PDA

View Full Version : 3g ipod for 40 quid

student_trap
Feb 12, 2006, 09:20 AM
hey guys,
just a quick question, a friend of a friend is selling her ipod 3g 20 gig with remote and no other accessories for 40. prob is, its pretty scratched and has a rattle up by where the input jack goes, as if something is loose. ive already got a charger and stuff, so thats all cool. you guys think its a good idea????

cheers in advance as always

Jopling
Feb 12, 2006, 09:34 AM
Not a good idea. The saudering is breaking away around the minijack which will render the ipod as only a harddrive. I had it happen to my 2g iPod and apple stated it wasn't covered under warranty even though I took care of my iPod like a baby. They wanted $259(US) to fix it.

student_trap
Feb 12, 2006, 09:46 AM
so the only thing that will go is the jack??? coz i was planning to use it in my jbl on stage, use my colour pod for the road. so will the dock imput and hard disk be fine. also, at the sides the metal seems to be bulging a little, any ideas?

Nickygoat
Feb 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
You could try here (http://www.ukipodrepairs.com/ipod_3g.php). They're asking £45 for a replacement headphone jack socket.
Can't vouch for how could they are though - maybe someone else can?
Let us know how you get on
EDIT: And £40 for a 4G battery - that might be useful in a while ;-)
EDITx2 : The sides on mine bulge a little - because I dropped it from about 5' up. Doesn't seem to affect it though. Note that I have an iPod photo not a 3G.

Mord
Feb 12, 2006, 11:09 AM
i took my 3g apart and removed the copper foil around the headphone socket was dodgy, then and till this day it has worked fine, buy it, if you dont i'd like to.