Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.head.high

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
Los Angeles
Are any of you Pro Tools folks using a Quad Core Mac? And if so how's is it working out? And are you running the CS update?

I'm just curious because I wanted to get one, but because of my job I couldn't wait for Digidesign to update Pro Tools. I am really happy with my purchase, but I would like to know some real world Pro Tools differences if there any.

Just to note: I am running Pro Tools LE 7.0

Quantum Man

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2006
New York
Well if you're running LE then that means that your CPU will be handling all the RTAS and any other processing that needs to be done. I have an iMac G5 with a 1.9GHz G5 processor and 1.5GB RAM, I am able to run a session with about 20 tracks and lots of plug-ins without breaking a sweat. So your PowerMac 2.3 with 8GB RAM will be just fine running Pro Tools LE. I think the Quad would be overkill personally.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
One of my students has a Quad with LE, he's having processor issues with a firewire 800 drive attached, it seems that the external drive causes the processor to ramp up to about 75% with nothing happening, very odd. FW400 appears to be un-affected.

With a second internal drive there is no issue at all and the thing screams along. We've notified Digi UK about the problem and are hoping to try to replicate the effect on one of the other new quads when they arrive next week.

LE screams along on a quad otherwise.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Slight update, it appears to be a particular drive issue, my LaCie 250Gb triple interface drive works over FW800 without a flaw, the (I believe) Flashlight drive mentioned earlier is a very early FW800 which may be the problem.

Yes, this is with the CS2 update. (or whatever its called)...

mac.head.high

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
Los Angeles
Cool. Good to hear the rig is working with no issue.

Just to add: One other reason firewire drives will not work with certain Pro Tools, is the chip set the manufacturer uses in the firewire drive. I cant post the link, because Digidesign website is weird. But here goes:

FireWire Hard Drive Requirements with Pro Tools Systems on Mac OS X & OS 9

Pro Tools System Compatibility

FireWire 400 Hard Drives

The Avid MediaDrive rS80, DigiDrive FireWire 80, and third-party 7200 RPM FireWire 400 drives with the Oxford 911 chipset have been qualified for record and playback with the following Mac & Windows systems:

Pro Tools|HD Accel Systems (with Pro Tools 6.2 or higher)
Pro Tools|HD Systems (with Pro Tools 5.3.1 or higher)
Pro Tools|24 MIX Systems (with Pro Tools 5.1.1 or higher)
Pro Tools LE Systems (with Pro Tools 5.1.1 or higher)
Granite Digital Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger" Support Notice

Granite FireWire 400 ATA6 (larger than 120gigs) are now compatible with Tiger
You will need to download the software fix from Granite Digital
More information & Download from Granite Digital website
FireWire 800 Hard Drives

FireWire 800 drives with the Oxford 912 interface have been qualified for record and playback with the following systems on Mac OS 10.4:

Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel Systems (with Pro Tools 6.9.2 or higher)
Pro Tools LE Systems (with Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 or higher)
Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger" only (not tested on Mac OS 10.3 and earlier or Windows XP)
Please Note: Hard drives using the Oxford 912 interface have USB 2.0, FW400 and FW800 ports on them. Only the use of the FW800 port is supported on these drives with Pro Tools.
Up to 4 FireWire 800 daisy-chained drives supported when used without other FireWire drives
FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 drives should not be combined
FireWire Hard Drives - Maximum Performance

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork
Are any of you Pro Tools folks using a Quad Core Mac? And if so how's is it working out? And are you running the CS update?

I'm just curious because I wanted to get one, but because of my job I couldn't wait for Digidesign to update Pro Tools. I am really happy with my purchase, but I would like to know some real world Pro Tools differences if there any.

Just to note: I am running Pro Tools LE 7.0

Quad core mac uses Intel’s Xeon 3500 or 5500 quad-core processors, part of the new Nehalem family of microprocessors.The 2.66GHz quad-core Mac Pro posted faster speeds in Photoshop, Compressor, iMovie, iTunes, and 3-D game benchmarks than the previous standard eight-core Mac Pro. so it is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.