Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Think Secret claims knowledge of a completely new version of the iPod whose main goal in life is video playback.

The new machine will reportedly have a 3.5-inch diagonal display and use a touch screen instead of the current click wheel.

Details concerning capacity of the device and release date aren't yet available, but according to the article release could be as early as late March or early April.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Touch screen sounds good- but I can't imagine they would cripple the music abilities to build a purely video ipod ("main goal in life...").
Surprised that it could come out so soon!

Enterprise8875

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Wow that would be cool! But i dont see Apple releasing something so soon after the 5G iPod. I mean I just got the thing.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
If this comes bundled with a software solution for ripping DVDs I think it would be ridiculously successful. However, I don't think it will, so it will only be hugely successful. Apple will increase the number of videos sold via iTMS, and those of us in the know can rely on Handbrake for DVD ripping.

The only concern I have, is everyone's videos (including those on iTMS) are made for the resolution that the 5G iPod uses... Presumably the native resolution on this new device will be very different, will it support the lower res videos, or will everyone need a whole new collection of videos?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Ill take 3!!!

As to Chaszmyr note, If you want the resolution to be the same as the screen, then yes. But Ive watched 320x240 Lost episodes via the a/v cable on a 640x480 screen and it still looks perfect. No complaints here.:)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
well the reason they can keep making them constantly is because people are just compulsive buyers. just because something new and flashy comes out, doesn't mean you need to get it right away. I know people that have like 4 or 5 ipods. All basically the same functions outside of a color screen.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Somehow this seems highly unlikely. The iPod is still fore and foremost a music player, and a video playback device where you constantly touch the screen will look crappy as anything.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Sounds reasonable based on the patents they just filed, but I still think paying two dollars for one episode of a low-res, compressed, DRM-ed tv show is insane.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Won't replace 5G iPod

My gut feeling is this will be a vPod... not meant to replace the 5G ipod, but truly a multimedia device. Likely larger (will have to be to include enough battery to run the thing for over 2 hours), and will work in harmony with televisions (more so than the current 5G iPod).

At the same time, I predict the announcement of the first feature-length movies available on the iTMS, obviously Pixar and Disney. Oh, and I think they will be in 480p widescreen format.

This is going to be huge, maybe not so much in hardware sales, but in movie sales / ? rentals.

Apple has shown the media content providers that downloadable video is feasible... they have shown the public they can provide a quality product at a good price... they now need us to accept a new paradigm in movie distribution outside of the DVD. They did it with the CD, and they will succeed in this new endeavor as well.

-alywa

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
That sounds very cool, and quite realistic. I was exspecting macs at the anniversary, but this would go down with the press well. However, sounds too good to be true.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
alywa said:
My gut feeling is this will be a vPod... not meant to replace the 5G ipod, but truly a multimedia device.

As far as the name "vPod," who knows... But I think it's more than safe to say it will not replace the 5G iPod.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I can't imagine a touch-screen iPod being a very good music player. There has to be some physicality to the buttons for it to work well as a portable device. Touch screens are necessarily slower to use and require looking at the screen to use.

As for the resolution issue, I think that the current video resolution of iTunes videos would be plenty for a 3.5" display.

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Meh. I have a 5G and while I do load a lot of videos onto it, it's still just a novelty to me. Video on-the-go is a cumbersome activity and I'd never buy into a dedicated player unless they could fit the screen onto a pair of glasses.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
stridey said:
Somehow this seems highly unlikely. The iPod is still fore and foremost a music player, and a video playback device where you constantly touch the screen will look crappy as anything.
Im gonna take a bet that you were also one of the group that doubted the original video iPod?
You must remember that there are all different types in this world and just because you only want a music player doesnt mean there isnt a market for a video player. I for instance and at least 4 others I know cant wait for this thing!

FOR SALE! One lightly used 60gb 5G iPod. aluminum case and invisable shield included.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
of course.. new iPod in the mail, delivery set for today :(

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
miloblithe said:
As for the resolution issue, I think that the current video resolution of iTunes videos would be plenty for a 3.5" display.

I'm not disagreeing. I don't own a 5G iPod, so I'm not sure, but I think that for videos to play on it they have to be the precise resolution of the screen.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
utah_boy2 said:
Then you have to carry around two iPods, One for music one for movies? that seems stupid to me.

Of course not... the vPod will play music as well. That much is obvious.

As far as resolution of the downloads... I'm thinking this device is meant to replace your DVD player at home, in addition to being portable. So, progressive scan quality (480p) would be important for home playback. The screen's resolution won't need to be that high, and would probably conserve battery if it was lower (say around 320). Onboard scaling would take care of these issues.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't think that Apple would make an iPod purely for video. And I dislike the touch screen idea, too many fingerprints!

I do not want one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.