PDA

View Full Version : Working out with ipod?

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 07:31 PM
I am thinking of buying a video ipod. I listen to a lot of podcast and music. I want something I can workout with and a screen. So don't really want a nano due to size and no vid.

So my question is how is working out with a full size ipod? Does it get in the way? Whats the best way to wear it? And does it skip?

I would be used to running...

Thanks

2nyRiggz
Feb 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure if they have armbands for the 5G but that would be your best bet for the gym.....its stays out of your way.

Bless

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
They have an arm band in the apple store. I just was not sure just it would get in the way, or how well it would be in there. I dont want it to come flying out.

Thanks for info, good to know it will be out of the way.

Gymnut
Feb 12, 2006, 07:49 PM
Why not purchase a shuffle as well, even more so with the price reductions? I have a 40GB iPod that I primarily use in the car and a 1GB shuffle that I use to workout w/DLO armband.

2nyRiggz
Feb 12, 2006, 07:50 PM
It's made to stay out of your way so the armband sounds like its good for you...try it out and make sure the cord wont get in your way....i hate when that happens.

Bless

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah I have thought about doing this as well.. I just was not sure if it would be that big a deal with a ipod vid. I felt kinda silly buying two ipods. Not really sure why just seem kinda un-nessary. But might end up doing it anyways.

Gymnut
Feb 12, 2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah I have thought about doing this as well.. I just was not sure if it would be that big a deal with a ipod vid. I felt kinda silly buying two ipods. Not really sure why just seem kinda un-nessary. But might end up doing it anyways.

Well, 1GB of music is more than enough to workout with and I've tried running with my iPod clipped to my waist and spent half the time worrying it'd fall off midstride. While the armband won't make me forget that I've got a shuffle on my bicep, it's less cumbersome than an iPod. After all, you're there to workout not to be scrolling through 30-60GB worth of music. ;)

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 08:04 PM
Yeah if I get a shuffle I would probably get the 512mb just cause I would not need that much space. I was just kinda wanting to kill two birds with one stone if I could. But I want to spend 300 bucks and then have it fall off. So might just be the better investment.

Zman5225
Feb 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
I use my shuffle to work out with all the time. With 1gb I hardly ever, if ever, hear the same song more then once a week. I try to change up the songs on it weekly to keep it fresh though. I have the sport thing that goes around the neck. It's enclosed in a plastic case, and has a orange neck string. It's perfect for working out.

Z

Zman5225
Feb 12, 2006, 08:17 PM
here ya go, found the link for the shuffle case

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72902/wo/i5BWmkUHWr9j3Q8P8sI1feldTVy/4.SLID?mco=543000CC&nplm=M9758G%2FA

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thats cool. I will probably end up getting both. However I want the video first.

Anyone else workout with the full size, still would not mind hearing more on how it is.. But by the time I spend 30 on an arm band I could get a shuffle for 20 more from the apple referb store.

mad jew
Feb 12, 2006, 08:33 PM
I used to go through iPods every six months because the hard drives would not be up to any sort of vigourous running. They would start skipping after only a few weeks and things would go steadily downhill from there, eventually deeming themselves inoperable.

I got a nano when they first came out and it hasn't skipped once and has showed no signs of failing in any way. Hard drive-based MP3 players were not designed for running. :(

ehayut
Feb 12, 2006, 08:34 PM
Working out with an ipod with a hard drive would make me nervous. I would definitely stick to a shuffle or a nano for working out

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys. I think I have it down. Just goint to get used ipod shuffle, or some other off name cheapo on ebay....

TsuaSai
Feb 12, 2006, 09:03 PM
Well its settled. I talked it over with my other half about buying a shuffle as well. And they were cool with it. I was a little worried about saying hey I was two ipods :)

But now i wont even have to worry about it.

thanks for all the help.

iShane
Feb 12, 2006, 09:05 PM
If I were you I would get a shuffle for the gym seeing as the prices are so low and I would get a video for main use.

JPA
Feb 12, 2006, 09:25 PM
I use my shuffle to work out with all the time. With 1gb I hardly ever, if ever, hear the same song more then once a week. I try to change up the songs on it weekly to keep it fresh though. I have the sport thing that goes around the neck. It's enclosed in a plastic case, and has a orange neck string. It's perfect for working out.

here ya go, found the link for the shuffle case

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=M9758G%2FA

Zman or anybody else, I'm just curious if you think that case is really necessary or worth it. I haven't run with my Shuffle but have worked out with it a few times with just the included neck lanyard. I probably wouldn't go out in the rain but there doesn't look to be anything that would be harmed by a little sweat. Maybe the answer is it makes sense with the more expensive 1 GB especially before the price drop, but maybe not for the less expensive 512 MB after the price drop.

Alasta
Feb 13, 2006, 01:16 AM
Until now, I haven't bothered to take my full size iPod when I go out for my regular Saturday afternoon run because I figured that it would be a nuisance. Last weekend, I decided to try taking it with me, and I was right.

Fortunately, I have a Shuffle stashed in one of my drawers, and I think it will be much more suitable. I have no intention of buying a wrist band for it, because it's so light that you wouldn't even notice it bopping about when you wear it on the lanyard.

QCassidy352
Feb 13, 2006, 01:52 AM
I have no intention of buying a wrist band for it, because it's so light that you wouldn't even notice it bopping about when you wear it on the lanyard.

Gotta disagree with that. I run every day and used to own a shuffle, and I notice even something as small as my 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch cross bouncing around my neck when I forget to take it off. The shuffle is small, but it's not that small.

I had a belt clip for the shuffle and that was perfect - cost like $10 or $15 and i never noticed it. When I wore shorts with those little key-pockets, I could even just slip the shuffle in there.

Then I sold both my mini and shuffle and now just have a nano. It's perfect. As easy to run with as a shuffle (fits in those key pockets!), never skips, holds my whole music collection (barely!) and has a screen for when I'm not working out.

I've had a 1G 5 GB ipod, 2 minis, a shuffle, and this nano. The nano is a truly amazing product, hands down the best of the bunch in so many ways, absolutely no doubt about it. (The only thing I ever miss is the battery life on my 2G mini... now that was impressive.) I'd reconsider it if I were you.

Lord Sandwich
Feb 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
I busted my 4G's hard drive in a few months after putting it in the cup holder of the treadmill whilst running. That was a bad idea. :o

Now I take a shuffle to the gym and use my 5G for everything else. Armband or not, I think this solution's better since you're not carrying anything delicate at all.

~Shard~
Feb 13, 2006, 09:54 AM
I use my (relatively larger) 3G iPod in the gym all the time when I'm working out, running, etc. and have never had any issues with it. I have an armband for it, but also have a belt clip which works just as well for me. With the current smaller, slimmer iPods you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

TsuaSai
Feb 13, 2006, 09:58 AM
For 50 bucks off of apple I can not risk it at all though. I also saw some cheap knock off ones on ebay for like 25 even. Which ever one i get for working out will only be used 3 times a week. So does not have to be huge. I just don't want to risk anything after I have dropped 300 if you know what I mean. Right now I am trying to sell my PSP since I never use it anymore. So I hope to be buying a Ipod next week if all goes well.

AndyR
Feb 13, 2006, 10:37 AM
I used to use my Mini for the gym but after selling that and getting a 5g I just couldn't bring myself to take it with me for fear of dropping or knackering it!

As the Shuffle just dropped in price I got myself a 512mb model loaded it up (3hrs of songs) and much happier now :)

topher
Feb 13, 2006, 11:21 AM
I wasn't sure from your original post if "working out" meant at the gym, lifting weights, situps, etc. Or if you were specifically interested in running.

I do both, with my first generation iPod, pretty much everyday.

I've been using a beltclip for the gym, and it's totally ok. From time to time, I'll have to reposition the clip to a different place on my belt, because what I'm doing will require me to lay on my side, or something. But, it's 100% manageable. I run my headphones inside my shirt, so that I don't snag them while I lift. Other than that, there's not much to it.

When I run, I hold my iPod. This has never been an inconvenience to me, because I draft specific playlists, and use the internal clock for interval training and monitoring my pace (so I need to be able to check the screen).

So, if you need a full ipod, I wouldn't worry about working it into your workout routines, they are sturdy devices, and the selection of cases, etc. will allow you to find something that will work.

Jovian9
Feb 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
I used to go through iPods every six months because the hard drives would not be up to any sort of vigourous running. They would start skipping after only a few weeks and things would go steadily downhill from there, eventually deeming themselves inoperable.

I have had zero problems running with iPods (and the only ones I have owned are hard drive based.....1G-5G and iPod Mini's). I run in mini-marathons (and train a lot leading up to them). I mountain bike. I work out in a gym. I even play basketball with my iPods on my arm. Right now I have a video iPod with an armband from xtrememac. It works great! Here is the link:
http://www.xtrememac.com/cases/video/sportwrap.php

Though if you are running I would suggest putting your iPod somewhere where there is not a lot of motion. I put mine in the armband on my upper arm. When you run there is not much motion there (compared to your wrist or your waist.

~Shard~
Feb 13, 2006, 12:06 PM

Really? That's too bad to hear. I've run the equivalent of countless marathons with my iPod, inclines, interval training, sprints, you name it, and not one problem at all in 3 years....

mad jew
Feb 13, 2006, 10:04 PM
To be fair, I don't have an armband for it and I mainly sprint so it gets a massive amount of jolting. :o

~Shard~
Feb 13, 2006, 10:53 PM
To be fair, I don't have an armband for it and I mainly sprint so it gets a massive amount of jolting. :o

Ah, I see - yes, that would do it... ;)