PDA

View Full Version : Intel Macs can boot from USB drives

MacBytes
Feb 9, 2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Intel Macs can boot from USB drives (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060209104724)
Description:: Last week Dan posted about the new complications of Intel OS X drives not being bootable on PowerPC Macs, and vice-versa. The report came from Jon 'Wolf' Rentzsch, who recently updated the originating post with some specifics about booting and partition schemes, with one fairly positive detail: Intel based Macs can boot from USB2 drives.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nbs2
Feb 9, 2006, 10:02 AM
This makes the loss of FW on the iPod a little easier to stomach for people that want to use it as a backup and have been crying for the last (how many months ago did the 5G come out?) few months. While it would be nice to have the higher transfer rate of FW, I can see this having broader appeal.

kugino
Feb 9, 2006, 10:15 AM
agreed. til now, the main reason i kept the 4G ipod was b/c i have tiger installed on it...nice having a backup solution for my ibook when traveling. i have diskwarrior on there for safety. now, i can get that rumored video ipod and still have my bootable safety backup. maybe not for my ibook, but for my future intel ibook (macbook? crossing fingers)

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 10:17 AM
As a side note - I wonder if maybe I can look forward to getting a nice big flash drive with Portable OS X, openoffice and firefox and not having to use XP at work?

How do you plan on booting OS X on a PC?

nagromme
Feb 9, 2006, 10:33 AM
This is great news. I love being able to boot my Mac from my iPod. But even better, I love being able to boot OTHER people's Macs from iPod :) ALL my files, my apps, my OS, my settings... basically my whole Mac... in my pocket. I worked for days that way on my parents' Mac once, when my PowerBook was being serviced.

Almost makes me want to get an iPod Shuffle...

buryyourbrideau
Feb 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
This is a plus considering that USB external drives arwe way more common and also less expensive than Firewire.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 10:41 AM
This is a plus considering that USB external drives arwe way more common and also less expensive than Firewire.
But remember, you get what you pay for . . .

nbs2
Feb 9, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not. That's me trrying to think of something wise to say and coming out looking like an idiot.

ebow
Feb 9, 2006, 11:17 AM
Wow, this is old news. I pointed it out in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2051778#post2051778) nearly a month ago. And while very few may have read that thread, I'm sure I've seen it posted elsewhere.

bigandy
Feb 9, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wow, this is old news. I pointed it out in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2051778#post2051778) nearly a month ago. And while very few may have read that thread, I'm sure I've seen it posted elsewhere.

just what i was thinking :rolleyes:

not that you'd posted it, but that someone had, ages and ages ago... ;)

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 01:15 PM

This has been done long time ago. It's easy as popping the install cd for the developer editions (10.4.1 - 10.4.3) into a compatible machine, watch it install in 25 mins, and voila.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 01:23 PM
This has been done long time ago. It's easy as popping the install cd for the developer editions (10.4.1 - 10.4.3) into a compatible machine, watch it install in 25 mins, and voila.

1. You'd have to have the appropriate hardware.
2. It's illegal. If you want to use illegal software in your home, go ahead. It's your decision. I doubt your work will appreciated if you bring it in to the office though.

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 01:28 PM
1. You'd have to have the appropriate hardware.
2. It's illegal. If you want to use illegal software in your home, go ahead. It's your decision. I doubt your work will appreciated if you bring it in to the office though.

That depends, and besides, what's legal and illegal these days amounts to dead grandma's being sued for illegal downloads, I wouldn't put too much credibility into our legal system as it is.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 01:39 PM
That depends, and besides, what's legal and illegal these days amounts to dead grandma's being sued for illegal downloads, I wouldn't put too much credibility into our legal system as it is.

That's a bad attitude. Maybe you should rob bank? Or go on a murderous rage? Who's to say what is legal and what isn't?

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 01:48 PM
That's a bad attitude.

Maybe, per your judgement. The days aren't the same as the shierff and town days where people had heart and beliefs, today is a big giant supermarket globally since WTO. Your beliefs are worth as much as your money can buy. Our legal system allows major corporations, who by the way, only accounted for 10% of total taxes paid to the US government in year 2004 to use taxpayer's money to execute massive subpoena's to dead people and let the local police stations and courts who also run on tax payer money to find out who is actually guilty. That's pretty rotten. Our legal system allows major corporations to dump poisonous waste and industrial byproducts to thirdworld countries using prison labour and yet we pay for this inmoral act through tax refunds to the major corps, that's some bad attitude. And don't mention the patent legal system, the US has one of the worst, if not the absolute worst patent system in all the countries in the world which have their own patent laws. UK reformed, India reformed, China reformed, Canada has always been better off, and we are left with a legal patent system that says "Windows" is legally the right of Micro$oft. Not that I'm condemning the developers, I thank them for their effort, and would rather PAY them than pay the company they work for who milk them of their worth, same goes for the real artists out there today (anyone ?). But please, our legal system allows the corporations to sink ever lower and shove down our throats bad entertainment to just kill time till we all die, which is actually something a top executive at Hollywood recently confessed to "people are not buying movies or seeing them legally anymore because the quality is terrible", news was at theinquirer.net.

The list goes on and on....

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 01:48 PM
That's a bad attitude. Maybe you should rob bank? Or go on a murderous rage?

My morals maybe ? It's not the legal system, that's for sure. No way am I subbing the legal system for my own beliefs.
I'm not entrusting my beliefs with those of the idiotic people who cooked up the laws fast-food style.

Who's to say what is legal and what isn't?

Not the current status quo known as the law and the investors who shape the law.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 01:52 PM
Is your rant over? Ok, so what does any of this have to do with illegally taking a OS you didn't pay for and installing it on a Windows machine?

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 01:55 PM
Is your rant over? Ok, so what does any of this have to do with illegally taking a OS you didn't pay for and installing it on a Windows machine?

The point is simple, you can judge me legally as you want, but not morally. If i enjoy Mac OS X on my pc, i'll keep it, and I'll send the individual developers some money, good thing I didn't enjoy it that much on my PC, so I don't have to hunt down the developers and keep it.

You think i'm just ranting ? Take one last look at the US the way it is today, give it 20 years tops, then we'll see what happens.

64bytes
Feb 9, 2006, 02:00 PM
I think his point was preddy clear.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 02:01 PM
The point is simple, you can judge me legally as you want, but not morally. If i enjoy Mac OS X on my pc, i'll keep it, and I'll send the individual developers some money, good thing I didn't enjoy it that much on my PC, so I don't have to hunt down the developers and keep it.But what if the developers didn't want your money? They wanted you to remove the OS (which is my guess of what they'd do) instead. I'm not going to judge you at all. All I know is that installing that OS is illegal.

And there were no individual developers. It was developed by a corporation.

You think i'm just ranting ? Take one last look at the US the way it is today, give it 20 years tops, then we'll see what happens.
You are a funny person. Were you in Conspiracy Theory?

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 02:03 PM
But what if the developers didn't want your money? They wanted you to remove the OS (which is my guess of what they'd do) instead. I'm not going to judge you at all. All I know is that installing that OS is illegal.

You are a funny person. Were you in Conspiracy Theory?

You aren't thinking of the developers, you are thinking of the employers and the people with useless MBA's.

"...is illegal", yeah so is speeding

No, but I attended a lot of great speeches and do a lot of "Think Independently".

64bytes
Feb 9, 2006, 02:06 PM

Yeah, probably partly due to capitalism, partly due to spineless legal systems and politicians, I don't like where Canada is going either, with Stephen Harper in place now...

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 02:11 PM
You aren't thinking of the developers, you are thinking of the employers and the people with useless MBA's.Who are the developers then. :rolleyes:

"...is illegal", yeah so is speedingYes, it is. So?

No, but I attended a lot of great speeches and do a lot of "Think Independently". You may want to keep on pondering a little longer . . .

Maxx Power
Feb 9, 2006, 02:14 PM
Who are the developers then. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is. So?

You may want to keep on pondering a little longer . . .

I don't know, but I do know my friend who runs a computer shop who talks to a lot of developers, and they seem to agree with what I said. They all seem to think that not working under pressure with saggy eyelids, and deficient physical excercises to meet the deadlines to produce Windows Vista for DRM purposes is nothing compared to working to fulfill their desires to develop good applications, say under the GPL.

Speeding is a common thing that we've all inadverdently done now or later, we may never be caught, but if you move with the traffic, you are bound to speed, yet I don't hear Mr. Legal systems talk about how bad it is to do that, and how that should be emphasized.

grapes911
Feb 9, 2006, 02:16 PM
^^ It's amazing how far this has gotten off topic. I'm done with this thread.

kugino
Feb 9, 2006, 02:56 PM
i can't believe i read the whole thing...and i can't believe you actually tried to have an intelligent debate with maxx power...there's 5 minutes of your and my life wasted.

ebow
Feb 9, 2006, 09:05 PM

Exactly... now let's get back to the point: bitching about how this is old news. No! No, I mean now we can boot from USB. When multi-GB USB "thumb" drives are produced, we can walk around with a full bootable OS in our pockets. Unlike now, when we can only put it on ... er, iPod... in our pockets. Hmm. :o

uspcommuter
Feb 9, 2006, 11:32 PM
Good point, I believe sandisk made a 2.0 GB stick already.

MacsRgr8
Feb 10, 2006, 03:55 PM
i can't believe i read the whole thing...and i can't believe you actually tried to have an intelligent debate with maxx power...there's 5 minutes of your and my life wasted.

There's no problem in these kind of discussions/debating/argueing/row/war/ etc....

But please keep the discussions on topic, or start a new thread in the appropriate section, hmmm?

the-edge
Feb 14, 2006, 02:31 AM
When multi-GB USB "thumb" drives are produced, we can walk around with a full bootable OS in our pockets

ebow -- That's exactly what I'm trying to do! I have a 4GB USB flash drive (Transcend brand, sold by Data Memory Systems @ $200). No, I'm not rich. I won it in a contest. I have Googled the topic extensively but cannot find anyone who has made a USB flash drive bootable. I came across your post in my search.

Can you imagine how cool it would be to be able to walk up to any Mac, boot it up from your flash drive, and access YOUR environment, with all your stuff?

BTW, Transcend also has an 8GB USB flash drive that Data Memory Systems sells for around $425.