PDA

View Full Version : Video iPod ('Approaching the end of a cycle')

gunpowda
Feb 12, 2006, 03:14 PM
Do you think that purchasing a Video iPod is a good idea at the moment, or would it be worth waiting until the rumoured touch-screen version surfaces?

The buyers' guide on this site advises against it, but it doesn't seem to me as though it's been out for that long.

Thanks.

Loge
Feb 12, 2006, 04:13 PM
Though as the Buyers Guide says, the iPod is split across multiple lines so it is hard to be sure. I think the 5G will continue for quite a while yet, but it may co-exist (for some time) with a newer device that may appear, if the latest rumours are to be believed.

1rottenapple
Feb 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
Do you think that purchasing a Video iPod is a good idea at the moment, or would it be worth waiting until the rumoured touch-screen version surfaces?

The buyers' guide on this site advises against it, but it doesn't seem to me as though it's been out for that long.

Thanks.

I think if you need a dedicated video player, then wait because we all know Apple has that concept under its sleeve. After all, they know have a ton video content on itunes to push this concept more so than when it launched the 5g.

steve_hill4
Feb 12, 2006, 04:22 PM
I would say that if you want it for music, go for one now, if you would use it for video a fair bit too, hang on. It's a bit of a wait though, so be prepared.

They will almost certainly co-exist for some time anyway, but even if they don't, the older ones will still be around in stores as end of line items, probably discounted a little too. So it may be worth holding out in the long run.

If I didn't have an iPod now, I would probably just buy as I don't/wouldn't use the video side much at the moment.

Chupa Chupa
Feb 12, 2006, 04:29 PM
If you go with a typical 6-8 month refresh period then the iPod is due for something in the April-June period. But I'd say Apple needs to milk the current iPod for a bit longer. But it's Apple so who knows. I mean who'd thunk they'd KO the G5 iMac with iSight so soon or that they'd let the Mac mini just languish.

steve_hill4
Feb 12, 2006, 04:39 PM
Well, it often seems that there is a new Generation out about every 12 months or so, within that there can be 3-4 revisions, minor or major. I would say that April is the right time for an update on the current 5G anyway, but it's not guaranteed.

I am expecting at some point they will go to 40/80GB, but with the 30/60GB line proving so popular, who knows.

Piarco
Feb 13, 2006, 04:29 AM
The 5G (its iPod with Video and not a Video iPod - video playback is little more than an added bonus) is nowhere near EOL. You've just got to know whether you want an iPod which is designed to play video in a more effective way (bigger screen) or a more music centric iPod - like the current 5G.

If you can wait I'd say wait... I'm not bothered about the rumoured iPods video functionality, but if it has other features I may well give up my 5G...