Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divadiow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
hello

I bought an adaptor to put my 20gb toshiba ipod harddrive in a PC to see if I could fdisk and format it. The ipod and any mac I plugged it into saw the ipod as having an 82.6gb storage area, so something was up.

formatted in the pc and ended up with 1mb of bad sectors. Ive yet to zero the drive to see if this is still the case after doing that.

how can I repartition the drive into the 3 apple partitions to get it back to a usable state?

and is there a way to mark these bad sectors as bad after getting the HD back to an ipod usable state?

thanks

divadiow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
mad jew said:
Don't zero the hard drive. I'd run the iPod Software Updater on it for a Restore (assuming it's recognised). :)

a normal ipod HD has 3 paritions, my ipod now only has 1.

Ipod updater doesn't repartition the HD. At the moment the ipod just keeps restarting, probably because it can't find the 32mb firmware partition every ipod comes with.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well I did a similar thing but on a Mac. I didn't take the drive out, I just erased it (and wrote zeros to it) and formatted it as FAT32 such that I only had a single partition. iPod Software Updater on a Mac managed to either discover or create the second partition it needed to get the thing working for a little while, once I'd repaired the disk with Disk Utility. It ended up having a failing hard drive so it didn't last very long but that's another story.

Is the hard drive back in the iPod? If you're going to zero the drive, make sure it's very well ventilated because it's a pretty intensive process for a 1.8 inch drive.

divadiow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
mad jew said:
Okay, well I did a similar thing but on a Mac. I didn't take the drive out, I just erased it (and wrote zeros to it) and formatted it as FAT32 such that I only had a single partition. iPod Software Updater on a Mac managed to either discover or create the second partition it needed to get the thing working for a little while, once I'd repaired the disk with Disk Utility. It ended up having a failing hard drive so it didn't last very long but that's another story.

Is the hard drive back in the iPod? If you're going to zero the drive, make sure it's very well ventilated because it's a pretty intensive process for a 1.8 inch drive.

the thing is the mac doesn't see the other two partitions anyway, so you formatting that bit the mac saw was probably just it formatting the visible data partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.