PDA

View Full Version : Yao dunks Shaq, Rockets slip past Lakers

peter2002
Jan 18, 2003, 11:47 AM
HOUSTON -- It was a sight, Shaquille O'Neal a head shorter than the man he defended, stooping to gather basketballs that had been swatted from his fingertips, straining to find the way over or around another man.

Not outplayed. Just pushed.

When his first four shots were blocked, three of them by 7-foot-5 Yao Ming, it was O'Neal who took the expression of a man who knew then that he was in a fight.

And when O'Neal backed into Yao, "boom-boom" first, he said, it was Yao who leaned over and draped himself on O'Neal's shoulders, a human cape for Superman, into overtime, where the Houston Rockets eventually defeated the Lakers, 108-104, Friday night at Compaq Center.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers18jan18,0,5222087.story?coll=la%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

lmalave
Jan 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
I watched the game - the first 5 minutes were unbelievable. Yao Ming blocked Shaq's first 3 shots, and then went right back and converted on baskets for 6 points. Eventually reality set in, however, and Yao finished with 10 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 blocks, while Shaq finished with 31 points and 13 rebounds. The final stats don't really tell the story, though - this was a battle all the way. Without Yao in there, the Rockets would have been overpowered and blown out by the Lakers.

I can't wait 'til Yao gets an offseason of training and putting on some weight. Unfortunately, Yao didn't even start the season with the Rockets because they were still negotiating with the Chinese government. This summer I would expect him to put on at least 30 pounds and work on the weaknesses that opponents have been exploiting (slightly slow release on jump shot, lack of lateral mobility, etc.). By next season, Yao will be a monster! I expect averages of nothing less than 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks next year.

topicolo
Jan 18, 2003, 09:17 PM
Shaq's @$$ will be Yao's next season. He needs a few lessons in manners and Yao's gonna shut his racist comments up.

janey
Jan 18, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yao rules! Dude, he did an ad for Apple-that everyone loves!

Just imagine: Microsoft gets Shaq to do an ad for them!

I think you're a great basketball player Shaq but you need to start using a Mac. :D

lmalave
Jan 18, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
Yao rules! Dude, he did an ad for Apple-that everyone loves!

Just imagine: Microsoft gets Shaq to do an ad for them!

I think you're a great basketball player Shaq but you need to start using a Mac. :D

mcrain
Jan 18, 2003, 11:55 PM
Why is Bill Gates fondling Shaq???:o

MacQuest
Jan 19, 2003, 04:56 AM
Ubergeek-

I had heard a while ago that Shaq IS somewhat pro-Apple...

He apparently gave, and I believe, required everyone around him to have an iPod.

Whoever has a link to this article, please post it, as I am jusy a "newbie"...

Any other insight, positive or negative, is greatly appreciated.:)

ear2ear
Jan 19, 2003, 06:11 AM
Shaq sent of couple other Lakers (can't remember who) out to the Apple store to buy iPods. An ESPN camera crew followed along. Shaq was apparently spotted at past Macworld expos too.

Edit: I found the link here:
http://asp.cis.pitt.edu/mov/Lakers.mov

lmalave
Jan 19, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ear2ear
Shaq sent of couple other Lakers (can't remember who) out to the Apple store to buy iPods. An ESPN camera crew followed along. Shaq was apparently spotted at past Macworld expos too.

Edit: I found the link here:
http://asp.cis.pitt.edu/mov/Lakers.mov

Hilarious! How does Apple do it? They have Hollywood and the music biz in their back pocket, now they're working on the professional athletes.

macmax
Jan 19, 2003, 09:50 AM
Even thou David Stern and the oficcials handed last year's championship to the lakers,because everyone knows who really won, and i am not a king's fan, at least the big fella is doing something good, he likes macs.

zulgand04
Jan 19, 2003, 08:18 PM
now if only Apple could get shaq to do a ipod comercial, then the sales would go through the roof.

PS. im not a lakers fan

MacQuest
Jan 19, 2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the validation and post ear2ear.
:)

UnixMac
Jan 20, 2003, 11:41 AM
Don't count the Nets out yet....

I predict a Dallas v. Nets championship, with a Nets upset....

wait and see...