PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Emergency!

beynice
Feb 11, 2006, 08:22 AM
I was in Antigua, Guatemala (Life's a bitch right?) around a month ago, and had an Ipod disaster. I plugged in all my gadgets (cell phone, camera, Ipod, etc.)to recharge them, and all was charging wonderfully....or so it seemed. It looked as if my Ipod had charged correctly but with a few clicks of the wheel it was quite obvious there was trouble. Eventually after a few frustrating minutes trying to get it to work properly and refusing to except that I potentially would have to travel threw Central America without my Ipod/music, it froze up on me! From that horrifying moment on all my disabled Ipod would do when turned on was show the apple logo like usual then a strange yet straight forward logo would appear.. a file with an exclamation mark in front.
I'm thinking that it might have been a power surge or the voltage was a bit to high. All my other gadgets made it threw the charging process without indecent so I'm very unsure of the cause, and I checked the voltage and it is said to be the same as the states?
So my questions to all my fellow Mac geeks are: What the f#%k has happened to my Ipod and what can I do to bring it back to life again!
Ohh, I'm in San Jose, Costa Rica, have great computer/DSL access, and Ipod/cords...is it possible to get this puppy back on track for the rest of my trip? I feel this is all highly impossible but thought I'd ask!
2nd option would be to upgrade from my 20mb to a picpod or to a smaller/less expensive model to last me threw my trip?
but if I buy a new model can I just plug my I trip in and use my Ipod on the radio or do I need to download some Itrip program on to my new Ipod first, and if so , how?
next and hopefully last obstacle...I feel it would be nearly impossible to retrieve my music files from the disabled pod but have a friend who can email me a lot of my music. I then can download from this computer here at my friends house in San Jose. O.K. Does any of this sound feasible or am I trippin'?
Thanks for your patients,
Beybyte

yankeefan24
Feb 11, 2006, 08:40 AM
the folder with an exclamation point happened to me once. now apple has a support link http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003 you also might want to try resetting it. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705 when it happened to me they had to give me a new one. Assuming that you purchased your songs off of iTunes, you could have your friend e-mail them to you (the entire iTunes portion, you have to take both itunes library.data and the folder), but then you would have to authorize the computer your working on now. you would also have to send it in several e-mails (you should zip it first). If you didn't buy off of iTunes (or napster) you can have your friend e-mail them (taking the entire iTunes portion). you just dont have to authorize.

good luck!

mannix87
Feb 11, 2006, 09:20 AM
but if I buy a new model can I just plug my I trip in and use my Ipod on the radio or do I need to download some Itrip program on to my new Ipod first, and if so , how?Beybyte

the old iTrips models are specifically designed for particular iPod models, so if you're planning to buy a new iPod (an upgrade I presume) the iTrip you have may be useless. but if you have one of those generic FM transmitters (those plugged into the iPod connector or into the phone jacks) then you should be fine.