PDA

View Full Version : Apple's US market share increases in Q4

will
Jan 17, 2003, 03:22 AM
From news.com (suprised this hasn't made it as a news item):

"Apple Computer, the fifth-largest manufacturer in the United States, saw its U.S. market share rise from 2.9 percent to 3 percent in the fourth quarter."

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-981068.html?tag=fd_top

Given the lack of compelling new machines available in this quarter (new laptops didn't ship until towards the end) I think this result is pretty good.

Provided Apple can get new iMacs/eMacs/PM out early in this quarter it should be better.

jayscheuerle
Jan 17, 2003, 08:46 AM
Sure, this is better than a negative report, but what do these numbers really mean? What are they based on? Is it a sales thing? If so, then computers with longevity aren't being counted. I'd be much more interested in their marketshare in terms of home computers. That would reflect personal choice versus having a machine foisted on you at work.

My home machine is a souped-up beige G3. That's a 5 year old machine that many would call "obsolete" or even a dinosaur, yet I'm running OSX on it and using iTunes to manage 35 gigs of mp3s that play through my stereo. Most PC users would be on their second machine by now (if not third) and would certainly not be running XP on the machine if it was that old. Based on purchases of machines, that would be a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 ratio and yet not indicative of machines that are currently running.

As long as the market share is high-enough for developers to support, we'll be fine...

brogers
Jan 17, 2003, 09:22 AM
I agree with you jayscheuerle. My iMac DV SE..although now given to my wife and kids...is still running like a dream with 10.2.3. I bought it in 1999 when a friend of mine bought an HP. Funny thing is, he ended up buying a second HP and now a Sony because of problems with HP's.

So you are right. One of my Macs to his three PC's.

will
Jan 17, 2003, 09:53 AM
I can see where you're both coming from, but from Apple's point of view it matters. Apple needs to sell as much new hardware as possible if it is to increase its userbase and remain profitable. It's also much easier to measure sales than machines in use.

I think Apple should aim for 10% share of machines in use. I'm hoping the 970 will help make this possible.