PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Don "Jesus" Dwyer gets a front page spread in my local paper...

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 06:20 AM
Link (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2006/02_05-38/GOV)

Del. Don Dwyer: Patriot to believers, pariah to politicians
By DAVID ABRAMS, Staff Writer

By now, Del. Don Dwyer Jr. is used to being laughed at, scoffed at or dismissed as a fanatic. That wasn't the case four years ago, when he was a little-known conservative Republican and constitutional devotee running for office.

Two men in a pickup truck tried to run him down as he waved a campaign sign at an overpass over Route 10 in his home district of Glen Burnie. The truck narrowly missed him, but the passenger's beer bottle, intended for Mr. Dwyer's head, caught him in the shoulder.

Police never found the two men, and he's had three death threats since taking office but never reported them.

"God's got my back," Mr. Dwyer said. "I don't worry about it."

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 08:32 AM
So do you hate him because he's a Christian? If not, what point are you trying to make?

mactastic
Feb 6, 2006, 09:19 AM
He dislikes him because he is against equal rights. What was your point? That iGary hates Christians?

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'll let all of your posts speak for themselves.

miloblithe
Feb 6, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'll let all of your posts speak for themselves.

Actually, you seem to be trying to speak for our posts.

aquajet
Feb 6, 2006, 10:28 AM
So do you hate him because he's a Christian? If not, what point are you trying to make?

iGary started several threads on Dwyer. Browse through the forum and you'll see his point.

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

I dislike him because he pushes his own religious agenda versus sticking to the basic needs of this state. If he's a Christian, then I wouldn't want him being my spokesperson for the religion.

That and he wil fight for the rights of certain people of this state and not others. Sorry, he is supposed to represent all of his constituents.

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 10:37 AM
That's simply not the way the poitical system works. He declares his stances and it's up to the people to decided whether they will elect him or another to represent them. In this case they chose him. If they don't like what he's doing they'll replace him. If they do he'll continue in his work. If the people TRULY don't believe in what he's doing they're free to circulate a petition and if enough people sign it it can become an issue on the next ballot. Why don't you start one? That's within your rights to do and you'll be fighting for something you believe in.

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 10:50 AM
That's simply not the way the poitical system works.

In your world.

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 10:54 AM
Gary, take any 100 level college course on government and you'll understand it better. One hour investment, twice a week and you'll have more understanding of the society in which you live. It's not a bad deal.

miloblithe
Feb 6, 2006, 11:02 AM
You know, "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend," not snide remarks.

Ugg
Feb 6, 2006, 11:03 AM
That's simply not the way the poitical system works. He declares his stances and it's up to the people to decided whether they will elect him or another to represent them. In this case they chose him. If they don't like what he's doing they'll replace him. If they do he'll continue in his work. If the people TRULY don't believe in what he's doing they're free to circulate a petition and if enough people sign it it can become an issue on the next ballot. Why don't you start one? That's within your rights to do and you'll be fighting for something you believe in.

Politicians are to represent ALL the people within their district, not simply the ones who profess the same faith or the ones that elected him.

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 11:06 AM
Gary, take any 100 level college course on government and you'll understand it better. One hour investment, twice a week and you'll have more understanding of the society in which you live. It's not a bad deal.

Would you care to actually debate the point, or try to insult my intelligence?

By the way, snide remarks are the first sign you have no retort.

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-3377994-8091108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&dym=0&search-type=ss&index=stripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=american%20government&page=1

this is my retort. I'm trying to help you understand that you're wrong about your assertions and it's all in these books. Pick anyone you like.

By the way how exactly does one serve ALL of the people if there is such a thing as differing viewpoints? You can't support gay marriage and not at the same time. It's one or the other.

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 11:23 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-3377994-8091108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&dym=0&search-type=ss&index=stripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=american%20government&page=1

this is my retort. I'm trying to help you understand that you're wrong about your assertions and it's all in these books. Pick anyone you like.

By the way how exactly does one serve ALL of the people if there is such a thing as differing viewpoints? You can't support gay marriage and not at the same time. It's one or the other.

Welcome to ignoreland! :D

XNine
Feb 6, 2006, 12:29 PM

IT's not WHITE OR BLACK. This is where you're wrong. There si a fine Gray line that a politician should travel. Sure, he may not be for Gay marriage, but he should be TRYING to at least come to an ammicable solution for both parties, if nothing else.

Just because someone is a democrat doesn't mean they are for banning our constitutional right to bare arms, like a stereotypical dem. And just because someone is a republican doesn't make them a bible-humping everyone-else-is-wrong-finger-pointing freak. Grey areas my friend. Grey areas.

The point is that iGary, in his numerous threads has shined a spotlight on this guy's true motives, motives which he did not make clear until recently. His very.

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 01:22 PM
And what motives might those be Oni? What's more, how is it any different aside from the perspective I present than anything else on here?

skunk
Feb 6, 2006, 01:24 PM
And what motives might those be Oni? What's more, how is it any different aside from the perspective I present than anything else on here?Which post are you responding to? :confused:

silverback66
Feb 6, 2006, 01:37 PM
Which post are you responding to? :confused:

Look up from where my post is. See Onizuka there?

pseudobrit
Feb 6, 2006, 01:43 PM

What a ****ing troll.

Ever hear of the Constitution? It's got rules in it that overrule the representative majority rule. You're the one who needs to get an education. Or maybe just get your money back.

You just made my ignore list also. Life's too short to waste time with the likes of you.

skunk
Feb 6, 2006, 01:44 PM
Look up from where my post is. See Onizuka there?Your post makes little sense.

No change there, then...

zimv20
Feb 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
Or maybe just get your money back.

i love irony. the same guy who cried foul when his fellow students and teachers mocked him is now recommending that system.

and just for you, p'brit: steelers!!

pseudobrit
Feb 6, 2006, 01:52 PM
i love irony. the same guy who cried foul when his fellow students and teachers mocked him is now recommending that system.

and just for you, p'brit: steelers!!

Woooo!! Go Steelers!! Wooo! Yeahhh!! You think it's snowing like this in Seattle right now? **** no!! **** Seattle!!!

I lost my voice last night in the snow on Carson St. I was just starting to sober up. I've never seen so many people pumped up so much in one place before. Absolutely fantastic.

XNine
Feb 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
And what motives might those be Oni? What's more, how is it any different aside from the perspective I present than anything else on here?

His motives? To play the God's advocate and deny Gay marriage out right, because its what the bible tells him to do.

This very country was founded to escape religious oppression. Is this man not going against that very principle? Is he not forcing a religious view onto his people? I think so. And this is part of what iGary is trying to bring to our attention.

edit: DAMMIT! he's been banned, therefor my post is rendered limp! :(

Ugg
Feb 6, 2006, 03:08 PM
His motives? To play the God's advocate and deny Gay marriage out right, because its what the bible tells him to do.

This very country was founded to escape religious oppression. Is this man not going against that very principle? Is he not forcing a religious view onto his people? I think so. And this is part of what iGary is trying to bring to our attention.

edit: DAMMIT! he's been banned, therefor my post is rendered limp! :(

Yeah, it's pretty ironic when you think about it. Too bad more christian extremists refuse to study history.

He's sure good at getting banned, I wonder if it will be permanent this time. i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt the second time around but he obviously wasn't here for serious debate.

zelmo
Feb 6, 2006, 03:14 PM
Back OT...iGary, I thought you drove a Camry or some such. Didn't picture you as a pick-up kind of guy...:p

solvs
Feb 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
Take your own advice. Or maybe just listen in class next time. No offense, but you clearly have no understanding of the way this country is supposed to work. Not saying Mr. Dwyer and his ilk don't either, they're just trying to subvert the system.

On topic, though I think this guy is an asshat, I don't think it was ok for these fellas to do that. Even if they were straight, now he has more fuel to add to his fire of hate. Kinda like the whole cartoon thing the Danes published, or us responding to silver with rude comments I guess. Don't fan the flames kids.

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
Back OT...iGary, I thought you drove a Camry or some such. Didn't picture you as a pick-up kind of guy...:p

Naw, I drive a Honda Civic. :):o

Used to have a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins Turbodiesel, though, does that count? :p

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
Take your own advice. Or maybe just listen in class next time. No offense, but you clearly have no understanding of the way this country is supposed to work. Not saying Mr. Dwyer and his ilk don't either, they're just trying to subvert the system.

On topic, though I think this guy is an asshat, I don't think it was ok for these fellas to do that. Even if they were straight, now he has more fuel to add to his fire of hate. Kinda like the whole cartoon thing the Danes published, or us responding to silver with rude comments I guess. Don't fan the flames kids.

Well get this - the online version of the paper had "Uncommon Hero."

Give me a fracking break. I cancelled my subcription today.

solvs
Feb 6, 2006, 04:12 PM
"Uncommon Hero."
What they **** is that supposed to mean? From what I've read of the guy, he doesn't seem that good for anybody. How exactly is he a hero to anyone but people like silver?

Guess I just answered my own question. How much longer until he gets voted out of office? Or did he take money from Abrahmoff too? :p

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 04:14 PM
What they **** is that supposed to mean? From what I've read of the guy, he doesn't seem that good for anybody. How exactly is he a hero to anyone but people like silver?

Guess I just answered my own question. How much longer until he gets voted out of office? Or did he take money from Abrahmoff too? :p

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Too bad it is our only local paper, and I use it a lot for business leads etc. I'll just have to look at it online - I know they will make money from ads, but at least I won't be paying them.

He's running for re-election in the fall. God forbid.

solvs
Feb 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
He's running for re-election in the fall. God forbid.
I dunno. Remember what they did to those in PA who tried this stuff? None of those people have jobs anymore. God hasn't even struck them down or anything.

Anybody think he might be gay? Would explain the irrational hatred. Self hate?

emw
Feb 6, 2006, 04:23 PM
the passenger's beer bottle, intended for Mr. Dwyer's head, caught him in the shoulderSo if they never caught iGary in the act, how do they know it was aimed at his head? Probably just assuming you gay guys can't throw straight. :p

solvs
Feb 6, 2006, 04:24 PM
So if they never caught iGary in the act, how do they know it was aimed at his head?
Yeah, I mean, it could have been aimed at his crotch. Trying to stop him from further reproducing. :p

emw
Feb 6, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I mean, it could have been aimed at his crotch.
Ah, I had assumed the wrong head, apparently.

cslewis
Feb 6, 2006, 06:59 PM
because its what the bible tells him to do.

Because it's what he thinks the bible tells him to do. If he's a fundamentalist, I believe that the only thing the Bible says about homosexuality is that it's an 'abomination'. I don't really care about that, though, because following the Bible word-for-word is a pretty bad idea. There have been so many rewrites, translations, additions, and cut-outs on it throughout history that it's probably unrecognisable from it's original form.

Do you really think that the same Roman Catholic Church that hacked stone penises from statues in the Vatican to prevent thoughts of lust wouldn't add a few verses about the 'evils' of homosexuality if they weren't already there? :D

iGary
Feb 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
So if they never caught iGary in the act, how do they know it was aimed at his head? Probably just assuming you gay guys can't throw straight. :p

LMAO

*falls on floor laughing*

But hey, God's got his backô

pseudobrit
Feb 6, 2006, 07:13 PM
LMAO

*falls on floor laughing*

But hey, God's got his backô

Is that why he got hit in the shoulder? If God only has your back you still have to worry about what's in front of you.

XNine
Feb 6, 2006, 07:32 PM
Because it's what he thinks the bible tells him to do. If he's a fundamentalist, I believe that the only thing the Bible says about homosexuality is that it's an 'abomination'. I don't really care about that, though, because following the Bible word-for-word is a pretty bad idea. There have been so many rewrites, translations, additions, and cut-outs on it throughout history that it's probably unrecognisable from it's original form.

Do you really think that the same Roman Catholic Church that hacked stone penises from statues in the Vatican to prevent thoughts of lust wouldn't add a few verses about the 'evils' of homosexuality if they weren't already there? :D

Ah, touche.

solvs
Feb 6, 2006, 07:43 PM
I don't really care about that, though, because following the Bible word-for-word is a pretty bad idea.
Especially Leviticus. Even Jesus didn't follow that part. Sorry though, I'm afraid I'll have to stone you now for saying that.

skunk
Feb 6, 2006, 08:15 PM
Some of us have been stoned for years.

cslewis
Feb 6, 2006, 08:18 PM

Care to elaborate? :p

skunk
Feb 6, 2006, 08:20 PM
Care to elaborate? :pMy lips are pursed.

mactastic
Feb 6, 2006, 10:36 PM
Sheesh, I go to work and miss all the excitement...

iGary, I trust you saw that WaPo write up I posted in the other thread regarding Dwyer? That was a big hero-worship piece, but that one was national... Kinda sickening.

solvs
Feb 7, 2006, 12:24 AM
Why do I always feel like the straight man for you guys' jokes?

Er... no pun intended.

Mike Teezie
Feb 7, 2006, 01:05 AM

Jeez skunk, that one made me spit Chicken Tortilla soup all over my monitor.

:D

Oh, and Dwyer? Still an assclown. Pity iGary missed him with the truck!

solvs
Feb 7, 2006, 01:28 AM
Oh, and Dwyer? Still an assclown.
Asshat. ;) Clowns are funny.

Chundles
Feb 7, 2006, 07:22 AM
Asshat. ;) Clowns are funny.

No, clowns are scary.

And it's "Arseclown" as in "Roy and HG present the Arseclown of the week."

But that bloke would get my vote for Arseclown of the Month.

iGary
Feb 7, 2006, 07:39 AM
Sheesh, I go to work and miss all the excitement...

iGary, I trust you saw that WaPo write up I posted in the other thread regarding Dwyer? That was a big hero-worship piece, but that one was national... Kinda sickening.

Ooh, no I didn't see that - I'll go look. ;)

Roger1
Feb 7, 2006, 12:51 PM
Because it's what he thinks the bible tells him to do. If he's a fundamentalist, I believe that the only thing the Bible says about homosexuality is that it's an 'abomination'.

My version of the bible says that homosexuality is a sin, along the lines of murder. Or lying, for that matter (sin is sin).

It also says (to paraphrase): "Who am I to comment on the splinter in your eye, when I have a log in my own?"

Ugg
Feb 7, 2006, 12:56 PM
My version of the bible says that homosexuality is a sin, along the lines of murder. Or lying, for that matter (sin is sin).

It also says (to paraphrase): "Who am I to comment on the splinter is your eye, when I have a log in my own?"

So, all sins are created equal in the eye of your god?

Thank goodness we live in a secular society. If we were to live in a Christian one, lying would carry as much weight as murder and we would be unable to imprison people for their crimes because we can't judge one another only the christian god can.

Just more proof that religion and politics don't mix.

Roger1
Feb 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Just more proof that religion and politics don't mix.

I never said they did.

iGary
Feb 7, 2006, 01:18 PM

It also says (to paraphrase): "Who am I to comment on the splinter in your eye, when I have a log in my own?"

That's great, but he isn't there to push his religious ideologies, he's there to better the lives of his contituents and represent them effectively.

OK, everyone repreat after me: "Being a pickle smoker is a sin."

There, done.

Now back on topic.

mactastic
Feb 7, 2006, 08:21 PM
That's great, but he isn't there to push his religious ideologies, he's there to better the lives of his contituents and represent them effectively.

OK, everyone repreat after me: "Being a pickle smoker is a sin."

There, done.

Now back on topic.
"Devil, let go of your pickle!" -- Frank Zappa

yg17
Feb 7, 2006, 11:37 PM
My version of the bible says that homosexuality is a sin, along the lines of murder. Or lying, for that matter (sin is sin)

So, being gay is just as much of a sin as being a murderer? Reason #520385205150345982013045 why religion is stupid.

solvs
Feb 8, 2006, 04:56 AM
So, being gay is just as much of a sin as being a murderer? Reason #520385205150345982013045 why religion is stupid.
Everything is a sin. I'm probably sinning right now. We all are. That's why my sin is none of your business and yours is none of mine as long as they don't affect anyone else.

Religion isn't stupid, people are stupid. ;)

Chundles
Feb 8, 2006, 08:03 AM
Everything is a sin. I'm probably sinning right now. We all are. That's why my sin is none of your business and yours is none of mine as long as they don't affect anyone else.

Religion isn't stupid, people are stupid. ;)

People invented religion.

solvs
Feb 10, 2006, 12:17 AM
People invented religion.
Then you're following my line of reasoning. ;)

Sedulous
Feb 10, 2006, 08:03 PM
IT's not WHITE OR BLACK. This is where you're wrong. There si a fine Gray line that a politician should travel. Sure, he may not be for Gay marriage, but he should be TRYING to at least come to an ammicable solution for both parties, if nothing else.

... that and the fact that God doesn't write the laws here in the U.S.. Wasn't there a debate somewhere about Reason vs. Faith here recently? If someone could actually come up with a genuine reason for banning gay marriage then I would listen. Otherwise, "God thinks homos are disgusting" fails to sway my opinion. Dwyer is a POS.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 10, 2006, 09:55 PM

Just because someone is a democrat doesn't mean they are for banning our constitutional right to bare arms, like a stereotypical dem. And just because someone is a republican doesn't make them a bible-humping everyone-else-is-wrong-finger-pointing freak. Grey areas my friend. Grey areas.

The point is that iGary, in his numerous threads has shined a spotlight on this guy's true motives, motives which he did not make clear until recently. His very.

Amen!

Politicians are forgetting that they represent all people in their particular area. Rep. Davis, Sen. Allen, and Sen. Warner, all Republicans all in Virginia, have responded to various comments about Gay Rights, the war in Iraq, the USPA, healthcare, tax cuts for the wealthy and companies, and the such. Along the way they all responded "I don't feel that way" on whatever issue I brought up!

Never knew they were voted in to office to vote the way they feel. The shame is that as an electorate, we are too blind and stupid to look at their past voting - choosing to only vote for those that have the best attack ads.

Chundles
Feb 11, 2006, 02:43 AM
Then you're following my line of reasoning. ;)

They also invented gods. When everyone stops believing in gods, they no longer exist. No divine beings welcome in my apartment.