Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I would love to hear others opinions in the Graphics community about what you use as far as Font Management. This seems to be an area in software where not one piece of software has been declared the de-facto of Font Management. I work in a small studio and everybody uses something different. We have "Extensis Suitcase", "Font Agent Pro" and "Linotype FontExplorer X". So far, "Linotype FontExplorer X" is the latest edition and everyone seems to like it. "Extensis Suitcase" seems to have the most conflicts overall. What is your take and/or recommendation?

~e

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
There's lot's of threads on this already... ;)

Though personally I use Extensis Suitcase, and I've always found it to be bulletproof, with no conflicts, though I'm generally well organised in that respect anyway, that said I'm currently sorting, organising and repairing all my fonts at the moment. Which initially was in the 9-10,000 region, but according to current stats comes in at 15,000 typefaces and 25,000 fonts after Christmas and new clients :D and Suitcase handles them with no problems, unlike Fontbook. heh.

I did try FontExplorer X, but that really shagged my system up to the point where Office wouldn't work and it had trouble reading some fonts that Suitcase didn't... that and every other font needed repair. :rolleyes:

Adobe really should bring back ATM Deluxe, because I'd migrate back to that in a jiffy. ;)

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Count another vote for FontExplorerX. I use it on my machine at home and all my machines at work. I haven't had any trouble at all with it (yet!). I highly recommend it, even if it is still technically beta software.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
iGav said:
Adobe really should bring back ATM Deluxe, because I'd migrate back to that in a jiffy. ;)

Same here, I'm lost to why Adobe stopped making it.

Suitcase is much better these days than the OS9 days and eariler OS versions. After 15 years they finally have a program that's useable, but not perfect. It seems that the people at Extensis get the programs up to about 90% and then stop short on a lot of small workflow details. It's almost like they don't use their own products on a day to day basis. ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
ATD said:
Same here, I'm lost to why Adobe stopped making it.

One of lifes mysteries... I remember when OS X was launched and Adobe announced it'd die at the same time. Still makes no sense.

ATD said:
Suitcase is much better these days than the OS9 days and eariler OS versions. After 15 years they finally have a program that's useable, but not perfect. It seems that the people at Extensis get the programs up to about 90% and then stop short on a lot of small workflow details. It's almost like they don't use their own products on a day to day basis. ;)

Suitcase is a strange thing, for me it's pretty much perfect, stable and bulletproof as can be expected, but I know people that have nothing but issues with it.

It's a rare... year... when I do a print project :p, so it's probably something to do with that... *shrugs* no idea really.

I tried FontExplorer X on the day it was launched, loved the way it looked, liked it's features, but as soon as I loaded it up with fonts... nightmare. :eek:

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
I use FontAgent Pro, and like its features. For a while, Suitcase was buggy, and I was still pissed off at Extensis for buying and "killing" Font Reserve. No, they didn't outright stop selling it, they just stopped updating it. I couldn't wait any longer, so I tried Font Agent Pro, and it was a little quirky at first, but the new version seems to be solid. It stays in the background and does what it needs to do.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I use Suitcase on my personal gear and Font Reserve at work. After having some serious database problems wit FR I called Extensis to find out the status of updates. The rep I spoke with said that they are in the process of combining FR and Suitcase and will have a "whole new font management package out later this year." Intel-optimized no doubt.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I had thought the same thing but the Extensis rep. seemed to think this is a stopgap on the road to an Intel-optimized OS

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
We've been using suitcase since the switch to X. I really haven't had many problems until just lately- My auto-activation is pretty much just not working anymore. (Anybody have any idea why?)

steebu

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
FontExplorer X is excellent. I had some early troubles with the system fonts -most notably Arial - but got it all sorted out. I have 6266 fonts now and it handles them all like a champ. And its FREE!

L

Lau

I've been using Font Explorer X and have found it great. I am only using it to manage 1790 typefaces (as opposed to iGavs 15,000!) so that could be why.

How many typefaces or fonts are you looking to manage?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Yeah.. i'm in the 6000 range myself.

Here's a question that usually gets mixed responses.

I have a font folder with all my fonts separted into the proper typehouses. Now, I found some people just create sets and then drag what they need into Suitcase or what ever you use and then others copy ALL the folders into Suitcase and then just activate what they need from there. I personally do the later. Any thoughts?

~e

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
eclipse525 said:
others copy ALL the folders into Suitcase and then just activate what they need from there.

That's how I do it. ;) I have all my fonts installed so that my workflow isn't as likely to be affected when working client side.

Lau said:
I've been using Font Explorer X and have found it great. I am only using it to manage 1790 typefaces (as opposed to iGavs 15,000!) so that could be why.

I don't think it's really anything to do with the volume of fonts, I don't really have that many fonts, (it's relative of course) I know people that have 10x the amount I do and they use FontExplorer X.

The problem I've encountered is that it screwed up Office, and frequently fails to view or even import certain fonts because it says they're damaged, yet Suitcase... just works. For me atleast. :)

Linotype are a pukka company, and they WILL get it right, but it's too risky using beta software in a professional environment. Especially one that can **** up your system. :p

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
I just started using Suitcase Fusion. I expect it to do very well. Extensis does not seem to have an expansive beta program nor seek input from customers as a few features that I thought would be included are not. So far so good.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
electronboy said:
I just started using Suitcase Fusion. I expect it to do very well. Extensis does not seem to have an expansive beta program nor seek input from customers as a few features that I thought would be included are not. So far so good.

It sounds good. I've been waiting to find out if it works well. I've been using Extensis Portfolio and haven't been pleased and wasn't sure whether Extensis really wanted customers or not from what I've seen of their software plus their attitude toward problems.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
iGav said:
I don't really have that many fonts, (it's relative of course) I know people that have 10x the amount I do and they use FontExplorer X.

That's in the 100,000s, I thought my 12,000 was a lot! :D

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Another one using Font Explorer X here. I like this program very much, as it runs stable, has many features AND is free :) . In the first week of january I upgraded the computers at the agency where I'm freelancing to 10.4. and we now use it there too. No problems so far and the other designers there were very impressed when I showed them this amazing program. I also think the idea of the iTunes "inspired" integrated font store is pretty good, as it gives a new impulse tho the whole font buying thing.

Before that I used Font Reserve for a long time. While handling was ok it was very slow. Never liked Suitcase, but I've only tried it under 10.2. Might well be the newer version is better but for now I'm happy with Font Explorer X.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Long time suitcase user here. However I really got fed up with that program. It's so clunky and slow. I moved to font agent pro for a bit and that was a little better (though not by much) and finally hit font management nirvana when I discovered FontExplorerX. I haven't had a single problem with it and it runs beautifully (looks great too).

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
ATD said:
That's in the 100,000s, I thought my 12,000 was a lot! :D

Yep... :eek: at the company I used to work for, we did the original Font Shop website with ecommerce... which probably goes some way to explaining it. heh. :p

I keep as many as is feasible so that when working client side, the chances are is that I'll have the required typeface, and that way it doesn't slow my workflow down having to chase stuff up.

I own many of them, some are free and others clients own that I don't have licenses to use outside of a particular client.

They just need organising properly really. I need a chump, I mean intern to sort it all out for me.... in the name of experience of course. heh.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
radiantm3 said:
finally hit font management nirvana when I discovered FontExplorerX. I haven't had a single problem with it and it runs beautifully (looks great too).

Does "Linotype Font Explorer" open up fonts globally as needed like with Suitcase. I know Suitcase installs an "Xtension" for this function. Reason being, I deal with so many documents and I need the fonts used in those documents to open up automatically. I just installed "Font Explorer" and I can't seem to locate this function, if it even exists at all.

Thanks!

~e

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
My office just made the switch to Suitcase Fusion this wek after using Font Reserve forever. 2 things right off the bat that are driving me nuts.

1. The fonts in Safari, Firefox and Mail are all screwed up now. I have to figure out what is conflicting with the system fonts.

2. When saving some Illustrator files I can't convert some fonts to outlines or save with a preview because of "licensing" issues. Font Reserve never checked or alerted to unlicensed fonts. This is especially frustraing due to the fact that most of these errors are with fonts that come with client-supplied artwork.

Anyone know any work-arounds to these issues?

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
aricher said:
My office just made the switch to Suitcase Fusion this wek after using Font Reserve forever. 2 things right off the bat that are driving me nuts.

1. The fonts in Safari, Firefox and Mail are all screwed up now. I have to figure out what is conflicting with the system fonts.

2. When saving some Illustrator files I can't convert some fonts to outlines or save with a preview because of "licensing" issues. Font Reserve never checked or alerted to unlicensed fonts. This is especially frustraing due to the fact that most of these errors are with fonts that come with client-supplied artwork.

Anyone know any work-arounds to these issues?

There might be a conflict with the system fonts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.