Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
That is hideous. You would think that since Apple has had an elegant all-in-one-dispay-iMac out since October of 2004 that Sony would be able to "borrow" some design and come up with something that is at least bearable to look at.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Oh my, I really would expect much more from Sony. Their VAIO designs are normally really nice. WTF, did they get some intern monkey to design this thing? :confused:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
a 20" screen for 1500 dollars that's integrated into the computer in such a horrible way. no thanks. The thing looks like a TV at a bad motel with the VCR attached to it.

I'm thinking people who have 1500 bucks to spend will go a different route. I really don't see this selling very well.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It reminds me of this computer from Dell;
Picture 1.png Picture 2.png

I'm not sure which one is worse...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
:eek: What the heck was that.

The sony model looks like a cross between a sewing machine and a polaroid camera ... and then they put an LCD on top.

strider42 said:
a 20" screen for 1500 dollars that's integrated into the computer in such a horrible way. no thanks.
£1500 no less. That's $2640.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Daveway said:
Its the same thing.;)
It does look a lot better when you look at it from the front. It's still not a piece of beauty, but at least it doesn't give new meanings to the word ugly from that angle.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
clayj said:
Maybe it's just the pictures are better. ;)

But the Japanese one I linked to is a VA-2, while the one posted here is a VA-1. There must be SOME difference between them.
One looks more widescreen than the other.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I just don't get it...
If Apple can make an all-in-one less than 2 inches thick, then any company could, so why do they come out with things like these that a just painful to look at? :confused:

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Seriously... WTF?

I'm sure there are good designers at sony. Their MP3 players, while being behind the times, are decent looking. Their LCD TVs are nice looking. Their laptops are snazzy.

That is easily the worst looking computer from a non-Dell company I've ever seen. Considering it comes 1 1/2 year after the Rev. A iMac G5, that's pretty sad.

-alywa

/ typing away happily on my Rev. B iMac G5

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
alywa said:
Seriously... WTF?

I'm sure there are good designers at sony. Theri MP3 players, while being behind the times, are decent looking. Their LCD TVs are nice looking. Their laptops are snazzy.

Yeah, you'd think they could have came up with a better design. The Vaio laptops are really nice looking, IMO.

iPost

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2003
You should have seen their previous model!

If you think that is ugly, you should have seen their previous model:

Attachments

• SonyAllInOne.jpg
    SonyAllInOne.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 122

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
iphil said:
PC makers e.g. sony/dell/HP etc are trying to copy apple designs but never hit the mark..

If you spray paint a tu%* gold, Its still a TU%* :D :D

Nobody is trying to copy Apple designs. There are similarities sometimes, that's all. In this case, there are no similarities between it and anything Apple would design.

EricNau said:
It reminds me of this computer from Dell;
View attachment 40438 View attachment 40439

I'm not sure which one is worse...

I think the Dell with the backpack is worse. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.