PDA

View Full Version : New PB12" is HOT - in more ways than one!

iAndy
Jan 16, 2003, 10:06 PM
According to Walt Mossberg: '12-inch PowerBook is one sweet little laptop'

Evidentally he really liked the notebook, with one exception - Like many others before him, the only problem Mossberg had with the computer was that it "gets pretty hot because of its metal skin."

As I mainly use my laptop in the true sense of the term, my question to you folks who were lucky enough to get your hands on the new PB12's at MWSF is - How hot is hot ?!?

hot - useful leg warmer during the winter months
Hot - OK for short sessions and then keeping coffee warm
HOT ! - burns possible if fall asleep using this sucker
HOT !!! - likely need of skin graft

If either of the last two, then I think I am better off waiting for the expected 15" Al version upgrade, as this will _hopefully_ dissipate heater better.

Andy

Over Achiever
Jan 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
[little rant]Wow...I get no respect here. No one realizes that I posted the WSJ article for discussion...bah[/little rant]

*calms down*

Well, it depends on where he reviewed the powerbook...if it was sitting on the lighted table, it will get hot! The table probably was a bad heat dissipater, and the light didn't help cool the powerbook down!

By comparison, it seems that the 17" model didn't get hot as some that went to MWSF have stated...it might be an isolated case.

Oh yeah, here is my original thread: ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=17778

RBMaraman
Jan 16, 2003, 10:28 PM
I don't think anyone's going to get second degree burns from using the 12" or 17" Powerbooks. Apple has done extensive research on heat distribution, and I think they've finally gotten things figured out. Remember, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the thing if it was a danger to the public.

alset
Jan 16, 2003, 10:56 PM
Once again, I mention that the AI casing is more likely to warp as a result of heat. I would expect Apple has compensated for this.

Dan

Glossybear
Jan 16, 2003, 11:41 PM
While I may not be INJURED by the heat off a PB I imagine it could be pretty uncomfortable! I mean I have a iBook 600 and I can be writing a .doc with it on my lap and I'll start SWEATING. the sucker gets WARM! It can't be good for my spem-count...

iAndy
Jan 17, 2003, 12:49 AM
OverAchiever
[little rant]Wow...I get no respect here. No one realizes that I posted the WSJ article for discussion...bah[/little rant] Sorry OverAchiever ! If I had spotted your earlier posting I would not have started this thread :eek: Perhaps it was due to the time difference, or just that I am a dozey newbie poster...

RBMaraman
I don't think anyone's going to get second degree burns from using the 12" or 17" Powerbooks. Apple has done extensive research on heat distribution, and I think they've finally gotten things figured out. Remember, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the thing if it was a danger to the public. Thanks that is reassuring. But on your last point there was a recent case of someone falling asleep and burning there private parts with a Dell laptop... Man Burns P#nis With Laptop ! (http://212.100.234.54/content/54/28245.html)

alset
Once again, I mention that the AI casing is more likely to warp as a result of heat. I would expect Apple has compensated for this. WOW - warping! And do you mean that they have strengthened the casing, or somehow reduced the operating temperature of the PB12 ?

Glossybear
...the sucker gets WARM! It can't be good for my sperm-count.... Exactly what my wife is most worried about ! ;)

Well having just heard from my Apple dealer that they are unlikely to even have demo PB12's out here in Hong Kong until the END of MARCH :( , I am sure that many folks will be posting feedback on the machines operating temperature well before then.
Andy