Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
The Return of the Prodigal Son

For years, I had been skeptical about hearing Apple’s plans to convince PC users to the Mac, when in reality I had witnessed the exact opposite—legions of Mac users, tired of living with incompatibility with the PC world, throwing in the towel and taking home another beige box. However, I am finally beginning to believe that Steve Jobs’ strategy of making the Mac a “digital hub” in a bid to attract PC users is working after meeting such a convert—me.

The original iMac and Apple’s boast of a better user-friendly interface didn’t exactly wow me. But the recent introduction of the iPod—a gorgeous piece of machinery by any standard—forced me to give Apple a second look. And that’s when I discovered the innovations and strides Apple has made to pull itself away from Windows: OS X, the digital hub, and finally, the TiBook, which I ordered on Monday. The more I examined OS X’s stability and architecture, the more I became convinced that blue screens of death, hardware incompatibility, and Microsoft’s aggressive marketing muscle to make a PC user use its all of its crappy software need not be a natural state of life when using a PC.

I had entitled this statement as “The Return of the Prodigal Son,” because I, too, was a former Mac user who still fondly remembers his father’s Mac Plus and IIsi. I am very excited about returning to the community that I had abandoned when I received my Gateway P133 as a graduation gift back in 96. I am also excited about, well, feeling excited—using a machine that really is worth caring about is truly heartwarming.

Here are some thoughts concerning different types of users who may or may not follow my lead and switch to the Mac. Please note that some users may overlap:

Price-sensitive causal user: These are users who only want the bare minimum for surfing, e-mailing, word processing, and perhaps some games. They are not technically savvy enough to appreciate or care about the advance state of OS X and Mac hardware—the only thing that they care for is price and price alone. Apple will probably never capture this market, but it is perhaps better that way since the company can’t achieve its margins catering to price-conscious users.

Hard-core and technically savvy PC users: This is a mixed bag. For one, these users are intimately familiar with their PCs and may be hard-pressed to switch. However, they are technically savvy enough to understand that benefits and technical superiority of OS X.

UNIX and LINUX power users: Great potential here. OS X’s UNIX kernel could be a great attraction. Apple should also focus their efforts here.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
My TiBook Model

I got a 550 MHz with 512 MB of RAM and 30 GB of HD. I was very tempted to wait until MacWorld Tokyo for the supposedly new models, but I just couldn't wait any longer--I had been dreaming titanium since December! I was also tempted to shell out some bucks for the 660, but I'd rather take the extra $400 and spending on an iPod. ;):D

islygon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
Taylorsville, UT
Welcome!

I actually did switch back with the original iMac design. It took me a while, but the first slot loading DV model with airport won me over. I am jelous of your TIBook, I hope you enjoy it!

My new iMac 2 should ship soon! My second Mac!

(By the way, if you want to put people in catagories, I am one of the "technically savy" users you mentioned. I am a MCSE, I beta test OS's for Microsoft, I do not hate Microsoft like some Mac users, but after 40+ hours a week fighting Windows issues, it is nice to come home and use my Mac!

Once again, Welcome BACK!!!

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Assuming it's still around, which there seems to be no reason why there wont be... I hope for my TiBook in the summer of 2003 (after the last expo) Yes yes, my graduation money will go for something worthwhile.. G5 by then? Oh how sweet that would be.. That's gonna be my college computer :)

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for the support

It's nice to hear "Welcome Back" or "Good For You." You guys can't imagine the torture I went through when I tried to explain to some of my coworkers and friends why I was going back to a Mac. ("Macs? Isn't Windows better?")

BTW, I am still using my old Toshiba laptop running Windows 98 until my TiBook arrives. IE has just popped up the "This program has performed an illegal operation" warning. And guess what? I didn't do a single thing to provoke it. Does surfing the web cause IE to crash? <sarcasm>

I can't wait to put the torture that is Windows behind me! (Better shut down before my computer sinks further into the toilet.)

tadpole

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2001
unix kernel?

hey fellas,

OSX ain't got no Unix under the hood. Its got a BSD based Mach kernel derivative, which is based on ancient SVR2 (system five, revision 2, a standard from the original AT&T Bell Lab's Unix written by Dennis Ritchie) modern unixes are POSIX compatible sweeties based at least on SVR5. If you don't believe me, try running shell scripts that were written with the Unix95 or Unix98 standards in mind, chances are some will run, and some will definitely choke up a pipe. i am a tech savvy pc/mac/unix box user, i maintain them, i install them, i nurse them back to life.

before you flame me and send me messages of why OSX kicks winsuck's rear, look, i agree. but before you claim that OSX is a unix, check she has under the hood. mac hardware has only one thing going for it, its highly integrated from the ground up. cupertino is a vertically integrated operation, they spec everything on their machines. pc's are more or less jury rigged from different oem parts.

for a more meaningful comparision of brawniness, i challenge you guys to install Linux on the top of the line mac with the dual proc. kernel, and linux on the top of the line AMD with dual proc. run some high bandwidth comparisions with server apps- test for peak and sustained TPU's see what happens. the AMD MPX chipset's high memory bandwidth and 64bit 66mhz PCI supporting southbridge will give it a good advantage in terms of I/O performance. this is particularly important if you have huge graphic files or in my case protein/dna/rna complex sequences, faster pci bus equates to more efficient file transfers, etc. the mac pci bus is 64 bit but handicapped by a 33mhz rate. however i am assuming that the HD's are SCSI160's running off a PCI controller.

later

TazGuido

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
minneapolis
i switched as well!!

I just want to let everyone know, that as a previous pc user that everything that I have done up to this point with my new g4 is way beyond what I thought it would be... and believe me this is coming from someone that didn't know a hole from his head in the ground 2 years ago when I was trying to learn the pc operating system. I have been looking at buying a mac for the last two months and believe me I made up my mind in half the time that a mac was exactly what I wanted, I just didn't know which one. Now I have my new G4 867 and it took me less than 20 minutes to be up and running on the internet. I have to hand it to forums like this that really helped me in my decision. Thanks-- I will be around for a long time to come and eagerly awaiting all the new things that mac has to offer-- good and bad, because this is so much better than the dark side ever was---Period!:D :p

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Not exactly a convert.

After many years of being a PC guy, as of the first of Oct. 2001, I officially entered the world of Mac. That is when I purchased my G4 Ti Powerbook 500 MHz. You may ask: "What finally sold me?" It was several things.

1) I needed a notebook computer.

2) As far as I was concerned, Apple made the best

3) Apple finally released OS X.1

4) Finally had the money to spend

Don't get me wrong, I still own and love my PCs. I built them, so I know exactly what is in each of them. I am a hardware nut, and just can't bring myself to puchase a non-mobile computer that I can't tinker with. So the iMac is out of the question, and so far even with the new PowerMacs out I can't bring myself to pay that much money for something less than my Dual Athlon Desktop. (I know I will get flamed for that.) Built it from scratch reusing only a network card, and a sound card and still paid less than half of the mid-range powermac. Even if I had to buy new sound card and network cards and a new monitor I would still be well under half of the powermac. By the way, I will never again use anything less than Windows NT(2000), or OS X. The stability of both is a thing of beauty compared to Win9x or OS 9,8,7,6.x

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Agreed

Unless a tsunami of PC users convert to Macs, we will still be living in a PC-dominated world. I think the previous post strikes the right compromise for some--use the system that best suits you. Despite the fact that I will probably not go back to buying a PC for myself again, I STILL have to use them when I'm at work or other non-Mac environments.

Apple doesn't necessarily need to convince people to abandon their PCs. They just need to convince a few to buy a Mac as a part of their digital lifestyles.

That said, I am still very happy to have returned to the community. I will continue to use a PC at work (I wish I didn't have to), but I am *very* excited at the prospect of using a cool computer.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I really like Apple portables as well. I think thats where they really shine. The desktops are nice, and the new dual 1gHz Im sure are really fast, but there is something really freakin cool about their TiBooks. I love mine. (Plus, when you flip them over, they're great to cook steak and eggs on! - he he)

Anyway, I think Apple has done very well not only offering an alternative to PC's, but as a second, more personal computer as well. Many people have their home computer, and if they knew that nearly everything they did on it can also be done on a mac portable (MSOffice, Adobe, DVD, Internet, iTunes, iPhoto) they would get a laptop for all of their 'fun' computing.

I think the biggest reason people dont get an Apple is because they are too 'afraid' that it wont be compatible with what they have already done, or wont know how to use it. The first question I get when people ask me about my TiBook is if it runs Windows. They are just the typical consumer, and like someone said, will probably not be willing to spend the money when they cant get a Vaio or something.

Its all about familiarity. People, by nature, (and primarily US citizens) dont want to learn new things, and expand their horizons. Its their way or the highway, and if you dont like it, get outta the way. Sometimes its cool to think of Apple and OSX as a fancier, more expensive (albiet not always AS powerful), yet stable foreign country. Those who are willing to explore get to experience the riches and beauty, but others always stay home to the uglier, more familiar country. Why do you think we, as Americans, only know English? We miss out in a lot of things. But I digress......

UNIX-
Yeah, I have heard all of this before too. My animation prof at school has all of our SGI's and Apple's talking, but he says that the Unix in Apple isnt the same. There are a lot of scripts that require tons of extra work, and run-arounds. However, I still like OSX. Its stable enough for me, the semi-power user.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
High Switching Costs a Barrier

It is true that a major reason PC users don't give Mac a thought is that they are afraid to switch. However, I also want to point out that there are costs--both time and financial--involved in the switch. Before I sold my Dell Inspiron, I had to back up my important files and MP3 on CDs. Since I still don't have my TiBook, I can still imagine that it will take some time for me to get used to its interface and little ins-and-outs. This is in addition to the higher premium one must pay for a Mac. How do you convince people that they should undergo a one-time hassle as a price for reaching computing nirvana?

But then, I am confident that the switch will be worth it. As for the high price, you get what you pay for.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: unix kernel?

Originally posted by tadpole
OSX ain't got no Unix under the hood. Its got a BSD based Mach kernel derivative, [...]

You... don't really know what the Mach kernel is, do you? Hint: it's not "BSD-based," although BSD implementations may be built on top of it.

which is based on ancient SVR2 (system five, revision 2, a standard from the original AT&T Bell Lab's Unix written by Dennis Ritchie)

Saying that something is BSD-based, then immediately saying it's based on System V earlier than R4.2 or so is just a really clever-sounding way of saying you don't know what you're talking about.

modern unixes are POSIX compatible [...]

Nit-picking, but the word you're looking for is "compliant," not "compatible."

...based at least on SVR5.

SVR5-based? That limits it to pretty much UnixWare ("true" SVR5) and very recent releases of AIX. You've really narrowed your definition of "modern UNIX" a lot here.

If you don't believe me, try running shell scripts that were written with the Unix95 or Unix98 standards in mind,

You're not talking about whether or not it's UNIX, but whether or not it qualifies for X/Open certification. Currently certified implementations are Solaris 7 and 8 (SPARC or x86), AIX 4.3 and later, and Tru64 UNIX (formerly Digital Unix / OSF/1). Again, this is a very narrow field.

for a more meaningful comparision of brawniness, i challenge you guys to install Linux on the top of the line mac with the dual proc. kernel, and linux on the top of the line AMD with dual proc.

Okay, where to start with this... You talk about "real UNIX" implementations, and then make reference to Linux, which is far less "real UNIX" than Darwin, historically speaking. Furthermore, the MkLinux ALSO has a Mach microkernel under the hood. Mac Linux ports are well known to lag far behind their x86 counterparts, so it would be hard to establish a fair comparison on this basis.

...run some high bandwidth comparisions with server apps- test for peak and sustained TPU's see what happens.

...which would prove what with regard to the question of whether OS X is or is not a flavor of UNIX? [Note: it is.]

Much.

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
Welcome Back!!!

Funny story (ok not too funny), I showed one of my IT co-workers here a mac and he fell in love with it. He went out and bought one that weekend (an iBook to be exact). When our boss found out, he was b***s***!!!! He did nothing but harrass this guy for weeks. He unfortunately gave in and sold it on EBay and bought a Sony :( Well, atleast I am no convert. My wallpaper at work (which I am forced to work on a Dell workstation) states "It's still not a Mac". My boss don't like me much anymore!!! :) He'll hate me more come July when I pick up my new PB!!!! I will never give in to the DarkSide of Wintel!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Squidly

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2002
S. Jersey
Not sure if this qualifies as a "conversion" - you decide...

My wife and I own a Linux server, a couple of WinNT laptops and a couple of desktops.

We pre-ordered an iMac about a week after they were announced. This will be the first Apple computer for either of us. We love the iPod (already have it working with a WinXP machine), and are looking forward to learning OSX, playing around with the video editing and making a photo-book or three.

We aren't giving up PCs, we're just adding a Mac. Until recently, such a thing wouldn't even be conceivable for us, but the recent releases by Apple have definitely drawn us in.

TazGuido

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
minneapolis
just to let you know -- the new iMac is just one of the reasons that I made me switch from pc to mac-- I was so blown away by the tech that went into it, that I had to go see and I have been hooked ever since and I bought my first mac yesterday-- a new G4-- I firmly believe that things are only going to get better for Apple as well-- look out pee cees!!:eek:

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
OS X not UNIX.... What a load of crap. So you can't run XFree86 on OS X? (ps, you can...). BH!

Well, what I really wanted to say with my post:

WELCOME BACK macktheknife!!!
Hope you enjoy your (2nd) stay! :p

:D

pcdoctor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
Well, maybe I'm not a mac convert but I just purchased Mandrake Linux 8.1.
I'm going to install it on my pc.
I'm going to try hard not to purchase anymore versions of windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.