PDA

View Full Version : 3 Speakers on the Powerbook 12"

hesdeadjim
Jan 17, 2003, 03:26 PM
I was looking at the Tech Specs on the new Powebooks today and I found it interesting that the 12 inch has a 3rd speaker for midrange enhancement. Here is a link and it's all the way at the bottom.

Link (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html)

I knew the speakers looked small, but it's just interesting that the 12" they needed a third one.

GeeYouEye
Jan 17, 2003, 03:39 PM
I didn't even realize there were speakers on the 12". I sure didn't see them on the demo models at MWSF. Where are they located on the machine?

hesdeadjim
Jan 17, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
I didn't even realize there were speakers on the 12". I sure didn't see them on the demo models at MWSF. Where are they located on the machine?

I guess at the top. If you look at the quicktime VR of it, you can see 2 or 3 small holes right at the joint of the display and the keyboard. Those holes look thiny for speakers though, but I guess since its an ultraportable, they figured ppl will be using headphones most of the time.

At that size, they need 2 or 3 extra just to get similar sound.

krohde
Jan 17, 2003, 08:12 PM
the 12" powerbooks have speakers that are located at the back. the sound is "bounced" of the screen back to the user and apparently this created some distortion in the midrange tones and therefore they have placed a 3rd speaker under the keyboard.

newmanium
Jan 18, 2003, 02:31 PM
I was able to see the PB 12 demoed at the Apple store near my house and the sound coming from it didn't sound nearly as loud as the ibook. Maybe it was just the noise from the store but i had to put my face near the screen to hear the music even with the sound at max level.