PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Keyboards

TheFallGuy
Feb 6, 2006, 01:39 AM
Hey everybody.

I need to get a new keyboard. I'd like to update to one of the new iMacs but the price is a little out of my range. Anyway, I'm doing a lot of typing on my PowerBook and I need something that's a little more ergonomic.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what brand or type is compatible or is "best"?

GoCubsGo
Feb 6, 2006, 01:47 AM
Up until about 20 minutes ago I had an apple corded keyboard. I loved it...until my apple wireless came and I was in heaven.
Logitech came out with a white one for a mac...check their site. I love logitech a lot.

jonparadise
Feb 6, 2006, 02:34 AM
I'm the reverse!

Had a Wireless keyboard for a while, it was okay, but a bit temperamental, and ended up losing the plot after one year of relatively light use.

So this time, got a USB keyboard, Can't quite believe how useful I'm finding the 2 USB ports on the back. I've got a Powerbook so they've come in very handy for my Music keyboard and Logic dongle.

weg
Feb 6, 2006, 03:42 AM
Hey everybody.

I need to get a new keyboard. I'd like to update to one of the new iMacs but the price is a little out of my range. Anyway, I'm doing a lot of typing on my PowerBook and I need something that's a little more ergonomic.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what brand or type is compatible or is "best"?

I'm using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite. Perfectly compatible with my Powerbook.

big
Feb 6, 2006, 05:33 AM
Apple Pro keyboard, great working, no problems for 2 years so far. One question, how can I open it and "clean" this mo-fo?

NeuronBasher
Feb 6, 2006, 06:57 AM
If you want ergonomic, I heartily recommend the Kinesis (http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/contoured_usb.htm) ergonomic keyboards. I've had two that I bought over 5 years ago that are still going as storng as the day I got them. They're a little pricey, but have completely relieved some wrist pain that I was having before I made the switch.

Sarvis
Feb 6, 2006, 08:24 AM
I've been using the Tactile Pro keyboard for the mac. It's quite loud, but otherwise it's the quickest and most comfortable keyboard I've used in many years.

mkrishnan
Feb 6, 2006, 08:27 AM
Up until about 20 minutes ago I had an apple corded keyboard. I loved it...until my apple wireless came and I was in heaven.
Logitech came out with a white one for a mac...check their site. I love logitech a lot.

I have been very happy with the Apple Wireless Keyboard as well. It has a very nice feel. The only ironic thing is that I got to the point, over two years, where I can type quickly and accurately on the iBook keyboard, and now I'm making errors on a real keyboard. ;)

Platform
Feb 6, 2006, 09:12 AM
I must say that the Apple Pro KB is great...I did not think it would be so good....I mean stock with the Mighty mouse....but it rocks ;)

big
Feb 6, 2006, 09:16 AM
I must say that the Apple Pro KB is great...I did not think it would be so good....I mean stock with the Mighty mouse....but it rocks ;)

Have you had a chance to open it to clean the keyboard? After a few years of travel, eating at the desk, and just general human interaction, there must be some way of getting all the gunk out from inside.

Platform
Feb 6, 2006, 09:34 AM
Have you had a chance to open it to clean the keyboard? After a few years of travel, eating at the desk, and just general human interaction, there must be some way of getting all the gunk out from inside.

No...but have not tried

I have not had it for two years, don't eat into my KB....eat but keep my food in my mouth...wash my hands etc = Clean and nice KB ;)

blackstone
Feb 6, 2006, 09:37 AM
I've been using the Tactile Pro keyboard for the mac. It's quite loud, but otherwise it's the quickest and most comfortable keyboard I've used in many years.

Another vote for the Tactile Pro here. It is really a wonderful keyboard.

TheFallGuy
Feb 6, 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the input.

The kinesis is beyond my price range, but are there any other ergonomic keyboards out there? Like I said I'm going to be doing a lot of typing and I'd like something a little more comfortable for my wrists. The ApplePro looks like a standard keyboard (built like a tank) I'll check that out.

Anybody use the Logitech® Cordless Comfort Duo™? I have a logitech mouse that I love, so I'm happy with their products. But does anybody have any comments on it?

Artful Dodger
Feb 6, 2006, 03:00 PM
I'm going to get this Logitech wireless: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E204LY/sr=1-10/qid=1139259425/ref=sr_1_10/103-3460554-3021452?%5Fencoding=UTF8 Should be nice as the 510 keyboard is almost the same and I've tried that one before.
Extra 5% off right now which is nice but only from Amazon.

TheFallGuy
Feb 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks. Amazon has a good price on the comfort duo. It seems like the mouse is junk, but I'm getting a keyboard - that's the important thing.

It looked like some mac people bought it and wrote good reviews about it. I'm curious about the apple key, if I'll be able to program that in there and if so, how.

If anybody knows, please let me know!!