PDA

View Full Version : 2003: Year of the Price Cuts @ Apple?

dricci
Jan 19, 2003, 03:18 AM
Listening to the recent Conference Call rebroadcast, I picked up a vibe that we may be seeing price cuts on Apple's Hardware (desktop/laptop) products this year. In one question in particular, somebody asked about the Power Macs higher price (something like 35% higher) and slower performance than a comparable Dell system. It seemed that Apple hinted at lower prices on products due to "monitoring" the market situations and adjusting accordingly. (referring to the Intro $1799 Power Books, where before it cost well over $2000 for a PowerBook). Since Apple can't compete speed-wise until the IBM 970 later this year, do you think Apple will cut prices to sell more "Pro" Desktop machines until the new chip?

My reason in thinking this: They seem to be passing off Quark as the reason for very sluggish Power Mac sales. When Quark comes out in a few months and Power Mac sales are still getting lower, what will they blame it on? I don't think they'd go directly out and blame it on speed because it may hurt their marketing. I think they'll increase sales by lowering prices to step up sales (and keep investors quiet) until Uncle Steve delivers the 970.

Thoughts?

Akira
Jan 19, 2003, 04:50 AM
Cutting Powerbook prices is easier than cutting desktop prices, since the profitmargin of laptops lies higher.

Still, cheaper PMacs, bring 'em on! :D

Personally I think that the release of Quark XPress will boost PMac sales, since it'll only work in OS X. Most people will have to upgrade their XPress, and computer as well.

I have Quark XPress 5 lying here, it runs on any PowerPC, OS X doesn't...

CrackedButter
Jan 19, 2003, 06:58 AM
Apple don't forget have dropped the prices on the 12" iBooks as well. Very good for their price considering what you get.

leghorn
Jan 19, 2003, 07:04 AM
It would make sense that the closer the 970's are the more prices on G4 systems will drop to create a discrepency in price for the 970's and still make them priced competively.

I imagine the eMac and iBook will still be G4/G3 once the 970's emerge.

I think the iMac will get a new design w/ 970's and the FP's might stay G4 (sort of like CRT now).

But they probably won't go down until mid-April. New products will get some run at comparable to current prices and then the drops will start coming.

There was another poster on another tread who basically said, 'I feel sorry for anyone who needs to buy a system in the next 6 to 9 months.'
I echo the sentiment. If you don't absolutely need it I think you should wait for the 970's and see what they do (if it's negliable, buy discount G4's).
And OS X.3 will be free w/ new purchase just to make the wait a little sweeter. :)

g4jedi
Jan 19, 2003, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, I am one of the poor souls that needs to buy a new G4 soon. I am having a hard time working on my homework assignments for my Maya class on this old 450 Mhz G4. I wish they (Apple) would do something soon, because the longer they take, the less I'll be able to sell this old thing for on eBay! This thing is going to help pay for a new one! I really just wish I could get the dual 1Ghz model for the price of the dual 867. I guess that's a dream. For the first time in my life, I have PC envy (only because of the price to performance ratio). Sigh....

AWishForNoOne
Jan 20, 2003, 02:35 PM
i really feel that if apple can gain competetive pricing than there would be nothing stopping it from taking over the computer world. i know many people that wanted a top quality notebook (apple of course!) but they had to settle for a lesser system (DEcrapLL). i believe that apple will start competetively pricing their products and by 2010 they will have taken over the computer industry as a whole.