PDA

View Full Version : Recent Apple Patents Being Demonstrated

MacBytes
Feb 8, 2006, 08:30 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Recent Apple Patents Being Demonstrated (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060208093008)
Description:: This video, although not directly linked to Apple, clearly shows some of the patented techniques that were revealed last week.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Feb 8, 2006, 08:33 AM
Uh... I'll take two, please. That is pretty slick. Not sure how much of a proof of concept it is for the patent (although it does seem to follow what the patent was talking about) but regardless it's rather incredible to see how this might work.

the page at http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/ explains it a bit more than the worldofapple article, and I would have initially linked directly to it, but the WOA page loaded a LOT faster.

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 08:38 AM
WOW.

Is that a Dock at the top of the screen when he's focusing in on Boston?

iGav
Feb 8, 2006, 08:43 AM
Looks amazing :) as a designer, the whole physical interaction and manipulation process is something that I miss deeply when working digitally. :(

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 8, 2006, 09:06 AM
I have no idea how that video is apple related. i have no idea what its for. But... IT'S PRETTY DAMN COOL!

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 09:09 AM
I have no idea how that video is apple related.

The patent for the touchscreen and interaction UI is submited/owned by Apple Computer Inc.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 8, 2006, 09:10 AM
The patent for the touchscreen and interaction UI is submited/owned by Apple Computer Inc.
So, is this group devolping it for them? I'm confused. It was submited by apple. but this video isnt from Apple. Hence my confusion.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
I couldnt really tell. it looked "dock-like" but I'm not sure. IT seemed like a part of the program they were using.

iMeowbot
Feb 8, 2006, 09:12 AM
Jefferson Han has a patent application (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20050068537.PGNR.&OS=DN/20050068537&RS=DN/20050068537) of his own for this technology. This is not the Apple stuff.

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 09:13 AM
So, is this group devolping it for them? I'm confused. It was submited by apple. but this video isnt from Apple. Hence my confusion.

Well, Apple holds a buncha patents for a buncha things that have never made it into a computer.

I think in this case, we might be seeing an flash of the future of interactive computing. And though Apple may not be who brings it to us, anyone who does might have to pay $ to Apple for the rights to the patent if it's anything along the lines of what we're seeing.

dcv
Feb 8, 2006, 09:16 AM
That's incredible. I too noticed the 'dock-like' thing at the top of the screen.

iWant!

nagromme
Feb 8, 2006, 09:18 AM
That's a big tablet! :D

Now, just to be clear, this video is nothing to do with Apple, right? I can't get the source page to load (bogged down).

It does show some things like the pinch-zoom seen in Apple patents, but that could just be coincidence I assume.

FWIW, that font appears to be Gill Sans, not Lucida Grande :)

(EDIT: does that World of Apple site have a 158k favicon... that doesn't appear in Safari?)

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 09:19 AM
I guess it could have just been a toolbar for whatever app he/she was using at the time. But it sure looked Dock-like.

Sdashiki
Feb 8, 2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, how much is that LCD screen and touchscreen overlay (imbedded?)

thats the real neat thing to me. make that affordable, the interface comes.

joepunk
Feb 8, 2006, 09:39 AM
Want one, want one of those badly :D

iMeowbot
Feb 8, 2006, 09:41 AM
That's one of the neat parts of this technology, there is no overlay. It's all done using a single conventional camera.

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 09:51 AM
A single camera?? WOW. How does it deal with the possibility of it's view being blocked by hamhands and whatnot, I wonder?

iMeowbot
Feb 8, 2006, 09:57 AM
A single camera?? WOW. How does it deal with the possibility of it's view being blocked by hamhands and whatnot, I wonder?
From behind with a beam splitter, just like a microscope. That seems to be the magic, comparing the original image with the reflection of the projected image modified by fingers.

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 10:02 AM
That's incredible. I truely hope this type of interaction becomes available for use in my lifetime (at an affordable price).
Of coruse, then I might actually have to learn how to type properly. NoOOOOoOOOooooooOOooooo........!!

shamino
Feb 8, 2006, 10:04 AM
I can't get the source page to load (bogged down).
Below is the text of the first page. Hopefully that will help.
No LCD. It's a rear-projection display. With a camera on the back-side of the surface to detect pressure from fingers.
While touch sensing is commonplace for single points of contact, multi-touch sensing enables a user to interact with a system with more than one finger at a time, as in chording and bi-manual operations. Such sensing devices are inherently also able to accommodate multiple users simultaneously, which is especially useful for larger interaction scenarios such as interactive walls and tabletops.
Since developing the FTIR (frustrated total internal reflection) (http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirsense/) technique, we've been experimenting with a wide variety of application scenarios and interaction modalities that utilize multi-touch input information. These are far more interesting than the typical poking-of-the-touchscreen or the gross silhouette gesturing found in most interactive installations of this scale. It is a rich area for research, and we are extremely excited by its potential.

The sensing technology is force-sensing, and provides unprecedented resolution and scalability, allowing us to create sophisticated multi-point widgets for applications large enough to accomodate both hands and multiple users.

The drafting table style implementation shown here measures 36"x27", is rear-projected, and has a sensing resolution of ~0.1" at 50Hz. Applications receive events and stroke information using the lightweight OSC protocol over UDP.

Up Next:
We'll be working with other, more interesting form factors (both larger and smaller). Wouldn't it also be nice to identify which finger is associated with each contact?

nagromme
Feb 8, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the text.

I'm seeing a lot of fun things, and some really useful ones (like the zooming and panning) too.

I also just realized that even the mirrored video won't fully load. I'll try at a lower-traffic time to view the ending!

Sdashiki
Feb 8, 2006, 10:32 AM
so the way it is basically makes it for Starship Enterprise stand in front of and use fingers on it kind of thing, and not a portable device?

nagromme
Feb 8, 2006, 10:49 AM
With a different method of detecting your fingers, it could be portable. Apple's patents show portable devices, and laptop trackpads can already detect multiple contact points in a limited way.

Peace
Feb 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
That's simply amazing!!

I can't help but wonder how often one would have to clean it though.
And the cost..

mdavey
Feb 8, 2006, 11:06 AM

You would only need to clean it regularly if you were touching it with your bare hands (sweat and greese) . Perhaps in the future (just like in the past) we'll all be required to wear white gloves when using the computer ;)

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 11:14 AM
That's simply amazing!!

And the cost..

LOL I thought the same thing.. well more along the lines of:

If you get your grubby fried chicken fingers on my precious, I'll Dock you!

nagromme
Feb 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
That's simply amazing!!

And the cost..
The Griffin iSqueegee would be out within minutes, and a dozen companies that make wipes would suddenly rename them, put fewer in a box, double the price, and make a mint.

yellow
Feb 8, 2006, 12:18 PM
LOL! Good one, N!

vniow
Feb 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
Oh. :eek: My. :eek: Gawd. :eek:

neoelectronaut
Feb 8, 2006, 01:50 PM
This video has reminded me that I have yet to pick up the Animatrix OST.

kenaustus
Feb 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
Now if someone can email the link to Steve Jobs . . .

shamino
Feb 8, 2006, 03:34 PM
I'm seeing a lot of fun things, and some really useful ones (like the zooming and panning) too.
I noticed this too. I've been a fan of zoomable user interfaces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooming_user_interface) ever since I read about them in The Humane Interface (http://jef.raskincenter.org/humane_interface/index.html).

This system, using two fingers to pan, zoom and rotate objects is the most intuitive implementation of a ZUI I've ever seen. Far better than those that use zoom-in and zoom-out buttons on a keyboard or mouse.

I'd love to see Mac apps use something like this. The zoom-based light-table looks like a killer-app if incorporated into something with powerful image manipulation code (like Aperture or Photoshop). I could see similar uses in other productivity apps, the Finder and maybe even iTunes.

oddfuzz
Feb 8, 2006, 06:10 PM
This video just blew me away. This is exactly how I've been using my computer in my dreams but just didn't know it yet. I mean really, wow! Giant 30inch screen; no mouse just 10 fingers. I could go on and on, but I won't. I just wanted to comment on how it's interesting to note how this is kind of in the complete oppesite dirrection of how I thought computers would be going. With media center computers gaining a bit of popularity and reciently seeing xbox 360 do things much like Front Row, I could see it all in my head: The computer turning into something you use from your couch. But now with this video, which is far more impressive than anything you could do with these "couch computers," it seems perhaps the computer will transform into a larger hands on machine.

monke
Feb 8, 2006, 07:09 PM
Look out 4 button Mighty Mouse, here comes the new 10 button (iSomething)!

The lava lamp part is awesome :)

Uma888
Feb 8, 2006, 07:34 PM
OMFG

This Demo is AWESOME!!!

It has endless scope and could change the way we interact with nearly everything.

I particularly like the photo resizing and arrangement bit, imagine iPhoto with that sort of integration, this could also work with RTS games.

The mixing deck and the music studio blew me away.

Is it me or was google earth just being demostrated? (with a hint of the dock; aligned at the top ( Notice NO menu bar)

reminds me of Minority Report :eek:

ITASOR
Feb 8, 2006, 08:00 PM
WOW.

Yes, he even clicks on it. This is totally awesome.

kalisphoenix
Feb 8, 2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but that's probably not OS X. The application demo'd in that scene with the zooming map mountain stuff is apparently NASA's "World Wind," of which there is no OS X version.

This does seem to work with a previous patent for cameras hiding behind LCD pixels that baffled us all. You use that to track finger movements, and the more recent application for the actual interface usage.

Oh yeah, and Apple would castrate anyone who put a public video up :)

maya
Feb 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
Actually it follow a lot with what Apple is doing with its current OS.

Look at iPhoto, etc..and you will see that the tool bar to edit colour, etc... is semi-transparent and not a real window/pallet.

Look at Expose, it uses widgets. Maybe the dock has widgets and the OS and applications are seem-less in its input/ouput along with multiple input/output paths. It looks cool, a Digital Photo Table. :)

sjk
Feb 9, 2006, 07:41 PM
Such sensing devices are inherently also able to accommodate multiple users simultaneously, which is especially useful for larger interaction scenarios such as interactive walls and tabletops.(emphasis added)

There's something kinky-sounding about that ...

solvs
Feb 9, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but that's probably not OS X.
It's not. Just a demo of similar tech. Cool, but I wonder what Apple's will look like (provided they actually use it in something soon). Maybe it'll be used in some kind of smart phone, like with the Treos (only not sucky).

kalisphoenix
Feb 11, 2006, 01:17 AM
And then there's http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/54/touch-sensitive-ipod/

If that doesn't spell out "Mac Tablet," I don't know what does.

Finally, after years of waiting for an AppleTab, I am vindicated. They're *at least* thinking about it, and have been for some time *points at the outdated iTunes interface*

Orlando Furioso
Feb 11, 2006, 11:30 AM
mmmmm, that screen is delicious.

MrCommunistGen
Feb 11, 2006, 12:22 PM
This video has reminded me that I have yet to pick up the Animatrix OST.

I KNEW I had heard that music somewhere! :p

This technology is pretty neat. Would go well with something I thought of before: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2055078#post2055078

-mcg

zete
Feb 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
There are two reasons that this must be XP plus .NET:

the lava lamp demo is done based on a lava lamp screen saver by one of the authors.
NASA World Wind is a C# application leveraging .NET

The NYU site also says it runs on a 2GHz P4, which excludes OS X -- unless they're running a pirated version. But considering the two points above, it's obviously Windows.

Bubble burst, as a previous poster said. But cool, none the less!

ps: Here are the specs for World Wind. (https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=365205)

kalisphoenix
Feb 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
This does seem to work with a previous patent for cameras hiding behind LCD pixels that baffled us all. You use that to track finger movements, and the more recent application for the actual interface usage.

Brilliant work 8)

marcogretzky
Jan 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
The Griffin iSqueegee would be out within minutes, and a dozen companies that make wipes would suddenly rename them, put fewer in a box, double the price, and make a mint.

ummm... dude, looks like someone beat them to it! :-)

http://i-squeegee.com/

SiliconAddict
Jan 14, 2007, 01:16 AM
*wets himself with technolust*

I seriously question if multi-touch will hold up in court. I's about as innovation as Creative's patent on their way of browsing files.
Of course people are going to use two hands\fingers to do things. We do this in the real world all the time. As an example drawing a line with a ruler or click and dragging something with a mouse. The concept is using multiple actions to accomplish a single goal which isn't something revolutionary. Its just something that, AFAIK, no one has implemented. That isn't to say I'm not slapping Apple on the back for implementing it. But patenting it? Gah... May as well patent breathing.

PS- Mad props to the creators of the video for using music from the Animatrix. :D

PPS- Does anyone else now see a killer app for tablets?