Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I am on OSX using Quark 6.5. We often need to place pdf files into Quark and than either print out a laser or make a new pdf and print that. When I place the pdf into Quark it is printing as if it were lo res. all jagged. Almost like it is not linked or missing.....but it is not. I view the pdf's with Acrobat Professional. When I use someone else's machine, to print the same document that came out jagged on my mac, it looks fine .....What gives......

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
First of all, check your print options in Quark...
Options — Picture Output: Normal

Then open the PDF in Acrobat Pro.

Go: Advanced>PDF Optimiser

At top of box set to "Compatible with Acrobat 4 and later"

Uncheck all boxes beneath that about picture resampling and compression. Save as... filev2.

Then try placing and printing that new file instead — Quark 6.x seems to prefer PDF v1.3 (Acrobat 4) files.

Oh... and double-check the PDF filter in your Xtensions Manager to see whether it's working properly and is version 6.5 PPC 1792 or later.

proflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
help

Thanks for the advice I checked these and they all appear to be correct.
Opitmizer did not help , setting in quark are OK , And my pdf filter is PDF filter.xnt???

Any other ideas with that said.....

Blue Velvet said:
First of all, check your print options in Quark...
Options — Picture Output: Normal

Then open the PDF in Acrobat Pro.

Go: Advanced>PDF Optimiser

At top of box set to "Compatible with Acrobat 4 and later"

Uncheck all boxes beneath that about picture resampling and compression. Save as... filev2.

Then try placing and printing that new file instead — Quark 6.x seems to prefer PDF v1.3 (Acrobat 4) files.

Oh... and double-check the PDF filter in your Xtensions Manager to see whether it's working properly and is version 6.5 PPC 1792 or later.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If all else fails, you can try exporting your PDF as an EPS file and placing that.

proflex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Saving as EPS does work and print correctly. Just wandering why my mac is not diplaying the pdf placed correctly while others are. But the EPS is a very good option. Thank You!!!

What's your advice on Binary or ASCII?? Preview as Tiff or Pict??

emw said:
If all else fails, you can try exporting your PDF as an EPS file and placing that.

clarity

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Toronto
more help on low res PDFs

Other than exporting to eps, was any resolution offered?

I have two identical Macs, one creates lowres PDFs from placed PDFs (as you described in your thread), the OTHER created hi res - both are set up identical!!
cannot figure out why the one creates the lowres?

HELP

hawkiiz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
I have the same problem.

Imported pdfs output as if they are lowres/screen res. tiffs, eps, everything else outputs fine. making an eps does not work either and the problem appears no matter if i produce a .ps and distill to pdf of send the document directly to our printer (no matter what printer we try).

the weird thing is SOMETIMES it outputs correctly. then i try the same page one more time and it fails. The pdf i import is of perfect quality - even the ones used last week now seems to be ruined. AND both indesign cs2 and quark 8 (i downloaded the evaluation copy) outputs correctly.

i am seriously running out of ideas, and i am normally able to sort out any problem one way or another.

read somewhere that people had a similar problem with .eps files, and they had to write a code into the terminal in OSX. is there a similar solution when it comes to pdfs??

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have the same problem.

Imported pdfs output as if they are lowres/screen res. tiffs, eps, everything else outputs fine. making an eps does not work either and the problem appears no matter if i produce a .ps and distill to pdf of send the document directly to our printer (no matter what printer we try).

Sounds like a linking problem. What version of Quark are you using? What version of OS X are you using? Do you have Acrobat Pro? Have you tried optimising the PDFs down to v 1.3 or 1.4 (Acrobat 4 or 5)? Do the PDFs have long file names or odd characters in their file names? Do the PDFs collect for output correctly? Do a sample collect for press.

hawkiiz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
i am using quarkXpress passport 6.52 on a Mac pro OsX 10.4.11

the links are correct. (when opening the same document in quark 8 it outputs perfect)
There is no OPI information in the pdfs so thats not the problem - we dont use any OPI server.

The hopeless thing is i now tried making two postscripts of the same file. used the exact same preferences and one of them came out right. the other was low res :eek:

and i can collect the files and link them locally to my computer. no server involved - same problem. luckily we are switching to quark 8 as soon as possible, but i feel we have to find the problem anyway. who knows when it hits us with quark 8?

hawkiiz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
Sounds like a linking problem. What version of Quark are you using? What version of OS X are you using? Do you have Acrobat Pro? Have you tried optimising the PDFs down to v 1.3 or 1.4 (Acrobat 4 or 5)? Do the PDFs have long file names or odd characters in their file names? Do the PDFs collect for output correctly? Do a sample collect for press.

We use acrobat and Enfocus pitstop for preflight. the names are simple e.g. "01-01 4frg"

we have done it this way for a long time and never had problems like this.

thanks anyway :)

hawkiiz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
it is obviously some kind of linking bug.

i tried importing a pdf while holding down the shift key, so the preview is even smaller than normal (36ppi) - this caused the print/output pdf to look even worse, just like on screen in quark. how do i fix this? is the only solution to try and reinstall quark completely?

also weird that this happened almost at the same time on three different machines. could it be that the license thingy that is located on the server is damaged? disk utility on the server to validate user rights etc can fix it? no?

Goop

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
NYC
I'm having the same problem but I don't see that anyone else has indicated that the preview is also dreadful. It looks like a dot-matrix printout of an awkward font. My PDF extension seems to be loaded properly and is up to date.

Quark Express 6.50; Mac OS 10.4.11

dbpalmer55

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Hope this helps

I have two suggestions. I am not sure which one fixed it for me.

1st - Quit Quark and throw away the Jaws folder in the Quark application folder. Quark will recreate this folder the next time you launch it.

2nd - What you print, make sure OPI is turned ON. This makes no sense to me, but it worked.

Hope those things work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.