PDA

View Full Version : The Great BT iTunes Giveaway

MacBytes
Feb 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: The Great BT iTunes Giveaway (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060210120109)
Description:: BT Broadband customers can get free songs from iTunes every day, until 10th March. There is also a chance to win a Video iPod, or an iPod Nano. A BT Broadband email address is required.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Applespider
Feb 10, 2006, 11:10 AM
Although there are only 15,000 a day... and several million BT Broadband customers.

Still, I got one this morning (since my migration apparently hasn't yet triggered on their systems) ;) After 5 years though with no rewards, I don't think they can grudge me a free song though!

NNO-Stephen
Feb 10, 2006, 11:42 AM
woah, that's pretty cool.

a shame Cox would never do anything like this...

Applespider
Feb 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
Even better news... I just redeemed the code they sent me and it's for 10 songs rather than just the 1 I expected :D

zellin
Feb 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
I was hoping for the other BT - Brian Transeau. :(

cycocelica
Feb 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
Damn I thought this had something to do with Blue Tooth.

That is still cool that they are doing that.

XIII
Feb 12, 2006, 07:05 AM
This is cool. I'll be there every morning at 9. :D

Nickygoat
Feb 12, 2006, 11:10 AM
This is cool. I'll be there every morning at 9. :D
You gotta get away from BT - there are so many better deals out there.
As Applespider said in another thread -you need some reward for putting up with them.
And 7.90 worth of free tunes ain't it :D

XIII
Feb 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
You gotta get away from BT - there are so many better deals out there.
As Applespider said in another thread -you need some reward for putting up with them.
And 7.90 worth of free tunes ain't it :D

I knows, I knows. :(

But, I am waiting until there is a significant speed increase to be had.. aka http://www.bethere.co.uk/ I don't wanna get tied into a 12 month contract when really good stuff is like 4 months away.

Applespider
Feb 12, 2006, 12:14 PM
But, I am waiting until there is a significant speed increase to be had.. aka http://www.bethere.co.uk/ I don't wanna get tied into a 12 month contract when really good stuff is like 4 months away.

That's where I went :D 20 a month and synching at 17.5 MB with no download caps.

The only bad thing about Be so far is that the ADSL 2+ router they supply doesn't seem to be compatible with iChat audio/video chat. But that appears to be a bigger problem with the Thomson Speedtouch systems than Be alone.

I guess if you collect a 7.90 voucher each day, then getting 250 back off BT wouldn't be such a bad deal!

Nickygoat
Feb 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
That's where I went :D 20 a month and synching at 17.5 MB with no download caps.

The only bad thing about Be so far is that the ADSL 2+ router they supply doesn't seem to be compatible with iChat audio/video chat. But that appears to be a bigger problem with the Thomson Speedtouch systems than Be alone.

I guess if you collect a 7.90 voucher each day, then getting 250 back off BT wouldn't be such a bad deal!
Completely off topic - do you know anyone who uses iChat?
I haven't met anyone who does use it, or a compatible system.
You mention the Thomson router having problems - is this just with iChat or with VOIP/IM programs in general.
Just asking because Skype is a lifeline for me.
And the 7.90 per day is a good thing if you get up in time ;)

Applespider
Feb 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
Completely off topic - do you know anyone who uses iChat?
You mention the Thomson router having problems - is this just with iChat or with VOIP/IM programs in general.
Just asking because Skype is a lifeline for me.

Nope... although I have a few US friend who use AIM so I have an AIM account. And since I set Jabber up, I can chat to MSN friends through that too.

I believe it's fine with VOIP and Skype - it's just iChat that it ignores. There's a guy with a good handle on the ins and outs on adslguide.org.uk who was talking to the Thomson guys but with no joy so far.

Nickygoat
Feb 12, 2006, 12:54 PM
Nope... although I have a few US friend who use AIM so I have an AIM account. And since I set Jabber up, I can chat to MSN friends through that too.

I believe it's fine with VOIP and Skype - it's just iChat that it ignores. There's a guy with a good handle on the ins and outs on adslguide.org.uk who was talking to the Thomson guys but with no joy so far.
That's good to know.
Ta muchly :D

XIII
Feb 12, 2006, 01:03 PM

Ok, cool. I have a good time to wait for Be.. So I hope the quirks are ironed out by then. I need iChat - I talk to 90% of people on there.

To the person in London who asked who you spoke to on iChat - can I answer the question too... :) I speak to Mac users mostly, off of these boards, and others, where AIM is used because of iChat - it works nicely for us Mac users.

Applespider
Feb 12, 2006, 01:11 PM
So I hope the quirks are ironed out by then. I need iChat - I talk to 90% of people on there.

The text part of iChat works - it's just the audio/video that doesn't work.

XIII
Feb 13, 2006, 03:19 AM
Ok. Cool. :)

10 free songs this morning. ;)

Applespider
Feb 13, 2006, 03:22 AM
Yup... me too! ;)

Chappers
Feb 14, 2006, 04:24 AM
2 days - 20 free songs - cool.

Chappers
Feb 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
Won again today - but BT messed up and sent me a code that had already been used. They will send another one but I think their site is struggling to keep up. I expect they will stop their offer soon.

seemiles
Feb 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
Been collecting up the free tracks (40 so far :D ) and was wondering if anyone had try the buy album option, or does this just work when you buy tracks individually? Any album with less than 10 songs often has a track saying 'Album Only' - I understand the reasons why - but just wondered If I click on buy album will it take that amount of tracks off my total free tracks, or will it charge me....hmmmm....anyone tried this?

Applespider
Feb 15, 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think so. I've had enough credits in the past to buy an album and it wouldn't - which is annoying since you then have to find albums that only have 10 songs to make them worthwhile buying song by song.

Just recalled I've been given some from Apple who say in the email
Note: Song credits are only valid toward the purchase of individual songs only.

If you get a cash gift certificate, there are no restrictions.

Applespider
Feb 20, 2006, 03:44 AM
They will send another one but I think their site is struggling to keep up. I expect they will stop their offer soon.

Hmm... have they stopped? When I tried to get in this morning, I got a Service Unavailable message - or have work just blocked it (not the normal blocked message though)

Neerazan
Feb 20, 2006, 08:16 AM
Hmm... have they stopped? When I tried to get in this morning, I got a Service Unavailable message - or have work just blocked it (not the normal blocked message though)

The site has really been strugling for a few days now, they seem to have fixed the repeat codes issue, but in doing so have set a stupidly low number of concurrent users for the server...

...basically, if you get to the front page of the offer it can then take a few dozen goes to get through to the 'voucher sent' page, if it's too busy it may send a message to that effect, or if it's totally swamped it just returns the 'Service Unavailable' message that you got this morning.

I finally got through successfully at about half ten this morning, having started at nine.

seemiles
Feb 21, 2006, 03:20 AM
Logged in this morning and web address changed to an I.P. address, then from 8.55am I was trying, got the usual 'only one set of vouchers per day bla blah' until 9, then from that to 'no more vouchers availabale today, please try again tomorrow'. and the pages load ridiculously fast. So they have gone from not being able to cope with demand, to being able to dish out 1500 vouchers in the space of ten seconds.......sounds a little fishy to me....

Chappers
Feb 21, 2006, 05:25 AM
I totally I agree - something is fishy here. My Mac is ready to role at
8:55am - when the clock ticks over to 9:00am I press 'enter' - and bam - no more vouchers.

Now I have probably the fastest upload speed of anyone (20 megabit) at work so I should be ok. I find it amazing that Im not first in with that speed.

Yes fishy indeed.

In fact I haven't heard from them regarding a code I received from them last week that had been used (my second such problem)

Applespider
Feb 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
Likewise here - I smell a rat!

I've had a 'confirm' message through twice and not received a voucher. Perhaps 4 will be my limit - still, considering I've now migrated that makes the last month more or less free! ;)

BakedBeans
Feb 21, 2006, 06:04 AM
same here - very dodgy place

david@hgh
Feb 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Seems like a lot of folk are experiencing problems with this. BT now seem to have got their act together though - last week I received the same code 3 days running, and logged a complaint which remained acknowledged but unanswered until today when I noticed that they now had a complaint/comment box about this specific promotion on the FAQ page. Within 10 minutes of logging my complaint there I received the correct replacement vouchers.

David

Chappers
Feb 22, 2006, 04:21 AM
My uberfast upload speed seems to have triumphed again today - total of 80 songs won. But boy do you have to be quick.

update - I won the 3 free music videos - sssuuuccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkks

Applespider
Feb 23, 2006, 04:00 AM
That does suck - particularly since you can't actually choose the ones you want.

I got a voucher this morning - I wonder if some people have given up after the hassles earlier in the week - but can't check what it is until I get home to my Mac.

Neerazan
Feb 23, 2006, 06:23 AM
It's all very odd. I've missed out all of this week, and I hit the enter button at nine on the dot every day except today. Just got the 'sorry we've given 'em all out already message'.

Strange. And very very annoying.

Does anyone here have any inside knowledge of what BT are playing at?

seemiles
Feb 23, 2006, 02:35 PM
120 tracks so far, mate won a nano! lucky b*stard!
I have managed to get one every day, past couple of days it has been really quick, but before that I could be sitting there for like half hour before any luck. Perseverance is the key!!