PDA

View Full Version : imac or Dual G4??

noelmac75
Jan 17, 2003, 06:48 AM
I'am really stuck on which one to get, I love the look of imac but I'am put off by the single processor and lack of upgradeability, but I'am also put off by the rumors I'am hearing about the Dual G4, about them being noisy, high price.
I currently own a 450mhz G4 , i use it daily for work using graphics, DTP etc..
Which one do u think I should get?

Sun Baked
Jan 17, 2003, 07:35 AM
You may want the upgradability of the Tower...

The price of the low-end isn't that bad if you already have a machine and monitor - just reuse the monitor.

The dual processor machines really do work a LOT better under OS X than OS 9, the OS is built for it -- so you will make use of them nearly all the time.

And as stated time after time, even if you want to stick with LCD monitors instead of CRTs, there are decent values and prices once you start looking around.

noelmac75
Jan 17, 2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
You may want the upgradability of the Tower...

The price of the low-end isn't that bad if you already have a machine and monitor - just reuse the monitor.

The dual processor machines really do work a LOT better under OS X than OS 9, the OS is built for it -- so you will make use of them nearly all the time.

And as stated time after time, even if you want to stick with LCD monitors instead of CRTs, there are decent values and prices once you start looking around.

Thanks for advice.

Its just thats it a lot of money to give out for a new lcd and new dual g4 if the imac is going to be satisfactory to my needs, yeah i really like the new lcds, when i tried out the 17" imac , i said i've gota have one of these.
But now i'am thinking of changing my mind to one of the new duals, is there a big speed increase with the 2 processors compared to the one, whats advantages do u have with the 2 in likes of photoshop,games, internet, music etc..??

Chaszmyr
Jan 17, 2003, 08:02 AM
Well heres my advice. Assess what kind of monitor you currently have. Is it as good/better than the 17'' imac's monitor, or is it not as good? If it is not as good get a 17'' iMac... If it is as good or better get a low-end PowerMac.

ChicagoMac
Jan 17, 2003, 08:07 AM
I've had the same thought lately due to my experience editing video on the 17"imac in my office. The whole rendering process seems to be very slow. Would this be faster on a dual processor? My understanding is that only some software actually takes advantage of the dual processors. Also I've heard that the power macs don't really utilize the DDR ram very well. Price is the main issue right now since a display is not included, but if someone could shed some light on this it may make my decision easier. Please explain it in laymans terms. I understand a lot of things, but I'm a musician, not a computer engineer.;)