PDA

View Full Version : Dell laptop explodes, burns girl...


G4scott
Jan 17, 2003, 09:37 PM
http://iafrica.com/news/sa/3030.htm

wow... This is crazy... Kinda makes me nervous about my iBook, but then again, I trust Apple...

Independence
Jan 17, 2003, 09:41 PM
i got an old laptop sitting on my desk with a dead battery.

anyway, that's kinda freaky. kinda makes me feel glad im not the type to tap away at a laptop.

medea
Jan 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
wow that is horrible, I remember a while back hearing about a scientist whose dell latitude/inspireon (same thing I belive that the girl was using) laptop burnt his *****....

JupiterZen
Jan 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
http://iafrica.com/news/sa/3030.htm

wow... This is crazy... Kinda makes me nervous about my iBook, but then again, I trust Apple...

Me and my 2 collegues all got the same Compaq Armada E500 some 2 years back. And shortly after we recieved a notice to check the serialnumers of the batteries to check if they belonged to a "Explosive Hazardous" batch.

All three did ;)

But service was good and we each recieved 2 replacement batteries to make it up to us.

But the thought of it actually exploding ... Whoa!

alset
Jan 17, 2003, 10:14 PM
Reminds me of the old PowerBook 5300cs that was known to catch fire (among other problems). I had one, but I am happy to report that it never injured anything but my pride as a Mac user (what a piece of junk).

Dan

lmalave
Jan 18, 2003, 12:18 AM
Awww, man that sucks! I owned a Inspiron 5000, and its battery was recalled because it could catch fire (never heard of it exploding, though). I wonder if the Inspiron this girl had was the same model. I received a replacement battery from Dell through their recall program. I was supposed to return the old one but I foolishly kept it as an extra battery. My computer never blew up, though the display died after about 2 years.

Piece of crap Dell computers!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

scem0
Jan 18, 2003, 03:03 AM
At my old private elementary rich kid school, laptops were optional
and many students had them (including me). All of them were
Dells because we could get extra-good prices on them (Michael
Dell's duaghter goes to my old school). But there were a bunch
of people whose batteries started smoking, and that was a big
issue. It helped my case in the mac vs pc argument between my
friends and I ;).

Will Jones
Jan 18, 2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by medea
wow that is horrible, I remember a while back hearing about a scientist whose dell latitude/inspireon (same thing I belive that the girl was using) laptop burnt his *****....

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,5537967%255E24217,00.html

mymemory
Jan 18, 2003, 06:27 PM
It is a plug-in to avoid people checking pornos in my computer without my authorization.

Im sure the girl's father had the same soft in his computer and the girl was checking porn:D

medea
Jan 18, 2003, 07:10 PM
why in the world is a word like p-e-n-i-s stared out? is that offensive?

janey
Jan 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
have you ever fallen asleep on your bed with your iBook/TiBook/AluBook next to you? When you wake up (around 8 hours later) and you lift it off your bed (or more likely accidentally push it off) you can burn yourself. It happened to me once. Big mistake betting one of my friends that I could write a program in one night (hey at least i got a new 120gb hard drive!)

mymemory
Jan 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
You know I'm a VJ. Well, I was working one night in a club and some one split his drink on my Pismo. So, I took the keyboard off and the drink was already evaporized!!! the thing was so hot inside that is insane! I would say about 100 degrees celcius. Yo can really fried an egg with it.

G4scott
Jan 18, 2003, 11:57 PM
I didn't pay too close attention to the article, until a friend pointed out that she was looking for stuff about Macbeth, the play by Shakespeare. Well, I'm supposed to be reading Macbeth... coincidence or not? But I have an iBook, that sometimes gets hot (mainly when on my bed or a surface that doesn't allow airflow under it) and when it does, this tiny fan goes off like there's no tomorrow, and it can't be moving more than 1-2 cubic feet of air per minute...

You know, I haven't burnt myself on a laptop, but sometimes when my arm brushes against the button to open the screen, it feels like its hot, or electrocuting me... It's hard to explain. It just doesn't feel normal...

Goblin2099
Jan 19, 2003, 10:14 AM
To keep my 500mhz TiBook cool, I just put a piece of corrugated cardboard underneath it on my desk. I'm not gonna carry around the cardboard if I go into another room or bring it to bed with me, but it saves my desk and the fan hardly ever spins anymore.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 19, 2003, 10:21 AM
A friend of mine from work gave me his TiBook to clean up (his HD was a mess...). Nice computer - 667Mhz. The problem was that it left a footprint that was s-o-o-o-o-o hot on my desk - completely unlike anything that my (fanless) computer produces.

I had all new respect for my Cube after that...

:)

medea
Jan 19, 2003, 05:21 PM
without being able to "breathe" properly any electronic device will get hot, if you have the laptop actually on your lap and are blocking the vents then obviously it will overheat.....and with the case of the scientist how could you not be aware that the damn notebook was getting hot enough to burn you through your pants? Maybe he wasnt very active down there....