Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt1190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
So, I haven't really been using my ipod lately (30gb Photo). Then just last week I was able to pick up a 30gb video for cheap. I have since uploaded all of my tunes and everything and this new ipod rocks. So now I'm trying to sell my old one but after plugging it in through USB, it gives me the sad smiley icon with the apple.com/support link.

Sooo.... I tried connecting it through Firewire, no luck. I tried just charging it through a firewire wall charger, no luck. Even after performing a hard reset, it gives the same icon and will not show in iTunes or on the desktop for my Mac nor PC. The ipod updater does not recognize it's presence either. Did I kill it somehow?? Should I sell it AS-IS?

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
the 30GB iPhoto wont work with the 5G upgraded iTunes right away. It should have told you to perform a firmware upgrade/restore by plugging the iPhoto to a portable power adapter for a couple of minutes. I'm presuming you skipped this part that's why your new iTunes cant recognize your iPhoto. If you haven't connected your iPhoto w/ any other iTunes/computer you might still be able to do a reflash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.