one by one :D.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Some words of advice:

Don't delete the photos from the memory card before making a real backup, ie. on CD.

You might thank me for this one day. ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thomas_S said:
It takes 3 or so button presses to do on my D200s. Menu > Format Card > Double Check/Yes > Formatted.

Go into your menu then format card. Check your owner's manual if you don't know how. You don't delete them one by one :D.

Exactly. When you hit "Format," that deletes everything from your memory card and it does it quite rapidly. No need to tediously delete each image individually.

It's the same sort of deal as wiping a hard drive clean -- you know, when you're trying to resolve some mess in a Windows machine and realize that the only way to do is to simply bite the bullet and do the ole command: C:\format.....(or whatever it is, thank God it's been a while now since I've had to do that!)

When dealing with a camera's memory card, whether it be a CF card, SD card, Sony Memory Stick, xD card, whatever....it's important to do this IN THE CAMERA, NOT IN THE COMPUTER.

And, yes, before you do this, make SURE that your images are safely where you want them AND that they are also safely in a backup location.

Tel

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
England
I made a useful little Automator action to download my RAW files from my 300D, rename them, archive them into a .dmg file backed up to my external hard drive, burn them to disk (optional) and then save a copy to a new folder on my desktop ready for working on. Once I'm finished working on them, I have another action to back up all RAW files I have worked on as well as all the .psd files and finished images I have, it also saves a copy of my finished images and resizes them so I can upload them for posting online.

Those two actions save me so much time and effort, I highly recommend that people should do the same.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Some words of advice:

Don't delete the photos from the memory card before making a real backup, ie. on CD.

You might thank me for this one day. ;)
I use my iPod to backup my shots. So you're saying this isn't a "real" backup? Aside from the shots with my girlfriend or family, which someone else obviously has in either situation, I'm not THAT scared of losing my shots that I'll have them places other than my iPod, my hard drive, my flickr...

That's just me. ;)

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006

Just so you know, it is a D200, no S. It might be easier to click two red buttons on the camera...you hold them in then the screen on top displays "FORMAT" (or it might be FOR, can't remember) and then you let go of the buttons and hit them again...and it is reformated without having to go through the menus....kinda easier:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.