Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With rumors of the possibility of a full Video iPod circulating over the past week, users have been putting together pieces of the puzzle.

Apple Gesture User Interface patent revealed last week showed a number of images demonstrating the use of virtual iPod-like click-wheel on a tablet interface. The patent images show examples of use with iTunes, iPhoto, Word Processing and iPod interfaces. This has led to a number of mockup images of what a full-screen Video iPod would look like.

The same patent demonstres the use of gestures to perform basic operations, including panning over images as well as zooming in (zoom). A video demonstrating "Multi-Touch Interaction Experiments has been circulating that gives live demonstrations of such technology in the use of photo and map manipuation. The video has no association with Apple, but provides an impressive demonstration of the concepts behind the patent application.

Initial user reactions to the possibility of such a touch-intensive interface has drawn concerns about scratch problems which has been a point of contention with the iPod nano. Wired, however, discusses a new coating technology designed to protect such surfaces:

The wonder coatings also might make small video screens on electronic devices such as iPods and mobile phones more durable.

No real timeframe or even potential use by Apple is mentioned in the article, but does provide some interesting progress in a relevant technology.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
There seems to be two main opinions about the multi-touch interaction video on various discussion forusm. One side says that this is a video of Apple developed technology in action. The other says that Apple is patenting technology like this being developed by others.

I have no firm opinion either way, but are there any indications out there as to which story is more accurate? I'd love to know if that video is indeed Apple technology.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Slow comment day.

The gesture interface looks way cool, but honestly, how percise could it be. Would I really want to spend time adjusting the sizes and retouching images if by touching it wrong, something goes wrong, and I've constantly gotta undo it?

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
i figured id get right to the source, and emailed the head researcher of that project of the touch screen video

ill let you guys know what he says when i get a response

jtquick2001

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004
the click wheel

I hope those controls in the "vpod" fade out after not useing them. It looked like a pain seeing king kong behind controls.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
derajfast said:
i figured id get right to the source, and emailed the head researcher of that project of the touch screen video

ill let you guys know what he says when i get a response

You do realize if he's in any way associated with Apple or the technology FOR Apple he won't give you any useful info.

donelson

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2005
London, UK
I did touch-pad page turning gestures in the Spatial Data Management System at MIT in 1975-1977 for my Bachelor's Thesis. A more advanced version was completed for my Master's Thesis in 1978, and work continued through 1980 on the system.

In both systems, you could give a page-turning gesture (drag finger from upper-right down to lower-left on the pad) to advance pages (animation shown). Reversing the direction flipped pages backwards, with animation.

I also allowed other gestures, to raise and lower audio volume (circular motions), to go back to the index of a book (double-tap), to erase text (zig-zag wipeout), etc etc

See picture of "Captain Kirk Chair" with little orange touch pads in each arm (along with pressure sensitive joysticks) and closeups of the touch-pad used.

http://www.armchair-travel.com/donelson/sdms-1.jpg
http://www.armchair-travel.com/donelson/sdms-2.jpg
http://www.armchair-travel.com/donelson/sdms-3.jpg
http://www.armchair-travel.com/donelson/sdms-4.jpg

The ACM Siggraph paper is online PDF at
http://www.armchair-travel.com/donelson/SDMS-Siggraph-78.pdf
so it's definitely been publish and IS PRIOR ART.

Nudist

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2003
Canberrra Australia
jtquick2001 said:
I hope those controls in the "vpod" fade out after not useing them. It looked like a pain seeing king kong behind controls.

The controls would only appear if you touched the screen indicating you want to use them. Otherwise they would stay out of sight. :)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
inkswamp said:
There seems to be two main opinions about the multi-touch interaction video on various discussion forusm. One side says that this is a video of Apple developed technology in action. The other says that Apple is patenting technology like this being developed by others.

I have no firm opinion either way, but are there any indications out there as to which story is more accurate? I'd love to know if that video is indeed Apple technology.

there are definitely a few times in the video where you can clearly see a VERY Mac OS X Dock-like menu across the top being used. also noticed that this "dock" appears to display white text beneath each item and what looks like the familiar black triangle, just like OS X. i'd really like to know what OS that is. a lot of those graphics look much like OS X's Core Image effects and the Flurry screensaver. i can't imagine that is anything Windows-based. very interesting.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 876

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
inkswamp said:
It's really a matter of two very different technologies that can achieve similar results.

The NYU stuff isn't likely to fit into something like an iPod at a reasonable cost any time soon, but it also can detect some interesting things that might allow it to do things conventional panels can't touch, such as 3D surfaces.

Nudist

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2003
Canberrra Australia
I would imagine that the technology is the gesturing video could be very computer intensive. Wonder what effect it would have a responsiveness of scrolling the wheel?

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
I bet you get those gnarly hands from slowly absorbing the new special coating they'll put on the screen. Another lawsuit sure to happen.

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
MacPod

I like the 'MacPod' name. However with a name like that it will have to be more functional than just for just viewing video and playing music. Then you're talking about a PDA like device which is cool as I would be more likely to buy one. Steve Jobs doesn't like em' but he also said no to a video iPod last year...

One way to help with the scratch and fingerprints issue is to go with a textured screen or matte finish. A lot of people like the glossy look but it will be terrible for fingerprints.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
My 2 cents

Apple have learnt allot from the iPod in terms of what money and market share can be found by doing something people want right. Sure their computer sales will continue to increase, hopefully accelerating from 5-10% in a few years as consumers get the Halo effect and Mac hardware drops to competitive pricing, but if Apple can pull off a new device - that all Mac owners will want in addition to their Macs and iPods, just like the iPod was to the Mac when it began, then more market share (of a market that is yet to really evolve) and money is in the offing.

To do this is needs to be cool - no brainer there - Apple of course can do this. They know easy to use intuitive interfaces and slick fashionable designs are half the battel.

It needs to find or create a niche - highly portable and yet almost fully capable computer - PDA and tablet market, coupled with home automation controller infancy market and something new as well. Clearly from the patent app thats where they are headed. I was onyl suprised not to see more multimedia controls discussed for TV. Again, its looking good from the patents. As long as the screen works and remains usuable and viewable after being touched frequently, and the battery life doesn't suck, etc...

It needs to seemlessly synch wirelessly with the Mac household - .Mac and Sync mean Apple are well advanced with this already.

It needs to be priced right. Not sure if this will happen in the first few revs, but within 18 months or so of the first release prices should be about right.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
OK, I would love to have a mactablet but even more than that, I'd like a 17 inch macbook pro convertable that also has all the special 'gestures' we keep seeing.

Do you think we'll just get the tablet or also MBP convertable versions?

makes my choice a lot harder this summer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.