Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzy7slippers

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
I need to move a file from my friends computer to my computer. Whenever I try to move it, it tells me that the file has special permissions and it cant be moved. How do I get around this. All help is greatly appreciated.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Have your friend move it.

It means your friend's file is owned by him or something...can he move it to your computer instead of you trying to copy it? If it is owned by him, he should have no trouble to copy it. If not, try to make a disk-image of the file with disk copy (on his comp) and then copy it to your computer. Also, try to right-click on the file and choose view info, and change the permisions...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Haven't used OS X, but I know on the mac and pc you can enable a folder for sharing and give specific computers permission to access the folder. Then you just plop the filre you want to share in this folder and you can exchange files. I do this with digital images quite often, often in batches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.