Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I just wondering about everyone else on how much they care about keeping scratchs off there iPod. Some people I run into are really insane about it. Other dont care as much.

I am on the I dont care to much about keeping it it looking new. For example I put it in my pocket with my car keys pencils among other things. put it on my desk or in a draw that will let it get scrach up. Right now on all sides it shows a lot of those little scratchs. Could be my veiw on the fact it is a portibal players so it is going to take ware and tear of life it self. I dont really care about resale value since I intend to run the thing into the ground (basicly will last for several years and ware out from age). I dont really care about the looks of it. It not like I plan on showing it off to people. I just see no point of the that statement.
I dont really like the people who think they always need to have there ipod on them and in a way that shows everyone that they have one. For me it just a personal device that for me and not for looks at all. (now my dress watch on the other had I am very picky about getting scratchs on but then again it ment to look good)

What is everyone else's take on how they care for how their iPod looks. (there is no real right or wrong answer. I just wondering)

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I try not to get mine scratched but am not too worried (especially about the back). What's weird of course is that by keeping it in a case you can't see if it's scratched or not!

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Well I try and take some care of mine, I wouldnt drag it behind my car or anything, but I dont go to the extent of treating it like it's a baby and not get any scratches on it. I too throw it in my pocket with other stuff, but I am careful where I put it on my desk so my kids or dogs dont knock it off....

thomptin

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2006
I want a case to add protection. i have a cell phone that i have dropped literally over a hundred times on being clumsy, and even though its only a year old it doesnt work well most of the time, obviously i guess. my ipod isnt much bigger than that phone.

I want to prevent scratches b/c i also plan on wearing it out after years of use. Certain cases do give a stylish appearance, however i dont care about those. I think people who buy those are trying to show it off.
I just want my ipod to survive daily use. it was $400...and i dont like to waste money, being a college student. (it was a birthday present)

-lindy

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
I really don't care at all if mine looks worn, as long as it still functions reliably and the display is readable.

I guess mine isn't really that vulnerable to scruffing and scratches as it spends most of its life sitting on a desk or in my hand, but I don't go out of my way to keep it looking like new.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
if I worried about scratches I would never use the thing, I'm like that with everything else, I don't try to damage this though. My friend hates scratches, We had the same computer case and his side panel has one hair-line scratch on it, so we swapped as mine was perfect.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
When I got my 3G iPod over 2 years ago, I got a little miffed at the scratches but got very used to seeing them and eventually didn't really care.

That said, I just got a 5G iPod and got an InvisibleShield to avoid the scratches because I heard these new ones scratch more. For me, the iPod has never been a status symbol. I got the 3G just before the iPod rush went mental and always tried to keep it hidden anyway.

If anything, the iPods that I see out more often are the Minis. That seem to be the ones that people like to put on show.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
mine (see sig) is hermetically sealed inside of an Invisible Shield. i take great care with my iPod and the only scratch it has is from when i frantically ripped the plastic packaging off of it at Christmas. or maybe it came with the scratch? :confused: the iPod may be unscathed, but the case has taken a beating just by staying in an empty jean pocket.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I had a 30 GB white video and I tried to keep it really nice, which was hard. Then a pixel went out, so I exchanged it for a new one at Best Buy. This was just a few weeks ago. I don't really care too much about the scratches on this new one. It's got a lot of small scratches and some big ones too. I like not caring better than caring...it's easier..lol.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I've been through 4 replacements. On my 5th replacement I just said I can't avoid scratches anymore and said to hell with it. My iPod looks like it's been through hell, but it works more than anything. With my first 4 iPods I was super careful with them and each time something ended up broken. So I guess not caring is better than caring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.