PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pro Speakers with soundsticks??

noelmac75
Jan 18, 2003, 08:06 AM
I'am thinking of purchasig the new imac when it gets updated, though I'am just curious if the soundsticks and isub will work with the pro speakers if you plug them in together, one will block out the other?

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 18, 2003, 08:27 AM
Currently, the computer can only control one set of USB-powered speakers - so therefore, no, sorry.

Once you've used the Soundsticks, though, you'll think twice about putting the pro speakers on. The sound's that great. Honest.

;)

Macpoops
Jan 18, 2003, 10:13 AM
I thought the pro speakers were connected via the digital audio out not usb. So i dont see why it couldn't be done. then again i don't see why you would need, want to

MacBandit
Jan 18, 2003, 10:36 AM
Pro speakers suck. i bought a pair and the worst part about them is that the pair I had had unequal midrange performance. Granted it takes a better then average ear to hear it but once you do you don't want them anymore. I quickly returned them and exchanged them for a new mouse. I continue to use my 5 year old Atlantic Tech spearkers and sub. Since I've owned a pair of pro speakers, wherever I see them I take a moment to listen to them closely. To this day i have not found a pair that performed equally and had smooth transitions through the frequency range.

senseibiz
Jan 18, 2003, 11:15 AM
I have an 17 " imac and both the pro speakers and my soundsticks are connected.The only way you can use both is in your sound system prefrences. Regular sound to your soundsticks and your sound effects like the alert sounds can come out in the pro speakers. but no you can not use them both at the same time.

I had the same queation before I purchased the imac.
hope this helps.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 19, 2003, 07:13 AM
Why not try looking into the Griffin PowerWave audio unit (www.griffintechnology.com)?

I think you might be able to connect more than one type of speaker via that system. It plugs into a USB port on the computer, showing up on the System as only 1 USB device. Therefore, you might be able to get away with it. Price, approx. $99...

senseibiz
Jan 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Wow , Thanks for the info Kiwi, I might just go get one. I will email griffintech,
and ask just to make sure.

Sensei

MacAztec
Jan 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
The best pair of speakers I have EVER owned are my Logitechs.

They are the low end model. They sound GREAT!

My brother spent 200 dollars on the Sound Sticks/Sub and then heard my speakers. He returned his sound sticks, got the logitechs, and saved 150 dollars.