PDA

View Full Version : Prize offered to get XP on an Intel based Mac reaches $10,00...

MacBytes
Feb 3, 2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Prize offered to get XP on an Intel based Mac reaches $10,000. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060203111907)
Description:: The prize for first person to make XP dual boot on a Intel Mac reaches $10,007.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mhar4
Feb 3, 2006, 10:27 AM
WHY?!

What's the point of buying Mac to run Windows? Why not, you know, get a Dell?

angelwatt
Feb 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been mentioned on my local news stations. With this high of a cash-in you'd think it'd be getting more attention than just from the techies and fans.

I'm sure there's some Apple guy that has the answer, sitting on his hands, looking at the prize money and not wanting to risk sending in the awaited answer fearing hat Steve might be watching.

jsw
Feb 3, 2006, 10:31 AM
What's the point of buying Mac to run Windows?
Oh, I thought that was obvious: to get $10,000.

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
I dont own a windows computer and haven't since 1998. We use strictly Macs at work (besides headless printing rip machines), and I use strictly Macs at home. That being said, I like the idea of having the OPTION to boot into Windows or Linux or whatever. If I could dual boot now I would occasionally boot up windows to play a game or what not. Options are good.

grapes911
Feb 3, 2006, 10:37 AM

Dual booting, my friend, dual booting. We've all come across a time when something would be easier if we had Windows. There are some exclusive Window apps, games, and more. No one would only use windows, but it would be nice to have for certain situations.

ajbrehm
Feb 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
I dont own a windows computer and haven't since 1998. We use strictly Macs at work (besides headless printing rip machines), and I use strictly Macs at home. That being said, I like the idea of having the OPTION to boot into Windows or Linux or whatever. If I could dual boot now I would occasionally boot up windows to play a game or what not. Options are good.

That's exactly the problem.

If users start rebooting to play games, demand for Mac games will go down, and more users have to reboot. We need Mac software, not the ability to use Windows software!

If you need to run Windows for special applications (not games, but applications that won't be available for Mac OS because it's just a different niche), wait for Virtual PC or some such solution. Don't risk reboots!

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
Fast OS switching would be radical.

"Oh you use a mac..."
"Yeah why? Are you more used to this.."
taps f7 on the keyboard and Leopard cubes away to Vista.
"Woooah"

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
Until virtual pc or another solution comes along allowing native speeds of games through OS X, dual boot is the way to go. Ideally of course I agree having all these games and apps be mac native would be great. I'm looking more into the very near future.

What are the chances of the gaming companies making all games Mac and Pc compatible? How many computers would Apple need to start selling for that to be a reality?

ibook30
Feb 3, 2006, 10:50 AM

"Oh you use a mac..."
"Woooah"

Options are good - and having the option to run windows removes one of the excuses from the folks who have not tried a mac.

Plus 10 grand could pay a couple of bills....

Sogo
Feb 3, 2006, 10:51 AM
See, now thats a prize that will make people work hard to get XP on a mac.

dornoforpyros
Feb 3, 2006, 10:54 AM
:eek: I'm shocked

cnakeitaro
Feb 3, 2006, 11:01 AM
All they are gonna do is break their shiny new iMacs.

plastique45
Feb 3, 2006, 11:01 AM
Until virtual pc or another solution comes along allowing native speeds of games through OS X, dual boot is the way to go. Ideally of course I agree having all these games and apps be mac native would be great. I'm looking more into the very near future.

What are the chances of the gaming companies making all games Mac and Pc compatible? How many computers would Apple need to start selling for that to be a reality?

There will never be native speed in ANY emulator.

plinkoman
Feb 3, 2006, 11:19 AM
There will never be native speed in ANY emulator.

well thats good then because with windows and mac based on the same architecture now, it wouldn't have to emulate anything. ;)

nagromme
Feb 3, 2006, 11:45 AM
Some people DO have reasons to need Windows, even if they don't like it: for me, it's to occasionally test web sites and apps I make for clients who use Windows.

But no dual-boot for me. Virtual PC (or equivalent) is definitely the way to go.

That way you KNOW (rather than just HOPE) that the next Kama Sutra-style vandalism virus isn't going to erase your Mac hard disk. Because Windows may not be able to read HFS volumes, but it can still erase them.

Unless, that is, you wish to spend the time to make yourself an expert on securing Windows, and keep on top of all the latest issues. Some say Windows can be fully as virus-safe as Macs if you're a real expert and spend the time. Me, I don't have the time or energy for all that.

The best thing about Windows on Mac, though, is that it gives people a psychological cushion when they are terrified of leaving the "comfort" of Microsoft. They can now, for the first time, CONSIDER a Mac at all--because it can always run their comfy familiar Windows if they chicken out. Of course, very few will actually DO that--but know they CAN run both OS's is powerful.

crees!
Feb 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
I just donated 15 smackers. :D Better $15 going to some guy rather than me breaking my machine permanently trying.

TheMasin9
Feb 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

"Oh you use a mac..."
"Woooah"
that would be sweet, still i dont much like the idea of windoze running on my beautiful mac..

rikers_mailbox
Feb 3, 2006, 12:18 PM
Grar. I just realized TaxCut does not have a Mac version for 2005!! :mad:

Hey developers... hurry up and get Windows working on those Intel Macs so I can do my taxes!! ;) :rolleyes:

<throws 10-bucks into the pot>

SiliconAddict
Feb 3, 2006, 12:22 PM
The reasoning is very simple. People want to switch but they won’t or simply can’t do it cold turkey. I myself have several thousand dollars invested in Windows software that encompasses both entertainment software and work related software.

When I need access to something like MS Access or occasionally FrontPage I’m not going to drag along a second laptop. Nor should people need to keep two computers at their desk because it makes a handful of people feel insecure that Windows and OS X are bedfellows on the same hardware. No this $10,000+ reward is born out of the hope that users of Mac can ditch some of their hardware while still allowing access to their software.

Frankly I look forward to the day when I can boot into Windows and play a game of Civ IV. No doubt someone will get Windows dual booting WELL before Civ IV is released on the Mac.

Oh and FYI if someone doesn't make the March 23 deadline all proceeds go to the Electronic Frontier Foundation unless you directly ask for the money back from him. I consider it a win win situation.

Baron58
Feb 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
WHY?!

I have software that reads/writes data into the engine & systems computers of two cars (VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com, and Harrison CANSCAN). Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on? It needs direct access to USB, by the way, so any kind of virtualisation/emulation solution won't work

I have software to update & customise various cellphones (Nokia & Motorola). Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on? Also needs direct access to USB.

I'm taking some classes that occasionally require some Windows-only software to read instrument data. Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?

I have a couple of web-based applications that I use for work where the vendor wrote them using dotNET and VBScript and other crap that only works in IE6 for Windows. Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?

If you feel that strongly about it, then I'll send you my PayPal info so you can transfer me about $2500 to get a Windows-based notebook.... but you'll also need to write a dissertation explaining how I'm to carry both my PowerBook and the Windows notebook around so I have both whenever I need one or the other, etc.

Or, all you negative-voting people can just ****.

I'm serious about the PayPal thing. I'll accept free money from anyone. No problem.

SiliconAddict
Feb 3, 2006, 12:42 PM
I have software that reads/writes data into the engine & systems computers of two cars (VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com, and Harrison CANSCAN). Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on? It needs direct access to USB, by the way, so any kind of virtualisation/emulation solution won't work

Are you sure about that? WMWare has the ability to directly access USB. Hopefully if they wisely decide to release WMWare Workstation on OS X you should have direct access to USB.

redAPPLE
Feb 3, 2006, 12:49 PM
I just donated 15 smackers. :D Better $15 going to some guy rather than me breaking my machine permanently trying.

who keeps the money if no one succeeds? or if no one really tries?

PlaceofDis
Feb 3, 2006, 12:54 PM
makes me wonder if someone has figured it out yet, and is just waiting to see how big the pot gets before getting or claiming a prize. ;) :D

SiliconAddict
Feb 3, 2006, 01:02 PM

See my post above or read the contest rules.

balamw
Feb 3, 2006, 01:03 PM
6. If it is determined impossible to boot Windows on the Mac by March 23, 2006, all donations will be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

People are trying alright....

I found it interesting that they now have a forum and known hackers like daeken (Cody Brocious) seem to be going after this.

B

SiliconAddict
Feb 3, 2006, 01:03 PM
makes me wonder if someone has figured it out yet, and is just waiting to see how big the pot gets before getting or claiming a prize. ;) :D

That's not even funny! :eek: Imagine 1/2 hour before it expires. In March... 20 grand? :eek: Hack the Mac....get a new car. :D

SiliconAddict
Feb 3, 2006, 01:05 PM
6. If it is determined impossible to boot Windows on the Mac by March 23, 2006, all donations will be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
B

Please don't skip over the rest of the text.... Its

If it is determined impossible to boot Windows on the Mac by March 23, 2006, all donations will be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation. If you donated prior to 2006/01/23 2:10pm CST, and you do not wish to donate to charity, I will return your money minus the paypal fee.

balamw
Feb 3, 2006, 01:13 PM
Please don't skip over the rest of the text.... Its
I didn't think it was relevant since it's well after 1/23 and anyone who objects to donating to charity (or the EFF in particular) should have already requested their refund.

B

Stridder44
Feb 3, 2006, 02:43 PM
Dude!

That's < $10,000!! With that much money going into this I should hope people are trying!

RichP
Feb 3, 2006, 03:20 PM
If you feel that strongly about it, then I'll send you my PayPal info so you can transfer me about $2500 to get a Windows-based notebook.... but you'll also need to write a dissertation explaining how I'm to carry both my PowerBook and the Windows notebook around so I have both whenever I need one or the other, etc.

Or, all you negative-voting people can just ****.

Blunt, but well said my fellow german car fanatic.

cal6n
Feb 3, 2006, 03:59 PM
Dude!

That's < $10,000!! ...

Er no, Dude!

That's > $10,000!!

(sorry for the pedantry) :p

zakatov
Feb 3, 2006, 05:03 PM

"Oh you use a mac..."
"Woooah"

Yea, and 5 minutes later it gets a virus and wipes the HD.

Wooah my ass. Win alongside OSX is dumb.

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
Yea, and 5 minutes later it gets a virus and wipes the HD.

Oh yeah silly me, I forgot that that would almost certainly happen.

iSaint
Feb 3, 2006, 07:50 PM
Grar. I just realized TaxCut does not have a Mac version for 2005!! :mad:

Hey developers... hurry up and get Windows working on those Intel Macs so I can do my taxes!! ;) :rolleyes:

<throws 10-bucks into the pot>

Do your taxes online with Turbo Tax (http://www.turbotax.com/tax_products/online_products.html?source=ttcommain).

Peace
Feb 4, 2006, 10:15 AM

I'm sure there's someone out there that's doing just that! :)

mhar4
Feb 5, 2006, 07:23 AM
I have software that reads/writes data into the engine & systems computers of two cars (VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com, and Harrison CANSCAN). Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?
I have software to update & customise various cellphones (Nokia & Motorola). Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?

I'm taking some classes that occasionally require some Windows-only software to read instrument data. Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?

I have a couple of web-based applications that I use for work where the vendor wrote them using dotNET and VBScript and other crap that only works in IE6 for Windows. Do you want to buy me a Windows-based system to run it on?

Sounds like to me that what you really need for your particular requirements is a Windows-based system.

grapes911
Feb 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
Sounds like to me that what you really need for your particular requirements is a Windows-based system.
Currently, it does sound like he/she does need a Windows machine. But if you could dual boot a Mac, then he/she would have something just as good as a windows machine with out actually having to purchase one (assuming he/she would purchase a Mac anyway). This is exactly the type of person a dual boot would benefit.

mainstreetmark
Feb 6, 2006, 04:28 PM
WHY?!

In the guy's own words, obtained by reading his website...
http://www.pintmaster.com/wordpress/20060123/why-run-os-x-and-windows-xp-on-an-intel-mac/