PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Upgraded iLife has Benefits, but It's No Bargain

MacBytes
Feb 12, 2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple's Upgraded iLife has Benefits, but It's No Bargain (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060212175159)
Description:: Washington Post review of iLife '06, Verdict: Not worth the upgrade price unless you need and iPhoto upgrade. Strong criticism of iWebllll

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

AvSRoCkCO1067
Feb 12, 2006, 05:03 PM
Right...79 dollars for 5 terrific programs (albeit iWeb is somewhat oversimplified)...I think it's an amazing bargin compared to what you get on Windows PCs. Plus, it COMES with all new Macs!

iGary
Feb 12, 2006, 05:06 PM
Rob Pegaro is usually very pro Mac.

Odd.

Applespider
Feb 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
I think it's fair enough. If you didn't have that many pics in iPhoto, then iPhoto 5 was fine. He's just saying that there are other cheaper ways to get the functionality if that's all you need it for. iWeb isn't worth it on its own and if you don't use the other iApps then why bother?

For the iPhoto improvements and the iMovie themes, it was worth it for me to upgrade.

iMeowbot
Feb 12, 2006, 05:21 PM
The guy does raise a valid point, there really isn't $79 worth of value there for most people who already have last year's version. It's meaningless that it contains five programs when most users won't use most of them.

iGary
Feb 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
For the iPhoto improvements and the iMovie themes, it was worth it for me to upgrade.

Ditto. My nieces and nephews are all about my picture-casts. :D

hyperpasta
Feb 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
Very true. I don't regret upgrading all the way from 04 to 06, but none of the features added in 06 from 05 are very special.

Even so, I have a hunch he'll be flamed by a few hundred frothing-at-the-mouth Macheads from "those other forums" and write a follow-up article about how crazy the entire Mac user base is.

He misses a few things, though. He says the 05 update to iMovie was small - but it added HD, which while not widely usable, was absolutely incredible at that price. Also, the 06 update to iMovie is very nice: themes are awesome and well worth it. iPhoto, in my opinion, was kind of left out this year, with only cosmetic improvements.

Apple needs to create a community around iWeb that can make themes - only then will it take off.

Timepass
Feb 12, 2006, 05:31 PM
Right...79 dollars for 5 terrific programs (albeit iWeb is somewhat oversimplified)...I think it's an amazing bargin compared to what you get on Windows PCs. Plus, it COMES with all new Macs!

I dont think that what the guy is commenting about. He is refering to fact of the cost of going from iLife 05 to iLife 06 not being a bargen and not being worth it. I am on the side that i think the cost is way to high for the "upgraded". Now if one didnt have ilife 05 it another store and I think the cost looks pretty good. Going from 04 to 06 would be a good deal. Not so much from 05 to 06

illegalprelude
Feb 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
I agree. he isnt saying the program is bad or whatever but I have iLife 05 and it just dosent offer enough to me to go and buy 06. Maybe with iLife 07 ill get my hands on em

tk421
Feb 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
This year's model has much in common with the last two: It brings major upgrades to iPhoto while making relatively few changes to iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand.

I didn't mind the article too much, but this stuck out. GarageBand was upgraded dramatically from iLife '04 to iLife '05. I upgraded to '05 for this reason alone!

ZipZilla
Feb 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple's Upgraded iLife has Benefits, but It's No Bargain (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060212175159)
Description:: Washington Post review of iLife '06, Verdict: Not worth the upgrade price unless you need and iPhoto upgrade. Strong criticism of iWebllll

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Hard to take a guy seriously when he doesnt' do his homework. There have been FOUR releases of iLife, the first in 2003. Get it right, Rob!

saurus
Feb 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
I didn't mind the article too much, but this stuck out. GarageBand was upgraded dramatically from iLife '04 to iLife '05. I upgraded to '05 for this reason alone!

I couldn't believe this myself, running a dual 2gig Powermac. More than 12 tracks in Garageband and the clock isn't able to keep up! At that point it's usability also goes downhill, since adding new samples takes too long to kick in. So Garageband needs a rewrite job, or the same performance tweak as iPhoto.

And if Apple spent more than 2 weeks writing iWeb, then they should be ashamed of themselves. Its a hack job, and usable ONLY if you're totally computer illierate and you need nothing more than a 5 (or fewer) webpages for an entire site. No image sharing, converts all images to uncompressed PNG format, and funily enough, no end of issues reported from .mac users who've ironically run out of disk space or can't upload. And why they save your content in some burried library folder and then duplicate it when you publish it, doubling required resouces, is anyone's guess. Now try moving content to a different Mac...

Yes iPhoto is better, but thats about it. Thankfully I use Aperture instead which is much better at cataloging, and web publishing photo pages.

iDVD's new templates are nice, but why do we only get just a handful of templates each year. In 12 months, couldn't they come up with more?

So I agree, its not worth $79. $49 maybe, but not $79. Same goes for iWork. :(

Diatribe
Feb 13, 2006, 10:17 AM
I dont think that what the guy is commenting about. He is refering to fact of the cost of going from iLife 05 to iLife 06 not being a bargen and not being worth it. I am on the side that i think the cost is way to high for the "upgraded". Now if one didnt have ilife 05 it another store and I think the cost looks pretty good. Going from 04 to 06 would be a good deal. Not so much from 05 to 06

I'll be going from iLife 04 to 07. That will feel like a new computer... :D

Eidorian
Feb 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
$59 for the education version. WHY NOT? :cool:

jer2eydevil88
Feb 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
I heavily use iPhoto to manage my photo library and I yet I am not certain the $59 student copy of iLife is worth the price. Full screen viewing alone is a huge boost in features... but Picasa has had that kind of feature in it since before Google bought it...

Truth be told Apple dropped the ball, I think its safe to say most of us would want revolutionary not evolutionary new features.

macEfan
Feb 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
I still think its worth it when you buy the family pack( 5 licences) that only costs $100.

SiliconAddict
Feb 13, 2006, 11:44 AM

For users who already have a iLife, which is pretty much everyone, it isn't that much of a bargain. Esp if you don't need half the apps. As an example I don't expect I will be using anything other then iPhoto (Until Lightroom ships as a UB.) and iWeb. iDVD? Not really. IMovie? Don't own a camcorder. garageband? Not really. It might be fun to play around with.

SiliconAddict
Feb 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Rob Pegaro is usually very pro Mac.

Odd.

Being pro Mac doesn't mean you need to give Apple a virtual blowjob every time they come out with sometime new.

sunfast
Feb 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
06 was my first ever copy of iLife and I love it. I can totally see how it wouldn't necessarily be worth an upgrade if you owned 05 though.

Timepass
Feb 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
Being pro Mac doesn't mean you need to give Apple a virtual blowjob every time they come out with sometime new.

very true. If one was like then the joke about iCrap would hold true which would be really sad in itself.
*for those who dont know what know what the term iCrap means (rememeber this was only ment as a joke and was floating on the web for a while, I find it kind of funny taking as a joke noughting more)
Apple would
Basicly take dog crap (or something like it)
Paint it white. Put it in a pretty box
Sell it for over 100 bucks
Apple users would buy it like crazy then claim that it is the greatest thing ever and any one who points out the truth would get flamed.
Hence the term iCrap.

Either way I would hope that the apple comminty as a whole is not that stupid or ingoranted to fall for it. I would feel sorry for anyone who is that stupid.

That being said I am kind of surpised no one has made a joke item based on it. like an random case for the iPod. (it would be clean and made out of plasic) it would be pretty intersting playing off that joke.

ibook30
Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
I purchased the upgrade and I have enyoyed the new features and iWeb. But- I would have felt much better if it was a $40 upgrade!

sjk
Feb 13, 2006, 11:08 PM
I've got iLife '05 and am still undecided about buying '06. I'd go for it if I knew for sure the (&@#$ beachball bug that's plagued me in iPhoto '05 were fixed.