PDA

View Full Version : UT2k4 Universal Binary... OUT!

chibianh
Feb 3, 2006, 07:11 PM
Check it out for all you iNtel Mac owners.. :D

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14155

Or for more efficient downloading, the torrent can be found at

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18155

jared_kipe
Feb 3, 2006, 11:49 PM
I believe this is reported earlier, but not the torrent download Thanks. Here's to more sweet updates real soon.

eXan
Feb 4, 2006, 03:47 AM
Good. I wonder how fast those i/Mac/Book Pros run this game!

Through Rosetta iMac got only 8 fps :D

LimeiBook86
Feb 4, 2006, 05:12 AM
I can't wait! I already downloaded the update, all I need to do now is buy UT 2004 for Mac, I have it for my PC but, now I'll be able to play it on my new intel iMac. I played the demo in Rosetta which was bad but, I have high expectations for this! :D I wish more places other than the Apple Store sold Mac software, oh well, maybe I'll convince my brother to take me there today :D

topgunn
Feb 4, 2006, 08:18 AM
Barefeats has benchmarks of the new Universal version of Unreal on the Intel iMac. In Unreal benchmark, the Core Duo 2.0GHz outscores the 2.1GHz G5 80 to 56 fps.

LimeiBook86
Feb 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
Barefeats has benchmarks of the new Universal version of Unreal on the Intel iMac. In Unreal benchmark, the Core Duo 2.0GHz outscores the 2.1GHz G5 80 to 56 fps.
Oh...my...god... I'm going to get this now! weee! :D

eXan
Feb 4, 2006, 09:23 PM

Well, if this is true, then its awesome!!!

BTW which resolution they used in Ut2004 Bridge of Fate? My iMac (17 inch 2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 128 MB) gets 35 fps @ 1440x900

*EDIT oh i see they ran those tests @ 1024x768*

I wonder how many FPS new intelMacs get in Starcraft? :D

ZildjianKX
Feb 4, 2006, 09:25 PM
Keep in mind when comparing the different iMacs, the new ones have vastly better graphics cards, so can't compare the processors at all.

eXan
Feb 4, 2006, 09:36 PM
Keep in mind when comparing the different iMacs, the new ones have vastly better graphics cards, so can't compare the processors at all.

Note, that UT is a very CPU-bound game as you can see in flyby/botmatch tests

Littleodie914
Feb 4, 2006, 11:14 PM
Wow that's amazing! (The speed in an earlier post.) Could somebody with one of the Intel iMacs download the demo and run it just to make sure it's not a hoax? And depending on how fast (or slow) it runs on the new iMacs, how would this compare approximately to the speed on the MacBook? Thanks! ;)

Littleodie914
Feb 4, 2006, 11:20 PM
A second note... How about the performance of the Intel iMacs in Halo? I was checking out the barefeats.com review that contained the specs for UT2k4 and even when running under Rosetta, the iMac CD 2.0 scored 22fps on average. That's not too bad at all, if you ask me... I play medal of honor on my iBook at sometimes 15-20 in the outdoor levels and I'm very impressed with the speed. Once these games get optimized and "universalized", I can't wait to see how fast they get!

(MacBook Pro for college, here I come! :) )

eXan
Feb 5, 2006, 12:45 AM
Wow that's amazing! (The speed in an earlier post.) Could somebody with one of the Intel iMacs download the demo and run it just to make sure it's not a hoax? And depending on how fast (or slow) it runs on the new iMacs, how would this compare approximately to the speed on the MacBook? Thanks! ;)

The high-end MBP (1.83Ghz) should be the about the same as low-end (17 inch) iMac, since they have the same specs

jeffy.dee-lux
Feb 5, 2006, 01:09 AM
is there a way to get this patch to fix the demo for intel as well? I only have the demo, don't want the full game, at least not until i see how the demo performs when its running natively. Do we just have to wait until they release a universal demo?

eXan
Feb 5, 2006, 01:13 AM
is there a way to get this patch to fix the demo for intel as well? I only have the demo, don't want the full game, at least not until i see how the demo performs when its running natively. Do we just have to wait until they release a universal demo?

They might release UB demo, but I really dont think they will.

BTW you will not see a single framerate drop on the new intel-based machines, so go get this awesome game and have fun! :)

LimeiBook86
Feb 5, 2006, 05:12 PM
After I heard the news I went out and bought a copy of UT 2004 from my local Apple Store. I installed it on my iMac, updated it with the patch. And set the settings on the highest they would go...the result? A lot of fun. The game runs almost perfectly, I've only gotten minor hiccups when playing full-screen on the highest resolution with everything on high. If I down one level in the screen resolution everything is perfect. I'm running it on my 20" 2ghz Intel iMac with 2gb of RAM with the upgraded 256mb ATI card.

The game runs great, and this is only on the first patch! I can't wait for more updates or fixes, this game continues to be one of my favorites. :D

MacRumorUser
Feb 5, 2006, 05:30 PM
Damn.. I'm strugling to get hold of a copy. No apple store's near me and Apple Online Store doesnt have them.. Is there any website that does shipping to Europe with mac games, new and secondhand?

Josh396
Feb 5, 2006, 06:56 PM
The high-end MBP (1.83Ghz) should be the about the same as low-end (17 inch) iMac, since they have the same specs
Except you get 256 VRAM on the MBP. I'm sure it won't be a huge factor but it could help.

After I heard the news I went out and bought a copy of UT 2004 from my local Apple Store. I installed it on my iMac, updated it with the patch. And set the settings on the highest they would go...the result? A lot of fun. The game runs almost perfectly, I've only gotten minor hiccups when playing full-screen on the highest resolution with everything on high. If I down one level in the screen resolution everything is perfect. I'm running it on my 20" 2ghz Intel iMac with 2gb of RAM with the upgraded 256mb ATI card.

The game runs great, and this is only on the first patch! I can't wait for more updates or fixes, this game continues to be one of my favorites. :D
That's great to hear. I'm tempted to go out and buy the game myself just to try it out. It's nice to see Macs finally catching up to PC's in the gaming side of things.

chibianh
Feb 5, 2006, 10:58 PM

that's great to hear! What FPS rate are you getting?

Malfoy
Feb 5, 2006, 11:16 PM
I didn't think there were that many UT players here. We all need to get in a game sometime.:cool:

LimeiBook86
Feb 6, 2006, 08:53 AM
While playing on DM-Antalus with no bots, with everything on high my average FPS were around 60. I got all the way down to 42 and then all the way up to 96 in some spots. This was with no bots though. The only time it went to 42 was when I was splashing in the water shooting the mini-gun all over the place and twirling the mouse around like crazy. When I had a few bots on it was still very playable but, there was a little slow-down for a second or so once and a while but, that's ok because it was hardly noticeable.

I just turned down my resolution one notch and then everything ran smooth with no problems at all. Again this is only the first patch, so I supposed we can get more intel updates/fixes along the way. :D Happy gaming

Josh396
Feb 6, 2006, 02:18 PM
I just turned down my resolution one notch and then everything ran smooth with no problems at all. Again this is only the first patch, so I supposed we can get more intel updates/fixes along the way. :D Happy gaming
I've also heard the X1600 drivers aren't that great right now either. So hopefully with updated drivers and patches things could get much better.

LimeiBook86
Feb 6, 2006, 07:37 PM
I've also heard the X1600 drivers aren't that great right now either. So hopefully with updated drivers and patches things could get much better.
Yeah I hope we get those soon :)

Joeytpg
Feb 7, 2006, 03:35 PM
hi, guys now that i see you talking about U.T. universal binary, i'm having a little problem. I have U.T. 2004 and i was able to play it fine in my powerbook g4 running Panther, but now i try to install it on my new iMac g5 running Tiger and i can't even install it, after it asks me to enter the Code, it won't start the installation, instead it just closes. Any ideas/help?

thanks

Schmittroth
Feb 7, 2006, 03:56 PM
hi, guys now that i see you talking about U.T. universal binary, i'm having a little problem. I have U.T. 2004 and i was able to play it fine in my powerbook g4 running Panther, but now i try to install it on my new iMac g5 running Tiger and i can't even install it, after it asks me to enter the Code, it won't start the installation, instead it just closes. Any ideas/help?

thanks

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/ut2k4/support/MacSoft-UT2K4-Support.html

Download the updated installer here.

Joeytpg
Feb 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
thank you very much buddy......do i need to install that in the applications folder and then intall the game using the CD??

Schmittroth
Feb 7, 2006, 09:11 PM
thank you very much buddy......do i need to install that in the applications folder and then intall the game using the CD??

yeah just put in the CD and run the new installer.

Joeytpg
Feb 7, 2006, 10:01 PM
thank you very much, downloading it right now. :)

i'll let you know if it works

Joeytpg
Feb 8, 2006, 10:47 PM
it didn't work......the patch needs the game to be installed, and i can't stall the game......when i enter the key it gives me an error...........so no luck :(

Schmittroth
Feb 9, 2006, 04:53 AM
it didn't work......the patch needs the game to be installed, and i can't stall the game......when i enter the key it gives me an error...........so no luck :(

Download the updated installer in the troubleshooting section. See attachment.

Joeytpg
Feb 10, 2006, 09:59 AM
it's working now!! thank you very very much bud.

:)

ikin
Feb 12, 2006, 05:38 AM
Wow, just installed it,

Put all the settings on max and played it all night.

Runs amazing, I cant belive how god it runs. This is a great test to see how they perform and its outstanding. Download the patch now.

Im using a 20" intel imac, 1gig ram.

fansub
Nov 15, 2006, 06:54 PM
ut2k4 used to fun flawlessly on my macbook pro but since the latest patch it only gets as far as the loading splash screen, i went to the trouble shooting website and downloaded the patch said was supposed to fix this error but still no good! can anyone help?

fansub
Nov 15, 2006, 06:59 PM
ut2k4 used to fun flawlessly on my macbook pro but since the latest patch it only gets as far as the loading splash screen, i went to the trouble shooting website and downloaded the patch said was supposed to fix this error but still no good! can anyone help?

wazgilbert
Apr 8, 2007, 07:55 AM
Has anyone tried this on a Mini? I'd like to make a rough comparison for casual gaming purposes compared to my old PC

Thanks

dmw007
Apr 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
Has anyone tried this on a Mini? I'd like to make a rough comparison for casual gaming purposes compared to my old PC

Thanks

Unless you did not have a very good graphic card in your PC, the Mini is not likely to beat it for gaming. :o

nagromme
Apr 9, 2007, 10:32 PM

Maybe check the .log file for clues, and report back any errors that might help with a diagnosis. (Sort by date to find the log, in Application Support / UT 2004 / System.)

A fresh install may help, or try pulling the entire UT 2004 folder out of App Support to make all your settings reset.

Also--do you have multiple user accounts? Sometimes permissions can get set wrong for specific files within the game's package.

Luis
Apr 9, 2007, 10:47 PM
Also try lowering the resolution... fixed the problem when I played on the TV...

nagromme
Apr 9, 2007, 11:01 PM
Also try lowering the resolution... fixed the problem when I played on the TV...

True--if you play at one res, then try to launch later on a display that can't handle that res, it won't launch.

So to change the res, go to your "UT2004.ini" in App Support / UT 2004 / System, open it in TextEdit, and search for [SDLDrv.SDLClient] WITH the brackets. You'll find the res numbers just below--edit them to something your display can handle.

polishmacuser
Apr 9, 2007, 11:32 PM
I can't wait! I already downloaded the update, all I need to do now is buy UT 2004 for Mac, I have it for my PC but, now I'll be able to play it on my new intel iMac. I played the demo in Rosetta which was bad but, I have high expectations for this! :D I wish more places other than the Apple Store sold Mac software, oh well, maybe I'll convince my brother to take me there today :Dfor the software thing look at frys electronics and compusa they have software there, i guess only a little. oh well i hope i helped a bit