Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
So I have a chance to get an older version Powerbook 15" for a good price. Or for $100 more, I can get the current one that Apple offers. The rep told me the differences were better battery life, higher resolution screen, more video RAM in the graphics card, and from my own checking, I think there's higher speed RAM. Anyways, what do you all think, is it worth an extra $100? I'm a college student, so money is important. But I'm more than willing to pay if you all here think it's worth it to get the newer model.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
If it is only $100 more than the first one isn't that great of a deal. I would go for the newer model. The better screen and battery life is what would sell me on an extra $100.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
See that's what I thought. The older one is on "clearance" and yet only $100 less. To me, I care about money, but again if it's worth the $100, I'll do it.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Well I was leaning towrads the $100...now I read about the Apple Display issues with the lines....I guess if I buy one, I'll talk to the reps and make sure there are no issues there.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The line issue would prevent me from getting a highres version, but apparently the line issue is finally being fixed, at least for some people, who send in their highres powerbooks to get repaired. So with that in mind, I'd go with the newer one if I were you.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I definitely want the newer one, but the idea that I buy a NEW laptop and then have to get it fixed is rediculous. Obviously I will charge it to protect myself, but I can't imagine I'm the only one thinking that. I just don't want to have to deal with it if I buy it new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.