Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jocool5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Hi all,
today I have incountered a weird and obscure challenge and need some help. the network admin and I want to know what apps are installed on various imag g5's in an off campus location. Is there a program that will beable to help us out or dose any one know how to code a program that would beable to gain access to computer to run a script, and print a file back on to our computers.

I have full admin abilitied but the computers are 20 minn away and i dont want to deal with the driving and wrighting. Any help is good help.
Joe

funkytastic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2006
Do the machines have public IP addresses? If so, the easiest thing to do is probably to enable Remote Login under System Preferences/Sharing, then ssh to the machine in terminal and do

ls /Applications/

If they don't have public addresses, you'll have to approach the problem differently.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Why not just get a site license for A.R.D.? Once installed, your life will be a LOT easier. Installs packages too.

jocool5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Les Kern said:
Why not just get a site license for A.R.D.? Once installed, your life will be a LOT easier. Installs packages too.
O.K. well we have A.R.D. but it dosnt do what we wahnt it to do i think that is /applications thing is what we will be doing. with the A.R.D. we have the applications come back in wieid places and once it told us that the apps were in a switch(i dont know how that happened but the PC's on out network hate us).
thanks joe

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
login via ssh and run "find"

jocool5 said:
Hi all,///the network admin and I want to know what apps are installed on various imag g5's in an off campus location.

If you can log in remotly via ssh to those machines then looking at them is identical t looking at the machine on your desk. All you need to do is run "find" and have it look in the root directory and all of it's sub directories for files with execute permission set. The man page for "find" is pertty good. You will of course have to enable remote access via ssh and open the "ssh port" on any firewall(s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.