Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
...it might be 1x like the 15" powerbook.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140978

According to the thread starter:
When I was at macworld this is the question I was asking the Apple reps. I just got this today from apple:
"The datasheets and web info were wrong. The new 17" will also only burn at 1X. Product Marketing is working on correcting the web and data sheets."
I don't know how reliable this is, but it will make a lot of angry Apple customers if this turns out to be true. Not sure if this is new, but the specs on the webpage states:

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); writes DVD-R discs at 1x speed; reads DVDs at 8x speed; writes CD-R discs at 8x speed; writes CD-RW discs at 4x speed; reads CDs at 24x speed (15-inch and 17-inch models)

The specs in the pdf file and the main webpage for the 17" model still states 2x DVD-R...hope this stays true.

tompatros

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
Can you request NO SUPERDRIVE for 17"?

If the burn speed isn't up to snuff, can you ask Apple to put a Combo Drive instead? I don't really need a DVD burner at the moment, and I'd rather buy one down the road when speeds are higher and prices are cheaper. Pulling it from the 17" would drop the price by about $250 too...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You can not get a 17'' PowerBook without a SuperDrive... Which I think is a shame because the average consumer doesnt need a DVD-R, in my opinion, and ComboDrives burn CD-Rs significantly faster than SuperDrives.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
I would also like to burn at 2x, and of course the SuperDrive in my Dual 800 can. However, it is strongly suggested to burn DVDs at 1x because burning at 2x frequently causes errors and the DVD won't work. So, if you subscribe to that theory, as I do, then having a 1x SuperDrive in the PowerBook should be fine.

No need to make a collection of coasters...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.